Poll: Echinacea or Olive leaf extract HURTS or HELPS? dead skunk

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by moewee, Nov 11, 2002.

1. moewee

moewee New Member

or dead skunk?!
    PLEASE!
    I am confused because some say echinacea "stimulates" the immune system and we don't need stimulation, we are already on overload?

CAN ANYONE HELP!

And some also say Olive leaf extract is good to kill viruses?
    I've got alot of viruses! HELP AGAIN!

I took echinacea and used to get sick...I mean really sick.
    It made me feel horrible, but a few days later I was really good. Was I in "die off"?

What is everyones opinion (doctors or own) or knowledge or web information?

Thanks everyone!

Moewee
  2. moewee

moewee New Member

or dead skunk?!
    PLEASE!
    I am confused because some say echinacea "stimulates" the immune system and we don't need stimulation, we are already on overload?

CAN ANYONE HELP!

And some also say Olive leaf extract is good to kill viruses?
    I've got alot of viruses! HELP AGAIN!

I took echinacea and used to get sick...I mean really sick.
    It made me feel horrible, but a few days later I was really good. Was I in "die off"?

What is everyones opinion (doctors or own) or knowledge or web information?

Thanks everyone!

Moewee
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

IMO, we should probably not take Echinacea because of it's stimulating effects. However, olive leaf just kills things directly,as I understand it, so that should be OK. I did not take echinacea because my Naturopath told me not to, but she did have me on olive leaf. I honestly didn't notice much difference after two months on it, and prefer to use raw garlic. Not only does it kill things, but it smells like something that would kill things, giving me extra faith in it! :)
    Klutzo
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I do know that Echinacea and Goldenseal are natural antibiotics, and should not be taken on a regular basis. I think that 10 days would be the longest for a full treatment. Then a two week interval to start again.

I am not familiar with Olive Leaf Oil. I used Olive Oil, but not the leaf thing.

Hopefully someone else can help more, especially Herblady, she would have a lot of information for you.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

Thumbs up on olive leaf extract; thumbs down on echinacea.

I have an auto-immune disease (lupus) and I think many of us have over active immune systems.

Annette
  6. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

I think you have to be careful for a couple of things with Echinacea.

First, if you are allergic to Goldenrod, you should not take it. It says so on the bottle. (My doctor never told me this)! I took it and felt HORRIBLE!!!!! I am severely allergic to Goldenrod.

I have also read that it should only be taken for a short period of time, not continually. I found this info in From Fatigued to Fantastic (a great book for CFS and FM)
  7. moewee

moewee New Member

Thank you to all I need all the help I can get!

Klutzo how much garlic and when and how? thank you always love your posts! did you have a reaction or just didnt take echinacea? I can get the faith for it!

Shirl, Shalom! and thank you, have you gotten relief from echinacea? I know to take it like an antibiotic - so I could hypothetically suffer die off too from the viruses? YES?
    Herblady please!!! And great job too as our peacekeeper!

stillafreemind THANKS! I am hoping you can elaborate....did you feel sick when you took the echinacea...only for colds? Why not every 2 weeks? Do you think the olive leaf and others help more than echinacea or is it just for candida (grapefruit extract I know helps candida?)

AnnetteP thank you too! do you like the results from Olive leaf or just got sick like I did on echinacea? I know lupus is overactive immune and it would be bad to overstimulate....do you / did you have viruses?
    Do you think CFIDS manifests itself as an over active immune system? some docs say yes other no and believe that echinacea
    can actually balance out the system?

Sue....love em? Why esp. the echinacea? You do not have a reaction? at all? Do you think we have over active immune systems?

Spoonerpaws--- thanks and have read the fantastic book and partially committed it to memory....he says to use echinacea?!!! How do you know if you are allergic to Goldenrod? You said you took it and felt HORRIBLE!!!!!But it could have been die off?
    Thank you!!!

I am thankful to all and please herblady or other please come to my rescue...help me please! I know we are all different but look forward to your replies!

thanks
    moewee

8. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

Hi

I know that I am allergic to goldenrod because I had allergy testing years ago.

My doctor gave me the Echinacea, and then after I took it, I read the bottle that says "do not take if you are allergic to Goldenrod"!
  9. moewee

moewee New Member

Please more input!
    And a special thank you to thise who answered this already.

thanks
    moewee

[ advertisement ]