POLL Exercise a big factor in having a lot less pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tammy21, Apr 5, 2006.

1. tammy21

tammy21 New Member

Untill three weeks ago I was feeling alot better with no pain with the FM until I stopped exercising and havent done any since, that is when the pains came back in full force. so it really makes me think that exercise was the main key along with taking the medication- effexor XR.
    Just a thought.

Take care everyone
    Tammy
  2. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

Maybe, when you start off slowly and build up. But yesterday I did just a few stretches and sit ups for my back and I am in agony today. I can barely walk. I have had to take several Ultracets and I am still in agony, I need help. Dr. gave me new meds, which are being mailed to me so when I start, we'll see. I hope to get into a routine like yours.
  3. tammy21

tammy21 New Member

That is no good to hear.I hope you can get started on your pills soon. I brought a treadmill and started with doing a couple of minutes a day then up to five and so on.
    Take care
    Tammy
  4. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

My fm hit full force last summer due to excessive exercising.Rehuemy. said that my workouts probably brought on the worst flare I have ever had.

Since then I continue to go to the gym.Some weeks I can go 3 or 4 times.Sometimes I can't go for 2 weeks. But it is like my reheumy. said....exercise is a pill you gotta take.She said you may end up in the bed for 2 days after exercising but it is important to get some physical activity.

Well my take on that is I have pain no matter if I exercise or not.I just go to the gym when I am not dying.Then I am dying in pain that night,take pain meds. and go back to the gym then off 2 days.

My workouts are no where near what they use to be.I only do 30 minutes of elpitcal and some lower body toning.

I wish exercise made my pain go away but I know that a simple task of pulling a few weeds out of my garden can put me in the bed just as easy as a gentle workout.

I really can't see how exercise helps the pain but it does help me emotionally.Plus I really do enjoy exercising.

Exercising is a very hard thing to do when you suffer with fm/cfs.SOmetimes I think the only reason I keep it up is to keep me from running my car into someone or going up to someone and just knocking their block off.It helps me let off steam and I have a ton of that puffing out my _____ (you know).

Sheila
  5. mamaeagle0103

mamaeagle0103 New Member

I so appreciate what you said in your post...that you are going to hurt with or without exercise. That meant so much to me. I had actually come to the conclusion on my own that I was going to go to the gym, regardless!! The last two times I went to the gym I did leave with a migraine. But I now have the proper medication to cope with the pain. I too, love to work out in a gym setting. I also get the emotional benefit you are speeking of. I have put on 10 lbs since my DX less that a month ago because of sheer depression, not wanting to move because it caused so much pain every time I did. I have been living with this un-DX for 15 years and I am not going to let the DX stop me from trying to have some sense of normalcy. I will not be able to do the workouts I used to, but sitting here in pain is very depressing in and of itself. I would much prefer to do very mild strength training (in pain) at the gym. I can learn my limits and adhere to that and be more emotionally happy for it. I am rambling but this just hit me hard. Thank You again!!!
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

but I know it makes others worse.

Just my 2 cents. Love AC
  7. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I used to do a very simple easy daily work out that was mostly resistance, no jumping around or anything. Done with a bar with a band on it, could even do most of it sitting in a kitchen chair.

I can't do it now because of back pain.

I started walking my golden retriever, Rey, for a half mile at a time. I try for every day, sometimes I can't do it, but sometimes I can. I push myself to do it because I need it and because Rey sits there with the leash and his I love you mom brown eyes and I have to get up and take him!

They say if your dog is overweight, you're not getting enough exercise!
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Tammy:

I exercise using a low-impact cardio work out by Richard
    Simmons, at the suggestion of my doctor. It kills me to do it, so I try when I can and if I can not finish it, even
    Simmons says on the tape: quit if you can not make it any further.

I say exercise hurts (for me, anyway).

NyroFan
  9. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

Believe me, I am not one to exercise. I started Curves about a month and a half ago and I feel so much better.

I have to say that I was just also diagnosed with Lupus on top of the Fibro and Chronic Fatigue. I am also having physical therapy. I just started the plaquenil for the Lupus.

I guess what I am trying to say that with a medicine change and physical therapy and the exercise.... I have seen a huge improvement in the way I feel.

I do know that after I am finished at Curves I feel so good all over. Don't get me wrong, I am still sore and stiff at times, but I have not noticed the aching like I used to.

Jodi
  10. Jordane

Jordane New Member

Hi Tammy,
    I have pain if I exercise or not,but it tends to make it worse if I try to ecercise( walks,climb stairs,etc).
    Take care!
    Jordane
  11. fowlerfab522

fowlerfab522 New Member

I am exercising as much as I can. I am afraid not to.
    Yes, there is lots of pain that goes with it. This past week has been worse than usual for me. I did not go for 3 days. I usually do 30 min on the ecliptical and then stomach work. I cut back to 15 min this week and still the stomach work. I also have PT 3 times a week. I really do not think it help though.

Keep checking in
  12. onnaroll

onnaroll New Member

I have disturbing symptoms and i live with chronic back and arm pain, pain in lower right back all the way to my ribs its nawing i hate it..lol but this is fibro..I also get knots in my shoulders and neck pain uggg I hate being sick! anyway I been useing my ball i love it! the kids got it for me for christmas, I can get a real good stretch and use all my muscles with this without straining to much and this works my abs, im hoping if i can get my core stronger it will ease some of this pain!!!....not! but it sure does help ease up my pain some. I also use tennis balls and roll out my nots its terrible all this daily pain i have cause its so focused on one spot in my back but this is fibro? all this chronic pain is the pits for me sry i venting...........ok im getting nausiated writing about it...=( ..gl everyone im praying for everyone and for a cure .

[This Message was Edited on 04/06/2006]