Poll: Feel better after blood drawn? (FM)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jmcdelaney, Nov 11, 2006.

1. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

I know this sounds crazy, but what about this "syndrome" doesn't?

I have noticed (whether it is coincidence or not) that every time I have my blood drawn I feel better for a day or so. Anybody else?

Joann
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

Hemochromatosis is one of the things all those with FM should be checked for... it is an iron overload blood disorder, the cure for which is........(drum roll)......... giving blood.

I know about this because my MIL found out she had it when in her early 70s - muscles aching, fatigue, etc. Her doctor caught it because a friend of his had just been found to have it.

"Usually" in women it doesn't show up until after menopause as the monthly periods allow for enough blood letting, but can show up in young women, so age is not necessarily a factor at all;

Also, regarding men, it "usually" shows up earlier in their lives since they don't menstruate, but again it may not show up until later in life.

IE, no hard and fast rules... & altho it is considered very likely to have a hereditary factor, they're not sure as they have found it in people with no known familial history for it.

Regular blood tests for ferrition (iron) alone will NOT catch it, you need additional specific tests for it, which you can order directly from the American Hemochromatosis Society:
    www.americanhs.org

It is important to get checked - excess iron ends up in the liver, causes death ultimately...

SO I hope you check it out. It really helped my MIL - she gave blood regularly (about once/month) until her iron levels were normal, she gets checked now once/year. She actually hasn't had to give blood in quite a few years thankfully as she's now 89.

It was also the first thing I had my son re-checked for when he started getting all the symptoms of CF/FM - he was negative, but positive for Lyme.

There are HUGE overlaps in symptoms in these diseases, it pays to rule them out tho!

all the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 11/11/2006]
  3. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

Wow, thanks Victoria. I searched it just now...Wow! I can't believe with all the research I have done on my symptoms that I missed one. I will get it checked. I really thought this was a crazy coincidence.

Joann
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

Would love to hear back what your test results are!

best,
    Victoria
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

A simple extract from rice bran called phytic acid, or IP6, can serve as a very effective form of iron chelation that is non-toxic, inexpensive and can be done without a prescription.

Tsuno Food & Rice Company of Wakayama, Japan is the only manufacturer of IP6 in the world; any brand you purchase would come from this company. Since it is all the same product, the least expensive brand is probably the best one to choose,
  6. Summit

Summit New Member

I have to tell tell you, when I read your post, I thought (nope, it has to be in your head) Sorry, but, once again, this board has memebers who come up with answers! I'm glad you may have found a reason for your feeling after giving blood. good luck to you
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

have never heard of that being recommended for hemochromatosis... as it is caused by the body, not by exposure; and/but seems like giving blood is an easy thing for most, and definitely keeps it in check.

The problem is that the body keeps storing more than it needs... which is why one has to keep getting checked regularly once you know you have it or a family history of it. Since it's not a one-time event, I'm not sure taking a chelating agent regularly or semi-regularly would be a good thing.

best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 11/11/2006]

[ advertisement ]