Poll. For those who have FM/CFS. Which came first

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CanBrit, Sep 27, 2006.

1. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Hi All:

My Dr believe my current fatigue state is due to CFS and not FM or my Hypothyroidism.

For those of you with multiple diagnoses, which came first.

Just curious

Thanks,

Eileen
  2. ladykew

ladykew New Member

I was first dx'd with FMS in 1987. Ten years later, in
    1997, I was dx'd with CIDS.

~~~Lew
  3. Butterfly_of_grace

Butterfly_of_grace New Member

DX w/ CFS in my early 20's...then DX with Fibro by the time I was 34.

My Doctor says they are definately linked. He "feels" CFS starts before the fibro kicks in. But thats just his opinion.

I feel, in my opinion, they are definately linked.
  4. rigby

rigby New Member

12 years for CFS and 4 years for FM Sharon
  5. ladykew

ladykew New Member

FM or CFIDS - Which CAME FIRST..??

Strangely enough, even though I had FMS for ten years prior to being dx'd with CFIDS, my most chronic and debilitating disease at the present time is the CFIDS, for I have been in a devastating flare for almost three months which has left me 90% housebound/bedbound.

My worst symptoms are, in order, incapacitating fatigue, insomnia, unrelentless pain; when with the FMS flares, my worst symptom was definitely unrelenting pain, which also left me housebound/bedbound. I did, however, have my pain pills to take during those times which helped somewhat, but having someone pack my body in ice was the best pain reliever for the FMS flares for me.

CFIDS pain is altogether different. I haven't found anything to cure the pain, but the overall feeling of failed health, IBS, inflammed stomach, generalized feeling of total debilitating weakness and helplessness is physically and emotionally draining. Which is worse? The one you are
    currently having!

~~~Lew

[This Message was Edited on 09/28/2006]
  6. bossco

bossco New Member

I have been diagnosed with cfids for over 10 years now, no signs of fibro, curious the many exceptions to this illness.
  7. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Eileen,

Did your Hypothyroidism come about by erradication or removal of your thyroid gland, or is your thyroid just adnmormally low? And what medication are you taking for this?

I have also had this problem. I had Graves Disease, which is a serious thyroid disease where the thyroid produces too much thyroid hormone and causes your heart to beat at a dangerously fast pace and irregularly. My Endocrinologist chose to erradicate mine with Radiation. I now have to take Synthroid the rest of my life and have to take blood tests for Thyroid blood panels every so often to see if the medication is still exact. This is because without a thyroid, I am now Hypothyroid, also.

Did this come before your CFS and FMS?

Graves Disease is an autoimmune disease.

~~~~Lew
  8. ladykew

ladykew New Member

I'm very curious about your hypothyroidism....would you mind sharing some of how it came about with us? Was just
    wondering if at some point it could have been hyper instead of hypo..?

~~~~Lew
  9. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

My FM started as a result of a stomach bug I picked up on holiday in 2004. My hypothyroid problems started six months later.

My Dr. feels that the virus started the FM and then attacked my thyroid. I'm currently taking 75 mcg of levothyroxin but am now experiencing extreme fatigue, constipation, dry hair and skin.

They are retesting my FT3, FT4 and TSH levels along with a bunch of other blood tests. Interestingly enough, along with the extreme fatigue, I have swollen glands in my neck, which from what I gather can be CFS.

The more the merrier I guess.

Regards

Eileen
  10. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Hi, Eileen,
    I'm glad to hear they are retesting your thyroid TSH panel. If you are already taking Synthroid, and you are
    still having symptoms of underactive thyroid, it would seem that your medication is not exact, or that there is
    another problem.

In any case, luckily, it's very easy to test the thyroid.

I wish you good luck, and hope that whatever your dx, it
    will be the easiest to treat and the less painful or stressful for you.

I don't remember if I told you or not, but my FMS came first. I've had it for 20+ years. My CFIDS was dx'd about
    10 years ago. I suffer much more with the CFIDS than from
    the FMS. The pain of FMS is debilitating, but CFIDS for
    me is even more so. I have been in bed now for 14 days, and have just been reading the message boards every day.

Tonight I must be coming out of the flare, because I've been posting like crazy! Everyone has been so nice to reply to me...it sure takes away the feelings of being so
    lonely.

May God be with you, and let us know about your tests.

~~~Lew
  11. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

My CFS started first, & became severe with fibro three years later because my doctor would not believe that there was anything wrong with me, & would not give me any time off work.
  12. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I got diagnosed with Fm 16 years ago. Although I had fatigue then it wasn`t that bad. The last 6 years the CFS has really kicked in after much stressful times.

I think I had this stuff mildly when I was a kid already. I was sick alot and just starting getting horrible anxiety when I was about 11. That lasted into my twenties until I got on medication.

Sandy
  13. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I've had CFS (cognitive fuzziness, endocrine problems, immune problems, fatigue, crash after exercise, agitated exhaustion) for about 11 years.

Fibro is minor so far. Muscles (especially my hamstrings get stiff; usually yoga helps a lot. Sometimes I feel pressure point pain. Not often.

I'm hoping things don't get worse, but considering how new problems keep cropping up for me I'm not counting on it.