Poll, Heart problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chopindog, Feb 2, 2006.

1. chopindog

chopindog New Member

How many of you know that you are having heart problems, palpitations, to fast, to slow, circulation, on and on. But have had heart tests that say you are fine?

Did a regular cardiac stress test find problems that other tests did not find?

After all the tests, do you still believe they are not catching the problems?

Joy
  2. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

I've had heart arrythmia for some time. I posted last night about being in the ER yesterday with chest pain, tingling in arms, both hands numb, dizzy, shortness of breath. You know, all the "bad" symptoms. In addition, I felt very disoriented, very "off" ... it's hard to explain ... but it was a very scary feeling. I just KNEW I was having a heart attack!!!

Well, after 7 lovely hours in the ER ... nope, no heart problems at all! Sheesh, that's the 4th or 5th time in five years that I've gone through this at the ER. I should have known better than to go through that again, but when it hurts that bad it's frightening. And what if I hadn't gone and it really WAS something?!?! That'd be just my luck! :) Even so, I was mad at myself for "giving in" ... not to mention frustrated, tired, and sad!!!

I've had chest pain and what I felt were heart issues for about 5 years. I had a full cardiac work up 4 years ago, including a heart catherization. No problems found. I was finally diagnosed with costochondritis. I haven't had regular cardiac checks since then, but I have kept my PCP informed what's going on.

The chest pain and irregular heartbeat issues got worse this past fall. In November I wore a Holter event monitor for 24 hours; it revealed lots of PVC's and I was referred to a cardiologist. Due to my past history of no cardiac issues, AND because I'm sick of doctors(!), I didn't go see a cardiologist then. In light of what happened yesterday, I guess I should have, huh? Anyway, I called the cardiologist today and I have an appointment next Tuesday.

In addition to the pain/arrythmia/PVC's, sometimes I swear my heart is going to beat so hard it will come flying out of my chest!!! That's what is happening right now as I'm typing. At times I even feel like it is "rocking" my body. Very freaky feeling!

I hate this!!!!

Kat

[This Message was Edited on 02/02/2006]
  3. futurehope

futurehope New Member

I have Mitral Valve Prolapse. They found it when I was 18, heard it thru a stethoscope (sp). I have had some echocardigrams done and they said mine was in a place which should never cause me any harm. But they still like to do an echo about once every five years.

On the flip side, alot of times when I shower or am around alot of moisture that has heat, I feel like my heart is doing flip flops. I try to ignore it.

I have shortness of breath sometimes too.

I have never had any other tests done for this problem.

Hope someone can help you more,
    Love and prayers,
    Brenda
  4. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I have had the heart monitor thing?! I had to wear it for twenty four hours. I forget what it is called (SERIOUS FOG TONIGHT...PLUS PAIN) sorry.

Anyway, the cardiologist wants me to have a stress test.

I have palpatations too....plus chest pains.

Mama
  5. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I have an extremely high heart rate but the cardiologist said my heart was fine! My PCP said he didn't understand how that could be. Gentle Hugs Pamela
  6. sarahann61

sarahann61 New Member

I have had problems with deep pitting edema, at both legs, I was tested years ago for PVD , and the circulation was good. So, my Dr. decided it was the prednisone causing it....... I have taken the prednisone regularly for 11 yrs.

Before that I was dx. with Cushings syndrome and going into congestive heart failure.. The MD that I saw at the time ,gave a cortisone cocktail to every pt. I would go for a sinus or bladder infection and get one.. I went off any anti-inflammatory med, and no cortisone injections and got better...

Then had the full blown synovitis attack, and was given massive doses of cortisone and put on 40 mg. of prednisone daily.....

For several years, I have had episodes with a fluttering feeling in my chest, blood pressure and heart rate would he high.. and I have had some chest pain..

I just went through all of the test, and had a abnormal stress test, so I had the heart cath... But, with all of the test that I had, I just have a enlarged muscle in my heart, and it has a hard time relaxing, between contractions.................

I have had a lot of EKG's, that didn't show anything, through the years.. The Echocardiogram ,is what showed the abnormality ,first.........
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

I have had heart problems, and have had all the tests, and they did show problems.

I have a dual-chamber pacemaker, congestive heart failure, an enlarged heart, a heart murmur, supraventricular tachardia, bradycardia, and atrail fibrillation.

I take 3 heart meds a day, plus an aspirin daily.
  8. zena01

zena01 New Member

I get them too!!!! Amd the tests say I'm fine! I have worn the holter monitor, had a stress test, and had the x-ray where it takes a half hour to go over your chest then you eat then they do it again. NOTHING! And like fm, there is something going on but you can't prove it with a test!

I get three kinds. One is the racing pulse extremely fast--excitement and exertion seem to bring it on. the next, is the flipflop thing and is reallypainful chest front a heavy ache that almost comes in waves...the third kind my heart just increases a little, but I have horrible chest pain that radiates outward from center of chest into arms. This, I now think may be my stomach or esophogous?

With both, I get soaking wet with sweat and feel like I am hot but when I touch my skin it is cold and clammy. I get breathless.I have to lie down for awhile to get it to go away....If I'm not careful it will come right back. It usually doesn't last really long, and when it starts easing off I'll fall asleep. I seem to be weak afterwards, and am extremely tired.

Since all my heart tests were perfect, Dr. said it must just be panic attacks - after having my very first panic attack at the dentists two weeks ago, I know that my "episodes" are not panic attacks! I always swear the next time I'm going to go straight to the hospital and check it out while it is going on but when It does, it is wrong time or whatever excuse, would be over by the time I got there, whatever. I really do need to though. Maybe when it is happening they could see something.
    Sherri
  9. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I used to have heart palpitations (started when I was 16) that would come on suddenly and make me feel sick and feel as though I was going to pass out (never did). I had EKG's and it never showed anything. (for the problem to show up, I found out later, the heart had to be doing the palpitations at the time). Finally, when I was in my early 40's, a heart doctor said he thought I had a problem with the electrical system of my heart.

The problem was finding the area that was malfunctioning. I wore the halter monitor a couple of times and they finally found the defective area. I had heart surgery several years ago and haven't had any problems since.

Ellen
  10. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Over the last couple of years I have developed a fast heart beat and chest pain. I had a stress test and that was normal. My doctor really doesn`t seem to take it too seriously. It does worry me a little considering what doctor Cheney said about us and our heart.
  11. crdmkr2004

crdmkr2004 New Member

I have had heart palpatations since I was 16. I too have all the whole gammet of tests that always show up with nothing. The cardiologist said it is just an electrical short and that my heart is fine. It is very annoying. I get up over 200 beats per minute, the flip flop and the slow skip a beat too. THere is a doctor in Vancouver that can do a minor surgery to correct the so called electrical problem but until I find out whether its FM or Lupus that I have, I am too scared to have the surgery as with Lupus I would be at higher risk for blood clots, bleeding out and infection. Maybe I am just a chicken, I don't know.
    Sandy
    [This Message was Edited on 02/05/2006]
  12. mary124

mary124 New Member

I had opened heart surgery for my 43rd birthday. (Aortic Anuerysm; and a heart valve replacement). I go in for regular checkups every 6 months. Everything is fine.
  13. proteinlady

proteinlady New Member

I have PVCs that were detected by holter monitored. As a result they did a stress echo to make sure the heart was functioning and beating normally during exercise. I take a low dose of beta blocker for the PVCs.
  14. chopindog

chopindog New Member

So many replies! I am with those of you who know without a doubt that something is wrong and the doctors just are not finding it.
    I beleive they don't find it because the don't test people with CFIDS correctly. I know there is a test out there that can test us acurately calLed a Impedence cardiography, but they have to use a specific algorithm with it and most importantly they have to do it while we are standing! Its when we stand up that everything goes wrong. And for me atleast its standing in one place, not walking. This is because we don't have enough cardiac output, so if we are just standing all of the blood pools in our extremeties so pur hearts beat faster and faster to make up for this, as our blood pressure begins to drop, if we don't start moving or lay down then our BP gets so low we begin sweating, get dizzy, nauseated, shaky,light headed, palpitations and all the other wonderfull symptoms. So when we get to this point we have to lay down or else we will probably pass out.

None of these things I am writing are new or theories of my own. They have been proven in clinical trials by Arnold Peckerman, Paul Cheney and others.But the cardiologists either don't know about these studies , or refuse to learn from them. So many of us continue to walk around with our hearts getting destroyed more and more everyday untill our mitral valves do finally prolapse, or our heart muscle becomes permanantly damaged,and our other vital organs our further damaged do to lack of circulation. then they catch it. To late.

The reason why the regular tests don't show it is because they are either taken lying down. Or in the case of cardiac stress tests while moving. When we are moving our muscles in our extremeties work to pump the blood better, so the tests come back slightly abnormal and the Doctors say, "oh your just fine." and we believe them. Just like people believed them when they said our thyroids were fine, and are adrenals were fine, and our immune systems are fine and on and on." BECAUSE THE TESTS THEY RUN DON"T WORK FOR US!!!!!!!"

I guess for me this heart thing is my soapbox with this disease! I believe that many of our symptoms are either caused or made much worse because so many of our hearts don't work right and leave us with not enough circulation further damaging our vital organs, including our brains.

I have called around my area (Salt Lake) and have found a handfull of doctors who have the machine to do the Impedence cardiography, and most of them only charge about $100 to do the test. Sounds great huh! Well not one of them does it with the pt. standing, and I can't get one receptionist, or nurse to let me talk to the Dr. about it. I can't even get them to let me fax the studies to the doctors. I can't believe how closed minded and mean people can be. The studies are done. The algorithm has been used for 50 yrs and is approved by the FDA or whoever. But I can't find one doctor to use the machine the way the studies say it needs to be used.

So why am I writing all of this? Because I am mad, and I want to educate my fellow victims of this DD. I am also going to continue to try to get a doctor to do this test the way it is meant to be used for those with CFIDS. I am going to fight for my right to be treated and to be acknowleged for the fact that my heart is not working, that a Pulse of 160 just sitting up is not okay, that just like many other lab tests they have said we passed when infact we have not. They are simply runing the test incorrectly. This is our hearts were talking about!

So I guess I want to let you know I am educated, and I am fighting for this one. I hope more of you find out more about this test, and start fighting for it to be done, and done right, in your area. Thanks for listening and replying!
    I know this one is long! I hope you all don't think I am crazy!!
    Love to all, Joy

[This Message was Edited on 02/06/2006]
  15. ~Sibyle~

~Sibyle~ New Member

it is just that no doctor will test me for them. You see, I am too young at 26 to be having any kind of heart problems. It doesn't matter that I spend each day feeling like I am going to pass out at any given moment or that my BP and pulse are absurdly low. Or the palpitations that I have disturb me each day. NO, I should be THANKFUL to have these problems.

In the mean time, I feel as though I am DYING a slow death. But that is OK because I am a woman and am overly dramatic. I could not possibly have a problem.

OK, I am a little bitter about this. Sorry.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/03/2006]
  16. berrytired

berrytired New Member

I'm pretty sure I have this. I'm being tested in April. I find that interesting that so many of us have it. I've had it since a child...I've never been able to sleep on my left side without pain (muscle pain)
  17. jess

jess New Member

Hi all, I have heart problems too. I have diastolic dysfunction. I get palpitations and sometimes rapid and slow heart rates. My Dr. said the problem is my heart doesn't relax properly, that the heart is stiff.I guess all my muscles are stiff and the heart is a muscle too. Anyhow, I have just about gotten rid of the palpitations by taking magnesium. coq10, l carnitine fumerate and d ribose. They work great for me. Jess
  18. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Add me to the list. I am 28 with MVP, 2 leaky valves (murmer) RBBB, Nonspecific ST/T wave changes, lowerered EF, etc. I have PVC's day and night and runs of them that almost make me pass out. My cardio doesnt seem to care much becasue of my age and I dont have any known heart disease.

I hate this heart crap. I cant even take meds or supplmeents w/o my heart going into runs of PVC's...so frustrating.

Suz
  19. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Thatb exact same thing, that happens to me too. It was happening the whole time I was in dental office today. I was relaxed but that same thing. Them later on today trying to have a three way conversation, that strange head feeling, the palpitations, thudding away. We bought a home BP/pulse monitor and my BP was great 122/72 yet my pulse was racing away. As my BP was low I could say it was not panic, but I think what may be happening is that we release adrenaline when we have no need to.

I have a mildly dilated ascending aorta, which, if it does not continue to expand, should not require surgery, but will if it continues.

I would like to blame the amitryptiline for the palpitations but they started before I started to take it.

I have no idea where this sudden "nervous" heartbeat/head thing has come from. <Maybe yet another symptom. Actually apart from the neck, my pain level is barely at a 2 today, yet I have this doomy thing going on. Sort of akin to the vertigo but without as much sensation.

I find it very scary. I also wanted to add that the other stress tests, even echo test did not show the aorta problem only the TEE did.

Love Anne C
    [This Message was Edited on 03/30/2006]
  20. babygirl44

babygirl44 New Member

People i had these same things for years no one could find anything in and out of ER for the past 6 years stress test nothing wrong finally 02/27/06 told my Doc i wanted to do what ever it would take to find out for sure there was nothing wrong.
    He said the only way was heart catiher.

I said ok he said no cause i wasn't at high risk i said yes my insurance is paying and if thats the only way to tell a 100% then i want it no you don't have high blood presure you don't have any signs yah just shortness of breath.
    sharp pains that stop me in my tracks,just light headed pain in arms yes, were doing it,
    ok come to hospital 03/01/06 7:00am OK 10:00am i'm being told i'm going to have open heart surgery in the moring your main artury is 95% blocked.

Husband says no we need second opiion doc says no! were not letting her leave this hospital we don't understand why she's still alive some one must be looking out for her.

The same doc that said NO! we don't need to do it.(smile)

It was a day before my 43 birth day and a week before my 2 year anniversery i am 44 4 weeks ago and married 3 years 3 weeks ago.
    People, we know are bodies better than any Doc. So listen to your heart and mind. No one could understand why i wasn't worried are upset it was because i new something was wrong all long.
    But he (GOD) took care of me and watched over me kept me going until they would listen to me and fix the problem.
    GOD BLESS