POLL: How do you avoid stress?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by UnicornK, May 6, 2006.

1. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I would be very interested to learn how people avoid stress. I know to lose the toxic friends. But what are other ways that work for you?

Thanks!

God Bless.
  2. jenni4736

jenni4736 New Member

Hello unicornk

I am not sure stress is something we can avoid. I think we just get better at the management of it.

We keep the volume on TV and radios lower. The kids play OUTSIDE anytime the weather permits.

My favorite thing is candles though. I know they bother some, but for me...they really work. Just a plain vanilla candle with the lights turned off and a good book in a hot bath!

Great question uni. If we can learn some tricks to help us all YEA!
    jenni
  3. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I experience a lot of anxiety! I am just starting to set my life up to be less stressful. Here are some things that I'm trying:

1. Just started yoga - only the very low-impact kind, stretching, meditation, restorative. I like it so far.

2. Ear plugs in the car and at home for when sensory overload sets in but I can't remove myself right away.

3. Neurontin - just started that too. It does seem to help a lot with my agitation. Helps a lot with the pain but doesn't completely remove it.

4. Minimal bill management. Dealing with money is probably the single biggest stressor in my world. Hubby has started to help me with it. We sit down once a month and pay everything. Even that stresses me out but I'm glad when it's done.

5. Summer camp!! We have a terrific day-camp program for our kids to get invloved in. That helps me tremendously and they love it.

6. House cleaners!!! They even fold my laundry. I have 3 kids so keeping up with cleaning and laundry is overwhelming for me.

I'm still working on stress-reducers but these are what I've implemented so far.

Blessings,

Sofi
  4. libra55

libra55 New Member

I think we are bombarded with way too much in the way of information, social demands, etc. I head 'em off at the pass too. I sort my mail right over the wastebasket. I screen my phone calls. I limit the choices I must make.

Being the wife of a police sergeant and the mother of a child with Asperger's and another neurotypical teenager AND managing three autoimmune diseases (four if you count the occasional psoriasis flareup), I cannot avoid stress. It is impossible. So I just try to reduce it.

Michelle
  5. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

My stress levels are horrendous and I have no idea how to lower them!!!!If I drop a spoon on work top I have a panic attack!!!!! It is so stupid!

I went to my docs last week and he gave me beta-blockers but I will not take them cos they have side effects that can cause heart probs.

The best way for me is to just be on my own watching my tv progs and relaxing on couch lol.....BUT life does not allow it!Nor does my little dog lol.

Family do not really stress me,it is just my own body that is letting me down and I cannot find a way to help myself.

My body is always so hot anyway and any stress makes it even hotter!
    Lately I have been getting really red all over with the least exertion.Wish I knew what was going on there.

I am just going to chill as much as I can...the only way I know lol.
    Take care

Rena

6. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Here are some things that help me with stress.

1. I try to limit the contacts I have with people by phone (e-mail can be answered at my own pace).

2. We usually have very soothing (no commercials!) background music going at low volume in our house throughout the day.

3. My husband and I spend 30 minutes or more doing meditation each day.

4. We have a visualization game where we imagine every annoying human being (politicians, celebrities, annoying relatives etc.) being put into a room with other overbearing egos of similar obnoxiousness levels. Unfortunately, by now we'll probably need an arena to hold them all - LOL!

5. I try not to watch the news on TV, especially in the evening.
  7. kriket

kriket New Member

The only time I am at a low stress level is when I am out on the lake fishing. There is just something soothing about water. No one bothers you either.

Kriket
  8. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

That way I can control my input.My husband handles all the bills.I've lowered expectations on the house as I cannot do it myself anymore.I try to talk to good friends and do crafts when possible.Lindq
  9. libra55

libra55 New Member

I've also stopped watching the evening news, and I don't allow my kids to watch it either. I'm not against the news. It's just so sensationalized and very overstimulating. Last week the top two stories were a newborn infant thrown in a dumpster and a man set on fire. It upset me so I couldn't sleep so I decided I would stop watching that stuff late at night.

It definitely helps.

Michelle
  10. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I have made my house into my cave. I live alone and so I have more freedom to do what I like. I read a few fung shui books and adjusted my house according. In my cave:

I have an answering machine, so that if I do not want to talk to people I can re-call them when I am able.

I have asked all my friends not to turn up unannounced. They ring before they come.

I have candles which I light at various times of the day and night not only because I like them, but also because they give off negative ions which are good for us.

I have a small water feature in the lounge that I turn on every morning so that I can hear quiet flowing water.

I have meditation CD's that I play really softly, almost below sound level for most of the day.

I removed all the bright light bulbs and now have either low wattage lights or, preferably, lamps.

I have a cd by my bed so that every time I lie down I have have soothing music. I put it on repeat so that my brain and body can hear it even when I am asleep.

I have tried to use different colours in different rooms. e.g, baby pink in the bedroom, lavender in the bathroom, cream in the tv room, yellow in the kitchen. This isn't expensive, if you colour code your nick-nacks, spreads etc.

Most of the tv I watch is happy mind-numbing nonsense. I am not into deep and meaningful or reality tv.

I only invite people who make me feel good into my cave. So, I don't have many visitors but the ones who come are great.

Outside my cave I have to deal with the world, negotiate and handle stress. However, in my cave I can be as self-focused as I wish. This has not been easy because I am a person pleaser, but I think a little bit of selfishness can help us heal.

11. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

I only shop early in the day before the stores get a lot of people in them. If I drive I try to stay off of freeways. I try to keep a routine. I have lowered my house cleanliness expectations. I quit my job 5 weeks ago. I won't let me mother stay with me for the summer. :)
  12. Jordane

Jordane New Member

I do'nt think we can!!

With what we are going thru because of this DD.

The loss of jobs, out enjoying ourselves,feeling normal!

So I do not think we can avoid it. We just have to deal with it the best we can!!

Take Care!
    Jordane
  13. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Of course we really can't avoid stress totally but I would add laughter to the above great ideas and I got a few good laughs reading these posts. (I love the idea of putting all the toxic people in, how about a stadium with a top on it?, and locking it tightly. We may soon have to remodel, however...)

I used to try so hard to do everything like I used to do it before I got sick and now I don't try to do that. Like many of you I don't answer my phone if I'm especially fatigued or at all after 7:30 at night. The news is nothing but nerve-racking these days so I limit that too. I do read and it helps me a lot as long as the book is well-written. It seems to slow down the speed of my brain, take me out of myself, perhaps.

I've quoted it before but it seems appropriate to repeat it here: Psychologist, radio show host and author Daniel Gottlieb said in an interview that, before his parapalegia, he was like everyone else: trying his best to be what other people expected him to be. Now he can only be himself and he finds that a blessing. (Reading his book: Letters to Sam is also a blessing and very restful.)

Marta

[ advertisement ]