Poll: How many have 1/2 moons on all of your fingernails

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lendy5, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Do you have 1/2 moons on all of your fingernails or just your thumbs only? I have read that if you are missing this part it can indicate a protein deficiency?

This is interesting because I only have them on my thumbs.

Nails should be pink. When pressing down on the nail, the circulation should return within one second. This is called Capillary Refill Time.

Pale or bluish nails: this may indicate anemia.

Pink color slow in returning when nail is squeezed: This may indicate decreased or slowed blood circulation

White spots these occur as the result of an injury to the nail; they are not due to zinc deficiency, as some people believe.

White lines parallel to the lunula (and not the cuticle) these indicate some sort of systemic (body wide) insult.

Clubbed nails these nails are shaped like the backside of a spoon and may indicate cardiopulmonary disease or asthma.

Spoon nails these dips inward and could mean certain types of anemia or injury.

Pitted nails these punched-out looking spots may signify psoriasis.

Thick nail may indicate the vascular system is weakening and blood is not circulating properly.

If the white moon area of the nail turns red, it may indicate heart problems; If it turns slate blue, then it indicates over exposures to metal or lung trouble.

Brittle nails signify possible thyroid problems, impaired kidney function, and circulation problems.

Flat nail can denote Raynaud’s disease.

Yellow nail can indicate internal disorders long before other symptoms appear-the lymphatic system, respiratory disorders, diabetics, and liver disorders.

White nails indicate possible liver or kidney disorders and/or anemia.

Deep blue nail beds may indicate asthma or emphysema.

Nail beading is a sign of rheumatoid arthritis.

Brittle, soft, shiny nails without a moon may indicate an overactive thyroid.

White lines across the nail may indicate a liver disease.

A half white nail with dark spots on the tip, possible kidney disease.

Raised nails at the base with small white ends show a respiratory disorder such as emphysema or chronic bronchitis. This nail condition may also be hereditary.

Downward curved nail ends may denote heart, liver, or arsenic poisoning.

White lines show possible heart disease, high fever, or arsenic poisoning.

Nails that resemble hammered brass indicate a tendency toward partial or total hair loss.

Unusually wide, square nails can suggest a hormonal disorder.

White nail with pink near the tips are a sign of cirrhosis.

2. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

Can't say I've ever noticed this before. Very infomative list as well Carolin.

Cheers,

Sue
  3. cats3

cats3 New Member

Thanks for the information on fingernails.

I have 1/2 moons on all my fingernails!
  4. Loveyame

Loveyame New Member

1/2 moon on all
  5. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

I am missing the 1/2 moons. I only have visible 1/2 moons on my thumbs as you indicated.

Interesting....
  6. hurtin2much

hurtin2much New Member

I have on all exept my two little fingers. I also have ridges (vertical) on many of my nails....is this a sign of anything?
  7. srollins

srollins New Member

just my thumbs i think, i have to keep my nails covered with acrilac, because they are so thin and fragile. i have really bad ridges and grooves and at any given time they just start ripping along the grooves for no reason.

i keep my nails cover with this stuff not because i am vain or anything but because i have had some really bad rip jobs(for lack of any other way to put it).

my toe nails are veru brittle. they also tend to be lifting. at least they don't tear.

shirley
  8. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I have half moons on all but my little fingers.

Mine are flat and I do have Raynaud's.

Mine are also ridged from tip to cuticle. Don't know what that means!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!