Poll: How many have Gas Heat?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tlayne, Oct 25, 2006.

  1. tlayne

    tlayne Member

    About 13 years ago we had a carbon monoxide leak. My whole family was very sick for months. It was a slow leak, but the levels still build up in your blood with chronic low level exposure. Back then when the gas company showed up the guy told me that if they had known everything that they know now about carbon monoxide that it would have been outlawed.

    Today it is a big industry, and a lot of money is involved. Where there is money, there is alot of protection for the money source to continue.

    Myself and my daughters have had many health issues since then. Could it be that others here could have been exposed without knowing?

    Thank you for any responses. Please know that I can't reply much, as I am just not well, but I will check in. Hugs, Tam
  2. suz45

    suz45 New Member

    Hi Tam:

    Recently moved into a 19 year old house in western upstate NY, we have propane here as we are in a relatively rural area near the fnger lakes. I have an Adirondack style home with two wood stoves as well.. I have 4 propane/natural gas/ Co3 detectors in my house. It is the only way to stay safe.

    Also due to loosing power we have a back up generator, it is portable, we have had it set up so that it is a minimum of 3ft away from any window or door source even if they are closed. My detectors also have the level numbers on them so I can see if there is any build up occuring. I also keep one in my garage as a gauge, this one usually shows up and sometimes the alarm sounds after we pull the truck into the garage.

    I am very careful regarding heating. One tip I also learned is that if you are in a "newer" house to leave one window cracked about 1 quarter of an inch... in the event of a leak this could save your life. I read this in an article recently.

    I think you are right about health issues from gas leaks, I had my gas pipes checked by a professional the week I moved in the house, he was able to find three small leaks in the work area of the basement. All corrected now.

    Hopefully you will feel better soon.

    Hugs,

    Suz45
    [This Message was Edited on 10/25/2006]
  3. lenasvn

    lenasvn New Member

    I have been thinking about this too. I have a carbon monoxide thingie that will beep when there is a leak, but I wonder if that thing works? And what exacly are dangerous levels anyway?

    Some days I have told my son it smells like the landlord put the carpet on top of an old catpoop. I thought that the smell came from where the heater is. Slow fibro brain connected the dots a year later and figured that it may be gas. I only smell this occationally, and havent felt any smell for over a month.

    Maybe when they turn on the gas I will have this checked out. It is possible that this has contributed to my health problems! I moved in to a gas heated home about the same time as my daughter was born- the time I started to get worse. Hmmm, I need to do some research. Thanks for posting!
    [This Message was Edited on 10/25/2006]
  4. tlayne

    tlayne Member

    Hi Guys! I am taking a risk here by naming a product, but this is such an important issue. I have a old nighthawk that has a digital reading. Mine picks up 1 part per million. Some say that at 1 ppm level that it will not due harm, but other research says that even at one ppm with chronic exposure can cause health damage. I tend to believe the later.

    Yes Suz45, the newer houses are insulated so tight that all the gases are locked inside. They save on the power bill tho. lol!

    Lenasvn, I smell the cat poop smell here too. I thought that the last owners had to have had cats, but I don't smell it all the time. I wonder..... They say if you have a gas leak it smells like rotten eggs. I am still getting severe headaches when the heat is on, but my detector is not showing any co readings.

    Thank you for responding. PLEASE stay safe! Hugs, Tam
  5. lenasvn

    lenasvn New Member

    Maybe the rotten egg scent smells like catpoop to us? I smell it more in the winter when the heat is on.
  6. suz45

    suz45 New Member

  7. Slayadragon

    Slayadragon New Member

    Here's a related question.

    We have a woodburning fireplace. My husband wants to replace it with gas because he thinks we'll use it more.

    Which do you think is safer---the risk of breathing in gas or of burnt logs?

    The fireplace is behind glass, but there still is a "fireplace smell" throughout the house when I use it. I don't know if the gas would leak out or not. (It's already a self-starter, but I don't think the gas leaks except for the couple of minutes that it's catching the wood on fire.)
  8. lenasvn

    lenasvn New Member

    I suspect a brand new gas heater would have minimal implications of leaking. It seem to me that older ones can have this issue, old houses, old gaslines, etc.

    The smell I feel is in this old wornout uncared for house (a rental, all I could find at the time I moved). I think everything that can leak (walls, windows, gaslines, faucets, sewers,,,LOL!) leaks in this darn house!

    Let hubby install the gas heater is my advice.
  9. pw7575

    pw7575 New Member

    I just moved into a townhouse that has gas stove etc and have been so busy trying to get settled that I hadn't even thought of getting my carbon monoxide detectors. We had one in our old place but I definitely need to get some for the new place.

    THANKS FOR THE REMINDER!!!
  10. tlayne

    tlayne Member

    and propane stoves/furnaces can also leak co. Sorry guys, bare with me I am fogging. I can not stress enough to get a digital detector that reads even 1 ppm!

    Lisa, I would think that a new gas stove would be tighter and less likly to leak co. Plus it would be less drying for the mucous membranes. But still be safe and have a co detector. I am also planning on getting back to you on my hormone testing results. I start coref tomorrow (MD signed the order too late to get it filled today), so I am hopeing for some (any) energy within a week. I will fill you in then.

    To everyone, be safe get a digital co detector! Hugs, Tam
  11. Seeseaisme

    Seeseaisme New Member

    We have gas heat and I've never really worried about cabon monoxide.

    I do open my front window and a back window on a daily basis, to "air" out the house. My grandma always did that. It drives my husband crazy. It can be 15 degrees outside and I open the window.

    It's only for about 5 minutes daily. Is this sufficient for me to get rid of toxic air? I don't have a carbon monoxide detector and can't afford one.
  12. 1sweetie

    1sweetie New Member

    I have propane gas and use it for heat, water heater,gas logs, generator, range, washer & dryer. I have always been afraid of gas. We purchased the house about 5 years ago when the house was about 3 years old.

    I smell gas on occassion especially when I open the cabinet under the stove top. It is also bad if you use the gas logs but we do not use them any longer because of the odor and my heat intolerance.

    Thank you for this topic. I have had it checked once but something is not right.