POLL .How many have had shingles under the age of 50?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by CanBrit, May 29, 2006.

1. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Hi All:

A Dr on the radio this morning was discussing a new shingles vaccine for people over the age of 60. He said that 2 out of 10 people will contact this illness and 90% are over the age of 60.

I had shingles when I was 26 and it left me a sciatic-like pain in my hip ever since. I was curious how many on this board have also had shingles.

Thanks for the feedback.

Eileen
  2. wyattsmom

wyattsmom New Member

I had them on my neck at age 27. The DR couldn't believe that someone in there 20's had shingles.
  3. sueliza

sueliza New Member

I had them on my back twice within a two month period. It was just a couple of years ago so I was probably 36 or 37!

My mom never remembered me having chicken pox, but I had the antibodies for it when I was tested during pregnancy. My shingles cases were pretty mild too.
  4. justplainmom

justplainmom New Member

My daughter was only 5 when she got Shingles. The doctor said it was because she was vaccinated for chicken pox, she got shingles instead. He didn't seem to think it abnormal at all. Said it's become quite common.
  5. carebelle

carebelle New Member

My husband broke out in shingles last night and did not sleep hardly ,at all because, he was in so much pain.He is 53.probably 20 years ago he also broke out with them.What can you do for them to easy the pain?How many times can this happen?
    It was strange I had a sore throat last week with headache and flu like feelings and hes the one who breakes out in shingles.I have been scaired to death he would get FM/CFS hes been so tired .I know they say you can't catch these DD's but I still worry.
  6. IlivetocantoronXena

IlivetocantoronXena New Member

Yes I was 37 or 36 can't quite remeber my age but remeber the pain. I got them under my right breast and went to the middle of the back. I still have a hard time wearing a bra seeing that was the line of the shingles. I had no script insurance so was unable to get the med to make them go away faster.
    Michelle
  7. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

My husband contracted shingles at 50 which has left him with some pretty bad neurologic pains. He never really got much of a rash, but sure did get a lot of the pain. He still suffers with it today to varying degrees.
  8. kriskwon

kriskwon New Member

and have had then 30+ times. No kidding - ask my body...
  9. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I am forty nine and have had 25 medically documented cases diagnosed. And of places, on my face! They always break out in the trigeminal area and many times, I have looked like something from a horror show.

So I am wondering if this new vaccine is only for people who have never had shingles or for anyone who may or may not have already had them so they won't get them again. I would love it if that were the case.
  10. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Merck got approval for the shingles vaccine last week from the FDA.

I think it will be for people over 60. (Not sure why the age cut off.)

I don;t know when it will be available to the public, but their website should have more info.

I had shingles about 6 months before my ruptured disc, which started my FM/CFS. I never broke out & only had it on 1 side. Odd, but my PCP looked it up in the PDR & confirmed that it could be on 1 side without break out.

I went to their website & the medications should be available to doctors soon.

best thoughts for easing the pain.
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 05/30/2006</i>]
  11. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

I had them early in adolescence, once in my mid-30s and twice in the past few years. I'm 45. Diane
  12. Juloo

Juloo Member

Once as a child (it's in my medical records) a couple of years after I had chicken pox. Once at age 26 around the time I was married. Then I had them again about four years ago at 38.

No doubt I'll be having them again, too.
  13. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I had them at 6 months! I have a scar from it and Mom says it was horrible because there was nothing she could do for me.

Had them in March this year. I'm 52.

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  14. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

I know I was in my 30's. I had them on my upper left shoulder. I had a lot of pain in my neck and shoulder. Then I broke out in the rash.

I did not have chicken pox in my childhood. Both of my daughters had the chicken pox and I was around them and never got them, but later had the shingles.

Jodi
  15. kriket

kriket New Member

I had them when I was in high school. So, I was probably about 16 or 17 at the time. My boyfriend has them right now, he is 40.

Kriket
  16. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Right over my left eye.They said that that was a rare place to get it.Linda
  17. DoveL

DoveL Member

Never had the shingles, (I am 37), and never had the chicken pox!! I am scared to death to get either at this point!!

Hugs Dove
  18. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Interesting that there's quite a few of us who's had this (several times even)

19. lardsgirl

lardsgirl New Member

I had them when I was about 37ish...the worst pain I have ever had..felt like worms crawling under my skin and biting with each movement!! won't wish this on Saddam! this fibro on the other hand well he could take it....
  20. day2day

day2day Member

I get outbreaks of shingles on my left side of my lower back. Funny thing is it came on a few months after having a hysterectomy.

As my cfs/fm has gotten worse I have now developed chronic shingles, breakouts 1-4 times a month and sometimes overlapping. I have written about my shingles in the past I think. ( unless I didn't post it)

One of the times I went so Dr. office my usual Dr. was not there and another Dr. when asked my history I said chronic shingles he said " I highly doubt that", I said " I am having a problem with them right now if you would like to take a look"

When he looked he told me he was going to increase the valtrex for me, and listed as one of the reasons for my visits was Chronic Shingles.

Hoping they will decrease as I get older since have had them for so long at age under 60.

PS Here is the link about the vaccine, someone was asking if it worked for us who have had it in the past. I personally would not try it.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=44187&nfid=rssfeeds