Poll...How many have lost hunger signal?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lolalee, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I am rarely hungry anymore. When I do eat, I get full after a couple of bites. You'd think I'd be skinny...not so. My metabolism is not working.

How about you?

Thanks,

Lolalee
  2. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

I was thinking the same thing. I don't feel hunger. I eat because I know I need to. Actually, I think I eat too much because it tastes too good sometimes- I do like my own cooking *smile*

But, in reality, when I look at how much food diets have you eating, i don't eat NEARLY that much food, and yet I still gain. How NOT FAIR is that???
  3. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I can go all day and not have the urge to eat.I make myself eat mostly.It is the worst when I feel my worse which is right now.My daughter ,who also has fm/cfds has the same problem.

I think when you feel so bad you just don't feel like eating sometimes.

Sheila
  4. ImDigNiT

ImDigNiT New Member

I just don't want anything and my husband near about forces me and cooks thing he know I like. Now I did need to loose weight, but I lost unintentionally 14lbs in 4 weeks last Sept and now have lost a total of 38. I just have absolutely no use for food. It just makes me sick.

But, I always must have something to drink, always thirsty.

Seems like there is always something new to be dealt with.
  5. Cindi

Cindi New Member

Lolalee, I'm not making light of your problem - I just wish I wasn't hungry ALL the time :(
    When I was on Topamax, I stopped eating completely, and it was scary!! I just wish I could hit a happy medium in the middle!

~Cindi
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

No appetite, full very quickly but have gained so much weight. Part of it is Effexor but the rest? Maybe all, but don't know. Just know I'm very tired of it.

Hang in there,
    Sue
  7. coogrrr

coogrrr New Member

For the longest time I have been watching this line and if you read my bio youll know why. Lost 41 pounds 3 months constant eating...

Anyway I found this to be true. For many of us eating is like an exercise in itself. If you dont do it all the time regularly you will suffer from lack of appetite and wieght gain or loss. The gain or loss is a per person thing but here is why either.

If your not eating and your lucky enough to be active you lose wieght as you burn more then you take in simple enough and most people try to make this a diet.

If you dont eat regularly your body WILL store what it gets not matter what it gets as long term energy for use until it gets more nourishment. We in technical areas like to call this FAT. This is the gain syndrom.

So the answer that works for me. Eat small portions regularly just like the Doctors have said all our lives, 4 food grps 3 times a day 1/2 the amount you think you want.

This will condition your body into wanting or triggering a need for food. This will condition your body into processing the good from it and letting the rest go, not storing everything. This will of course feed you well and keep you healthier.

I am not a doctor but this is a very sensitive spot for me and in the end NO SINGLE PERSON has a diet or a wierd thing to try that has worked other then 3 small balanced meals a day. and yes to begin with you will have to FORCE this but then it will become routine and you will level off at your wieght, which for some is a little thin or a little thick dont be stuck on that just ensure your eating regularly and if you can mange it walk or even light exercise 3 times a week maybe 4.

Just slipping my 2 carrots in there too!

Coogrrr
    [This Message was Edited on 03/20/2006]
  8. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I agree with what you said. When I went on a cruise last year, I actually lost weight because I was eating every 4 hours. I tried to eat healthy...lots of veggies...salads....little protein at each meal and I limited myself to one or two small desserts per day.

It was so easy to do because I didn't have to prepare the meals. I have been so ill lately that I just don't have the energy to cook, so I eat very little.

Thanks for reminding me of this.

Lolalee
  9. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Thank you so much for your sweet compliment. I posted above that I agree that if we eat a little every 4 hours or so, it would help our metabolism and help us to lose weight.

The problem is getting motivated and having the energy to prepare the meals.

Lolalee
  10. kmcerio

kmcerio New Member

I got really sick two yrs.ago and I lost 17 lbs. in four days. My problem is that I have always weighed 110 lbs. in my healthy life before Fibro. I now weigh 92.8 lbs. I feel like I'm slowly withering away and dieing. I have no appetite and I just can't gain no matter what I try. My daughter bought me this expensive weight gain powder fron the health food store and it is just loaded with wonderful stuff in it but I can't take it it gives me Diarrhea. I just don't think my frail body can handle it. If you didn't know better you would think I was anerexic I am not. I have age 10 yrs. in the last few mths. my face all drawn I have no appetite though. One of these days I will just wither away. My problem is just as bad as people who want to lose weight. I even wrote to Dr. Phil about my condition but ofcourse I didn't hear anything since I'm not cheating on my spouse, beating my children,killing anyone or running myself into a million dollars in debt. Anyways thanks for listening and soon I will look like a toothpick. Thanks Karen
  11. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Me too. I have no appetite, either, something new since developing CFS. I have hypoglycemia, so have to make myself eat on a regular basis. I never find the food distasteful or feel unnaturally full. I find it appealing or not depending on whether it is or not (not the greatest cook and sometimes I’m more concerned with quick than with appealing).

Karen - your situation is worse than people who want to lose weight. Weight loss will kill you faster than weight gain. Just ask any actuary. Is there a naturopathic physician in your area? Have you tried probiotic and digestive enzymes? Have you had your liver, kidney, and gall bladder function tested? Maybe try all day ‘grazing’ - eating very small amounts of food very frequently. You need to keep plugging away until you find something that works for you to maintain a healthful weight.
  12. ive lost the hunger signal..i lost it years ago and was painfully thin.but after being perscribed amitripyline in 1997..and having had a total hysterectomy operation in 1995..ive become 2 stone over weight..even though i dont get the hunger signal.
    i do watch the clock and make sure i have small meals roughly every 5 hours..but my stomach doesnt want to take in too much food..so i eat fruit and carrots in between meals.
    ive also discovered something very weird..
    my ankles and fingers always seem to swell up with fluid.well i got a part time job as a cleaning person..the job came to a end as my chronic fatigue returned with a vengence even though i enjoyed my job,,after working for just 6 weeks.but this is the weird thing..
    while i was sweeping and mopping at work,,perspiration would seep out of my head/face people would say..crikey look at you sweating buckets..i never said i had the fibro..i just said,oohh thats the menapause ( in truth im well over the menopause).

anyway because of me sweating buckets from my head..id sweat no where else,,ive lost 1 and a half stone of weight in just 6 weeks..my fingers and ankles dont swell now.
    ive come to the coclusion that my body must be filled with some sort of fluid that can only find its way out of my body by leaving through my head.and the arm movement with sweeping and mopping acted as a sort of pump..isnt that weird.
    now that im not working,the fluid is building up again and im desperately seeking employment again.

kind regards
    fran
  13. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

That is what is so hard to explain to people.
    That I have no interest in Food, I have no appettie, and I even started smoking MJ at a Doctors suggestion.

This was 10 years ago btw.
    I was living in Idaho at the time, and they have strict, law's there, but I was close enough to the Oregon bd. that I knew someone who could help me.

It did help to get the appettie juices going again, and I did gain back about 20 pounds, which was good.

My Stress level went up last July, and my weight has gone down, even with smoking before I eat, I am not interested.
    But I do force myself to, so I eat, Cherry Pie, and Yes I know there are no Nutruiants (sp?) in it. It does help me to eat something.
    Mostly Chicken, and it has to be ROasted. I get it at a local Store, and the Ladies who run the Deli know me, and my problems, so they always give me a Plump juicy one.
    I have tried, the different kinds of Pasta's they make there,it is fresh, and they don't add the MSG most food places do, to keep the food looking Fresh.

Karen you could have been my twin, when I read your post, I thought Yup, that's me, and it's got to be a Fibro thing, I don't have the CFS, so it's not due to that for me.
    I have the Combo of FMS/CMPD and I have Trigger points in my Intestineal area, due to 3 operations. I grow Scar Tissue at the drop of a hat. SO this also adds to the problem I think.

I was wondering, for thoes that tried the Drinks, etc.
    Do you get Crampy afterwards? Like when your having the Big "D"? I get that, and also it makes my gut feel cold, and sickish, just horrible pains.

I had the GI track tests done and all they came up with was IBS. Then with the Inflamation problems I have been having, I developed Inflammatory Bowel Disease, there are 4out of 6 siblings in my family, who have this. As well as FMS.But they are on the Heavy side, and always have been.
    Weird, these Syndromes, that's all I can say.

That and keep Researching, and insisting on test's, if you haven't done them, to rule out other conditions with Similar Symptoms, and there are a lot .

Hug's
    sharonk
  14. kmcerio

kmcerio New Member

I just had blood work done Fri. and all is well(right)I just had a colonoscopy and the scope down my throat and they said IRRITAL bOWEL so my doc put me on Zelnorm and low and behold the BIG"D" Ijust got cleaned out from my procedure and ionce again "D" I cut my dose down to 1 a day instead of two. I'd never get off the toilet. I don't know what to do. Right now I'm binging on popscicles. I do that I get stuck on things and then move on to other foods. Not enough to help my weight though. I like food but fill up fast and don't have an appetite. Maybe I should take up "pot"if it works yah hoo!!!!! I am going to a hypnptist on the 3rd to quit smoking as I have been having breathing problems. I don't want to quit as its the only thing I really-really enjoy.He claims he can temporailly take away my pain, quit smoking,gain weight and sleep more than 3 hrs. a night. We shall see. Please all of you pray and keep your fingers and toes crossed (if it won't be too painful for you) on the 3rd at2:30 pmI do get gut cramps when I try to use weight boosters my little body and system just can't take it. Anyways girlfriends I appreciate all your help and concern and my prayers are with all of you. Love and gentle hugs to all of you. Karen