Poll, how many have morning sedation on Elavil.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Debgene56, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Debgene56

Debgene56 New Member

How many of you taking elavil before bed have sedation in the morning. How long do you have it. Dose it stop you from doing what you need or would like to do? I am thinking about elavil, but my only decent time of the day is morning and I don't want to loose it. Also how dose it affect you dryness wize. Thanks, Love, Deb
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It always left me feeling groggy and hung over in the morning. I quit taking it after several months when I found out it was the Elavil which had put 20 pounds on me.

Love, Mikie
  3. bejo

bejo New Member

I don't notice any problem with feeling sedated in the morning.But it does make your mouth very dry and increases your appetite.I don't like those two side affects but I can't find anything else to help me sleep.
    bejo
  4. jeanderek

jeanderek New Member

I still feel that way sometimes. I am on 50mg a night but its not nearly as bad as that first week or so.

hugs,
    Jeanna
  5. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Deb:

I take Elavil 10 mg. an hour before bedtime. I've been on it for several months now and haven't noticed I am any more groggy now than I was before. Not every night is perfect, but I think I get more sleep now than I did before. I have noticed that I sometimes have a bad case of "the munchies" which I understand is a side effect of this medication. So you have to be careful or you will put on weight.

Ellen
  6. Dara

Dara New Member

during the day. It might be OK if you don't have to get up & go to work, but I was even falling alseep at my desk. I had to quit after several months because I couldn't take the extreme daytime fatigue I felt.

Dara
  7. Debgene56

Debgene56 New Member

I haven't taken it yet. I have been weighing the pro's and con's. I could deal with the sedation, my biggest problem with it now would be dry eys, nose,mouth. I am already bone dry, the pharmacist said it would make it worse. The n.p. didn't think it would make a difference. I am seeing a opthamoligist in May for Sjogrens.
    Love, Deb
  8. tes

tes New Member

I take 10mg every night and find that it keeps me asleep all night(with the exception of nightmares here and there). I do feel groggy in the morning and I start feeling better after a couple of hours. I do get the dry mouth and nose and do get cravings for junk food. I have learned to ignore those cravings because I lost 63 pounds on weight watchers 2 years ago and refuse to gain the weight back. I just drink water or find something to do when the cravings hit(although I do give into them once in awhile.lol.) I find that it is a good med(for me anyway). Best of luck. Tes.