Poll: How many here have Eczema?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EgyptStarr, Aug 2, 2007.

1. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

I was wondering how many people here have Eczema. I just joined a brand-new forum dedicated to Eczema sufferers (like me, obviously, or I wouldn't have joined! LOL), and noticed that Pro-Health does not seem to have one.

[This Message was Edited on 08/02/2007]
  2. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

3. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

good luck with the support group sweeti

angel hugs and blessings

4. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

5. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Mine is not too bad- pretty localized on my hands and right now, it's not bad. I think mine is worse in the winter, when things are cold and dry. I avoid certain shampoos and things with polysorbate in them.....either topically or in my diet. I also have an ointment that I use- how about you?
  6. vickiw

vickiw Member

my mom told me I had it when she brought me home from the hospital at 10 days old. I had it throughout my childhood and it was at it's worst in my early 20's.

I had it on my hands and they were horribly cracked & painful. Every doctor I went to prescribed hydrocortisone (in the days before you could buy over the counter). That just thinned out my skin, and wasn't effective at eliminating the problem.

One day it came to me that what I had was like athlete's foot of the hands. So I went and bought some anti-fungal cream. Well, after having suffered with the eczema for years, it cleared up in a week or two and never came back...unless I use antibacterial soap. That stuff is like washing my hands with poison ivy.

Occasionally it pops up on my elbows so I use antifungal medicine or coconut oil (which has antifungal properties) and it always clears up.

This may not be helpful for everyone, but it works for me. You may want to try it if you never have. I'd be curious to know if it has worked for anyone else.
  7. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I'm the same way with antibacterial soap- bad stuff! It makes me break out right away. I've been using an aloe vera lotion I got at the health food store for my hands, and it seems to be OK.
  8. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

Thank you for the tip, Vicki. I'll try that! I have it on my left forearm, the fingers of both hands, INSIDE my right ear (and yes, that's a MAD ITCH!), and a spot on the back of my head. I have prescription-strength corticosteroid ointment for all areas except my ear, which the doc said to use over-the-counter hydrocortisone ointment for that. It's helping, although just not as quickly as I would like!

Anyway, thanks to all who replied and to Connie for bumping me earlier!

[This Message was Edited on 08/10/2007]
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

She had FMS and in her 90's, she got a severe case of eczema.

Love, Mikie