POLL: how many of our members have worked in the medical feild?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I have been wondering about this for some time. :) So please stand up and be counted! Nurses, doctors, therapists, counsellors, researchers, alternative practitioners, interested ammatures... whatever your interest and specialty.

Please tell us a bit about yourself and this aspect of your life.

(((respectful hugs))) Shannon
  2. matthewson

matthewson New Member

Well I will jump right in here. I am a medical technologist and have worked in a hospital lab for 30 years. I still love what I do and am glad I went into this field as I was always a science nut!

I have been able to make a pretty good living out of it and with shift work, hubby and I worked opposite shifts and raised our two kids without day care. Although we were like single parents for many years! My husband would always say, "No contact, no friction!" I have worked part-time and full-time in my 30 years, and the last 4 have been part-time again. Luckily I can still work, but some days are difficult. I am hoping to get 3 more years in and then I can retire if I want or need to. I pray every day that I can make it to then!

One aside to this, the incidence of FMS, CFS, auto-immune diseases, MS, etc. run rampant in the lab! Way more so than in the general population. Maybe we are exposed to so much more stuff and spent many years before AIDS not wearing any gloves and handling all kinds of body fluids. That may be why I have never had a bad word or unbelieving comment said to me at work! The lab people in general are very knowledgeable about our illnesses.

I am looking forward to reading more responses to this post. Take care, Sally
  3. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

I was dx'd with fibro and CFIDS about 2 years ago, but I think I've had them for at least 17 years.

I am a hospital Lactation Consultant, and have been for 13 years. I also work in a Pediatric office 3 afternoons a week. Before coming to the hospital I worked in a different Pediatric office for 6 years. I also teach Prepared Childbirth at the hospital.

I have only told a select few at work about my CFIDS and Fibro. I have only had 5 sick days in the last 13 years too. When I worked in the Peds office the 1st time, I caught everything in the office, now I rarely get sick.

Someone else had a thread a few days ago, asking who were RN's.

Warmly,
    Maggie
  4. russiankids3

russiankids3 New Member

I'm an RN who works in pediatric home health care. Used to work in pediatrics at a hospital, also was a clinical nurse manager for med/surg unit. Worked in hospice/cancer care unit too.

I work only part-time now due to DD. Between 24-32 hrs/wk. I've loved being a nurse, but the past has been so tiring and way too busy--always short of help (due to administrative initiatives and cost cutting) and underappreciated. Now with the nursing shortage I wonder who will be taking care of me in later years.

Home health is great-I make my own schedule-can take off if I feel bad. Also I love all my little patients and have gotten close to many families. It is always hard when one of them dies.

Take care
    Sue
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That half of those with CFIDS in a cluster outbreak were nurses. Another ten percent worked in healthcare in some capacity.

I worked in the insurance office of a large clinic where I had contact with patients constantly. I also filled in for the receptionists in the various offices when someone was off or sick. When nurses were sick, I would occasionally assist the docs.

Love, Mikie
  6. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

Was an LPN for 13 years, went back to school and got my RN. Did that for another 14 years before the back started crumbling, and after a cervical (neck) fusion, the fibro came to stay.

I worked a lot of different areas, mostly in out-patient clinics and triage. I worked a very long time in allergy, and the strangest thing is that a great deal of the allergy nurses I know ended up with lupus, fibro, or another auto-immune disease. I don't think it's just coincidental! PG
  7. 1horse

1horse New Member

Lets see, over the years I was a waitress, the housewife, then nurse, then real estate, and now I just stay retired,ride my horse, and we do some traveling.. Loved all of the jobs I ever had. Was a nurse for 25 years..That was my favorite job. Now I just help family and friends out if they need someone to stay with them for a few days due to illness or surgery etc.. Boy was i ever blessed.. take care Peggy
    [This Message was Edited on 02/09/2006]
  8. code34me

code34me New Member

I have beeen an EMT for 21 years now. I have not worked in the field for about 7 years now. I did work on an ACLS ambualance for 14 years. I loved my job and miss it alot! I was a single mom for awhile till I met my husband now. I took a job working for our school district here as a Health Services Technician (school nurse type thing.) I worked doing that during my pregnancy and have stayed home with my son of 3 since. My daughter is 13 from first marriage (huband passed away) I am remembering going to the docs for fatigue while I worked on the ambulance and he told me I had Epstien Barr Virus and that would make me feel tired but he did not seem to think it was a big deal. Now I know different. My parents were alcoholics (vilent when they drank) I have had alot of mental trauma and seen alot of trauma and death in my 39 years. I truley feel that is where the FM came from. You can deal with things for so long before your body decides you have had enough. your mind may think you are dealing with things well but my body told me otherwise. Anyways that is my history of working in the medical field. Thanks Codey
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I was a counselor(first educational then psychological) for many years. I also have worked as a volunteer nurse although no real qualifications for that. I am always happy to try and help with psychological and mental health questions especially those with regard to Special Needs children and autism. I work when I am able to, which isn't much at present, due to pain, as a volunteer counselor, as I do not feel very comfortable with the treatment of mentally ill people in our society and I have the flexibility to have my own opinion when I am a volunteer. I also was a teacher first off, then a director of education, which led to studying clinical psychology. I also write and do design work(have designed for HSN in the past). We also remodel houses, but we are not doing this except this last one we want to stay in. From time to time I am a political activist when I see the need. Also rescue animals when we are able.

Love Anne
  10. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I work in a Schizophrenia research lab. I work with live Epstein Barr virus, so I've always thought that had something to do with my poor health. When I started working with EBV is approximately the same time I developed FM. However, many other things were happening at in my life at that time, so I can't completely blame EBV.

It's a complex syndrome with many factors involved. EBV is one factor for me, but I also think hormones, sleep and diet play big roles.

Good post.

Katy
  11. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I worked at St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center in Toledo Ohio until 1996. Got sick in 1995, tried to continue working, eventually had to quit.

GBHope
  12. kgangel

kgangel New Member

Hi Shannon

I worked in a Hospital for 12 years. I enjoyed it very much but, there was a lot of pressure along with the job.

I was not a doctor or nurse but I worked in the Admitting Dept and I had to go back with the ambulancees when they came in and talk to people that were brought in getting insurance iinfo and other infor about what happened to them. lots of times not very plesant especially when someone that came in coded and then died.

I worked in Physical Therapy as a PT aide, I helped therapists on the floors with patients, helping them to walk after surgery or after some kind of accident. We also gave them exercises to do. We taught families how to do Range of Motion exercises with loved ones that were paralyed to keep there muscles strong. It was my favorite job in the hospital because I meant so many wonderful people that way and they loved having us come and help them. It is also how I injured my spine though.

I also worked as a secretary for a doctor, which was one of the most humiliating jobs I have ever had, he yelled at us all the time and treated us badly, I was glad when I was able to get something else. I did learn that you do a lot in a doctors office and no one that calls is ever happy because they are hurting or sick, so you can't blame them , but it was stressful

Thanks for asking

Hugs,

kgangel

13. lin-z

lin-z New Member

I was an xray technologist and a radiation therapist tech for a few...its a blessing and a curse to know what these docs are telling you !!!

Lin-z
  14. blkkat

blkkat New Member

CNA- here. nursing home- miss it!!!!!!
    HUGS!!

MONA
  15. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

In days of yore
    no irradiation gear we wore;
    From 16 til 18 I was the top dog
    til I was found passed out in the bathroom floor!
    Too many rads so off to lab I went!
    Not my thing so off to Nursing School I went;
    One baby by now; grad. had two.
    Twisted off; musician at night
    Management of $$$ Oil Co.
    Marriage; Oil crash; opened my own business
    and went into local politics; JP.
    Cheating man; back to the ambulance in Austin TX
    Brack. Made the management no. for a while then
    burned, fried & petrified!
    Returned to part-time day job and full-time musician,
    studio work AND AMBULANCE...SE TRAVIS COUNTY
    This ole geo/independent spirit couldn't lay the ambulance
    down...nor the music....nor my sportster...leathers all the way.
    Now 56 and decrepited, finally laid my years down.
    But reviewing my past life, from 16 til a suicide on Christmas Eve, it took someone carrying me off the stage before I realized this thing was real.
    Many regrets. My son, now 13, desperate for tuition for BYU to finish up as he is accepted into TLU pre-law at 15,
    I need a vehicle for my power chair and I live off disability and very measly CS. Family burned out.
    But, somewhere down there is still CactusLil'
  16. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I worked in Nursing for 23 years, part of it in a pediatric hospital and the last 14 years teaching nursing in a community college. I loved what I did; I can remember singing to myself as I went about my work. When I was teaching, I always thought I had the best of both worlds.
    After I got sick ,I would be off sick for a while and then back. Then I tried part time and eventually had to stop and go on disabililty.
    It is interesting that there are so many who have worked in health care on the board.

Kathy

17. Age 18 about a week after high school I took the classes to become a CNA, and that's what I did, most of my time after high school, it's where my heart belonged, taking care of the elderly, in nursing homes.

I loved it. I worked in a Factory making better money, but, I just did not like it, sure, I had every other weekend off, and a way better schedule, 3 12 hr shifts one week, 4 12 hr shifts the next, that 4 day week, I got 8 hrs over time, and it was gooood money, for a single young person, who had no bills, living at home still... $$$$ but,

I just didn't really care. My heart wasn't in "packing Scope, or Bacon bits, & Vodka, & Motor Oil plastic bottles into boxes." I just couldn't enjoy it. Sure, again, CAKE WORK, for that kind of money.

My friend always said, "I don't know how you can do it, LOL" "I mean, it's cool that you can, I'm glad that you do, but, I know I couldn't go in there and wipe old peoples a$$es for $7 an hr, with them hitting me & biting me & scratching me & stuff" I just said, "Well, not everyone IS cut out to do this kind of work, and some people care about money more than they do other things, some people don't."

(my friend was.....my friend, but..sometimes, I just had to take things she said with a grain of salt. She was the same age as me, and sat behind a desk all day, making more money than I did, calling all her friends 3 or 4 times a day, smarting off to her boss, ordering food in, and, only cared about money so much because she had so many credit cards the minute she turned 18 that she HAD to make a lot of money--never made much sense to me...people change..she sure did after school.)

At age 21, February 8th/9th 1999 I shipped out for boot camp. April 23rd I believe, I left for Ft Sam Houston, San Antonio, Texas, There I received 10 weeks of training to become a Combatmedic in the National Guards, we were also required to take the test to become a Nationally Registered EMT-basic.

When I came back, I worked at Cummins Engine Company for a while, I got married, I had to go to Ft Polk Louisianna for 3 weeks with my National Guards unit for annual training (shortly after this trip, is when I became extremely ill)

I took my job at the local hospital, when I enjoyed very much, but, still liked nursing home work, but it was far too strenuous, at the hospital, there was seldom any lifting, I worked on the 4th floor, which was the medical floor/observation floor. but ocasionally I "floated" to surgical, and everyone fought to float over to Peds, I never got to go to peds, as I was only there about 5wks or so, before I became sick and never worked again..

Laura, (AintasgoodasIoncewas)
  18. ranger

ranger New Member

Even after working 15 years in the medical field, I still have a zillion questions about my body and why it hurts.

Ranger, (Mrs.Andi has returned)
    [This Message was Edited on 01/30/2006]
  19. 627

627 New Member

have had fibro for almost 18 years. being a retired speech therapist has given me additional respect for others who are stuck with this difficult diagnosis. hard to be as nice to myself as it is to others
  20. 627

627 New Member

have had fibro for almost 18 years. being a retired speech therapist has given me additional respect for others who are stuck with this difficult diagnosis. hard to be as nice to myself as it is to others