Poll:How many of you have or had heart palpitations?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaster45, Feb 1, 2003.

1. jaster45

jaster45 New Member

I did especially when eliminating candida!All blood,hormonal,adrenal and EKG shows normal.

What about you guys?

Thanks alot and take care,
    Jaster45
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have them from time to time but passed a stress test with flying colors. I will definitely get them if I do not take my estrogen and progesterone for a couple of days. I've had them since my 30's, years before my illnesses were triggered full blown. As I've mentioned before, I can look back and see symptoms as early as young childhood.

I believe that no matter how healthy we fealt before becomming sick, if we know what all the symptoms are for our illnesses, and if we think back and remember, we can almost all find something which was an omen of things to come. I would bet that none of us were "normal" and that we are genetically predisposed for these illnesses. It just takes something to finally overwhelm our immune systems enough to trigger full blown CFS/FMS.

Love, Mikie
  3. fibrofogqueen01

fibrofogqueen01 New Member

I have also had heart palpitations on many occations but every test has came back normal I was wondering if that went along with the DD.
  4. ejay

ejay New Member

hi i started having palpitations the last 6mnths i turned 40 in oct. so thought it might have somthing to do with early menopause, but in the last 2 weeks i have been getting terrible pain in temple then across lower back of head and then tight chest and pass out cold really wrecked my shoulder this week hardwood not good to land on. so now dr setting me up to wear some kind of monitor for heart every time i feel palpitations i press button and it records,since 6 wks ago when in hospital had same thing happening but not pass out blood work showed it was clotting didnt really understand and they gave me heparin in stomach so i questioned dr he didnt like to be questioned told me it was his problem and i didnt need to question everything.end of that dr i hope you have one you can question in to great detail, my new dr tells me ? are good. ejay
  5. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

I've been having them for past 3 years - did the heart monitor thing twice and was told I had slight irregularies that were nothing to worry about...common for my age and the big "M". I don't get hot flashes and I'm hisk risk for cancer so didn't want hormones. You can start going thru the change as early as 40 so it could just be that. I also get them when I first take some types of meds or when I need to take certain meds so I'm pretty used to them. They used to scare me but now I just take some deep breaths until they pass. A thing good to know is that it's typical to feel them more when lying on your left side. I agree it's good idea to get everything checked just for your peace of mind.
    Good luck!
  6. healing

healing New Member

I too have them from time to time -- more irregular heartbeat than palpitations. My docs say nothing to worry about. Also have had chest pains resulting in a cardiac catheterization, but everything is normal. Racking it all up to FMS....
  7. Fibromiester

Fibromiester New Member

Recently I have experienced a Racing Heartbeat-for a minute or two, with shortness of breath, then back to normal. Also bad Hot Flashes. I was on estrogen about 5 yrs. ago. So, Now back on Estodiol patch and am doing better. I'm 53. But the FM is very bad and I'm on couch constantly with CFS symptoms now and still can't exert myself, or the heartbeat/breathing problems come back.(Am also now going through Candida-killing process)...
    Fibromiester
  8. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Mine go in phases...I will have them for a few days, then may go weeks without them, only to get them again.

Hugs,
    pam
  9. cyberamy

cyberamy New Member

they are kinda scary
  10. klutzo

klutzo New Member

FMS is a part of it, just like it is a part of FMS for 75% of us. At least 75% of us have a leaking Mitral Valve, and that will cause palpitations. It is very important to know if you have this, as you need to take antibiotics for all medical procedures involving blood if you have it, even for dental cleanings.
    For the rest of us, it is probably the "Big M", as a previous poster called menopause.
    I have gotten great help for my MVP by taking 60 mgs. of COQ10 every morning, and 400 mgs. of Magnesium at bedtime, and drinking a quart of water daily for every 50 lbs. of body weight. The water helps the most, as a well-hydrated heart valve does not leak nearly as much. You must also avoid lifting heavy objects with an MVP, because lifting causes your blood pressure to rise and that causes more leaking, which in turn causes palpitations.
    The test for the MVP is an echocardiogram, a painless ultrasound of the heart. You must drink as little water as you can stand for 12 hrs. before this test, or the MVP may be missed, for reasons stated above. Up to 40% of MVP's
    are missed because doctors don't tell people this.
    MVPS also explains some of our other symptoms like panic attacks, dizziness when standing up quickly, and sensitivity to crowds, noise and bright light.
    I am rambling....you can look all this up for yourselves on the web...sorry, we are not allowed to give website addresses on this Board, or I would.
    Klutzo

[This Message was Edited on 02/02/2003]
  11. sb439

sb439 New Member

roughly the first 4 years of CFIDS (when I didn't know yet what it was), often just after going up one flight of stairs, and then stayed for 30 minutes to two hours, weirdest thing, heart test showed nothing abnormal. These days I don't have palpitations any more, but I also don't do any aerobic exercise (beyond walking that is) any more.
    Susanne
  12. lunabella

lunabella New Member

yes, i do- i've had a mitral valve prolapse since about 13-14 yrs old. don't have palpitations/skips every day, they come & go. it depends on how much stress i am under. they happen more when i'm both working & in school- maybe several X day. other than that, i might feel it a few times a month. don't know if there's any connection btwn that & FMS/CFS. i keep hearing about this mitral valve prolapse "syndrome", that sounds an awful lot like FM/CFS.

from a website on MVPS:
    What is MVP Syndrome? Forty percent of patients with mitral valve prolapse also have an imbalance of the autonomic nervous system, or ANS, called dysautonomia. The ANS is composed of two systems; the parasympathetic and the sympathetic. It controls virtually all body functions, such as respiration, heartbeat, blood pressure, vision, and digestion. When this system is out of balance it can cause a myriad of symptoms, including panic attacks, anxiety, fatigue, migraines, irritable bowel, and more. This combination of symptoms is known as MVP Syndrome. Diagnosis is made by physical examination, a careful medical history, and an echocardiogram. Unfortunately, MVP does not always show up on an echocardiogram. Thus MVPS is a clinical diagnosis. Usually symptoms do not show up before the age of 14 or 15, but more and more children display central nervous system symptoms before the MVP shows up. Ninety-eight percent of people with MVP Syndrome have nothing wrong with their heart. The majority of symptoms are caused by an out-of-balance nervous system.mvps info: Common triggering events - childbirth, major viral illness, menopause, accident, surgery, college (leaving home and stress), death of a loved one, marriage, moving, divorce. Our nervous system doesn't differentiate between good or bad stress.

People with MVPS have a higher incidence of: TMJ (temporomandibular joint dysfunction), scoliosis, FIBROMYALGIA, PMS, fibrocystic breast disorder, tinnitus, infertility, SAD (seasonal affective disorder), altitude sickness, seasickness, and endometriosis.

Things to avoid: Humidity, extreme temperatures, saunas, lifting heavy weights.

~lunabella
  13. motg

motg New Member

I have had them on and off for about 3 years now.
    Barb
  14. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

have had this for years. I get minor palps and sometimes full blown tacycardida (this is where my heart beats really fast 150-170 for about 40-60 minutes) not a fun thing. This doesn't happen very often--thank goodness. I take a calcium channel blocker and the past two years adding a dot dose of beta blocker too. My miracle supplement is magnesium. This helps the palps a great deal. My ANS system is really sensitive which makes me sensitve to noises,lights, crowds as well as medicines and chemicals. It's not a joy, but I am learning to live with it--feeling that there is a connection to the FM. There have been many times I run to the cardiologist thinking something is wrong and all tests are normal. I feel my ANS problem and FM/CFS go hand in hand.
    Tania
  15. IngyW68

IngyW68 New Member

I am 34 and just went in for a chest x-ray and echocardiagram for chest pain and palps. I had started taking about 200mg a day of American ginseng and the dr. thinks this could have caused the symptoms. I stopped taking it and about 3 weeks later my symptoms completely went away. So, be careful of any herbal medicine and if you decide to take something, check with your dr. and right down any new symptoms right away. The reason I started taking that in the first place was to get more energy for my CFS/Fibro so.... back to the drawing board for me:)

Ingy
  16. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

Hi Jaster45,
    Yes, I had heart palpitations before I got CFIDS but they became more regular and more annoying with the DD. I was put in the hospital last July with what the docs think was acute pericarditis. Fancy words for inflammation around the heart lining but tests didn't show up any inflammation. Docs were scratching their heads. Eventually my doc said or maybe FM? Anyway, I find if I lay on my left side for very long palps tend to kick up for some unknown reason to me.
    Also if I am having a flare up during the night I sometimes have to sleep sitting up 1/2 way because between heart palpitations and chest pain I can't seem to breath enough H2O. I have had numerous heart tests - all normal - so they say just don't worry about it unless it is a new type of chest pain ... haha. Okay. That's easy right? So how do I know if I actually have a heart attack? Well, I guess I don't until I'm sure its a new type pain & its too late. sigh.
    Crazy life we live isn't it?
  17. sapphire

sapphire New Member

I ended up in the ER in December. Really elevated heart rate and blood pressure. They did all kinds of test and the heart checked out fine.
    I now have a diagnosis of POTS which is a form of dysautonomia. Definitely not a fun illness. At least now I know what has been causing all the dizziness and light headedness. I never passed out in my life till I was in the hospital. I did it again Friday night at a restaurant. I was totally embarrassed.
    The bad thing with dysautonomia is that alot of Drs don't know much about it. Some have never even heard of POTS. I am seriously considering going to Cleveland Clinic. I've heard that is a good place for this kind of illness.
    I wonder how many of us have something like this and don't know it. I realize now that I have had it for a long time.
    I would urge anyone to get checked out that is having heart palps.

Sapphire
  18. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I have had them on and off for a long time before being diagnosed with Fibro. They got so woorisome one fall I had a Halter test and ultrasound done and all was fine. I didn't realize that untill after it was extreme stress. The Mets and Yankees were playing each other in the World Series at the time. I am a hugh Mets fan, and hate the Yankees for so many reasons that it was so increadibly stressful to me!! I did not realize until that point how important that World Series was. As usual, the Mets blew it and within days I was better.
    Anyway, the heart palps still come and go, but are not that bad. Unless the Mets and Yankees meet again in the World Series...

Love,

Maria
  19. elainep

elainep New Member

I found that chelated selinium works wonders! I was taking Co-Enzyme Q10, which is pretty expensive. It also helped, but the chelated selinium stopped the palpitations completely.
  20. amilyne

amilyne New Member

hey all what exactly do heart palpitations feel like??? ..i found out a few weeks ago that i have a heart murmur..they grade them on a scale of 1-6, six being the loudest and mine is a one...but the doc did say that it sounded like it was coming from the mitral valve...its amazing with all the docs ive seen that noone had ever said anything before.. but hey whatever right.lol
    --ami