poll:how many people wake up rested after night of sleep?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AquariusGirl, Jan 26, 2009.

1. AquariusGirl

AquariusGirl New Member

Just wondering if there is anyone out there that feels this way--this is something I've been searching for since I got CFS. My Dr. tells me there is only 1 medicine that can get you into
    Stage 3/4 sleep and that is Xyrem and you are basically comatized for 4 hours when you take that. Not an option for me.

Just post 'y' or yes if you do. There has got to be somewhere out there somewhere.

2. victoria

victoria New Member

(fwiw, Melatonin can help. Some people find less than 1 mg more helpful, others take more. For myself, I find I need 3 mg in order to stay asleep and have dreams.

...Other things that may help are valerian, GABA, and L-tryptophan.

Hope that helps. L-tryptophan used to be my main helper but for some reason doesn't work anymore. For some, the precursor works better (sorry, can't think of the name of it right now).)

all the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 01/26/2009]
  3. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I even told my mum just yesterday that if I could be given ONE day where I could wake up not feeling tired, I'd be ecstatic.

I need to get some melatonin. Sleep medications increase my depression horribly. However I did realize last night that since switching from Zoloft to Prozac that my jerking in my sleep is virtually gone.
  4. loto

loto Member

I do not feel like i've had a good night's sleep. I take 120 mg of cymbalta nightly before bedtime, and it does help me get to sleep, and i, too, have many dreams that i actually remember when waking up. But, I never feel well rested. I've never had a sleep study, so I don't know what causes the bad sleep. I also go through cycles where I'll sleep through the whole nite until my alarm wakes me; at other times i wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning, can't go back to sleep, and get so stiff and achy that i just have to get up. The only things i've had definite dx's on are FM and Acid Reflux. Flexeril does knock me out pretty good, but makes me feel so much groggier the next day, that i don't take it unless i'm in severe pain.
  5. AquariusGirl

AquariusGirl New Member

And somethings work for some people and not for others. Just keep trying.

I recently started a low dose of melatonin. 1mg Melatonin along with 5mg Ambien and 25mg of Trazadone. I sleep 8 hours but am still very sleepy all day.

I did have two sleep studies that stated I don't get into deep sleep stages. The study was worth it b/c it eliminated that I don't have RLS or Sleep Apnea. But, nothing further was found out. They also realized I don't have heart problems either (good to know).

My favorite quote is: "All dreams are possible with love". My dream is to wake up refreshed and be non-drowsy during the day. I'm sure it will happen. I just have to believe.
  6. greatgran

greatgran Member

No, wish I did.

gg
  7. MsE

MsE New Member

Last week I had a good night's sleep and one okay night's sleep. I can't remember any other nights when I've slept well. Wish I could.
  8. Empower

Empower New Member

Never ever wake up refreshed
  9. tut90

tut90 Member

was when I first started taking Restoril, that lasted for a few weeks, then the doctor had to up the dosage, I think I need a higher dosage now, because I only sleep for four or five hours, the most. Last night I woke up around 3:00am and was not able to go back to sleep. I envy my husband when it comes to sleep, he could take naps during the day and fall asleep at night without a problem. I've never been able to take a nap during the day, unless I'm really sick with the flu or something.

I'm just exhausted.

Tut90
  10. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Wake up refreshed? Never...I have tried everything you can think of, from meds to supplements and other natural things, to all the good sleep hygiene stuff, to using a light box upon waking, etc....some have managed to temporarily knock me out, but they have only worked for a few days and then I go rt back to not sleeping well...and even when I have been able to sleep from meds or natural stuff, I have not woken up feeling refreshed...if anything those have all made me more tired and sleepy the next day...now I pretty much don't take anything, unless I am in a ton of pain....then I will break down and take Flexeril and it will make me sleep, but it will leave me feeling groggy the next day....oh and I do still use the light box, bc though it doesn't help much, it does give me a little more energy than I otherwise have (and it does help with depression, too)
  11. deliarose

deliarose New Member

I had 2 sleep studies showing little or no stage 3/4 sleep.. tried lots of meds including xyrem ( horrible experience.. but it did work)...

FINALLY, started on the simplified methylation protocol....5 suppps.. and got off sleep meds after 7 years and got refreshing sleep. that was 2 years ago...still sleeping like a baby

I take one tab of sam-e plus GABA calm a coupla hrs before bedtime to ensure solid sleep.

You need methyl donors to help convert seratonin to melatonin.

d.
  12. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

No matter what time is it - could be 3 am, I wake up - AWAKE, and in a good mood. I always have and hopefully always will. I have never ever used an alarm clock - that would make me angry to wake up that way. My husband sometimes wakes me up gently by rubbing my legs. (how sweet huh?) My problem is that about 4 hours later, I get incredibly sleepy.
    I too sometimes wake up because of HORRIBLE leg aches. Not just an ache, but deep pain which requires me to get up and move. Tylenol does not help and I dont' like to take pain medication in the middle of the night. I used to take Tylenol PM if needed.
    Lately, I've been sleeping through the night or at least 5-6 hours which for me is excellent and Im satisfied with that. Certainly better than sleeping 2 hours at a time. When you work, you can't survive on two hours of sleep.

Since I was a child and it's definitely gotten worse, if I nap and wake up too early I wake in horrible pain and in a bad mood. (just like a little cranky kid) No catnaps for this girl. I need at minimum an hour to two hours. Sometimes I just can't keep my eyes open and I HAVE to lay down, even if I've slept the night before.

I have less jerking now as well. Not sure why. I do take Topamax for headaches which is also supposed to help w/sleep. However I've been on it for over a year and only recently been sleeping through the night, so who knows what has attributed to my better sleep.

I have Klonapin to take - rarely take it. My rx it to take one in morning, one at night. NO WAY I could take it during the day - completely knocks me out. I get blurry vision before I take it, then goodnight.

Sleep is SO important - my Gosh, if my body is not rested, I can't believe the difference in my pain level.

Dreams - I dream very vividly. I also remember them first thing. Sometimes they're darn good. LOL