POLL-HOW TO KEEP POSITIVE??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by VickyB, Feb 11, 2003.

1. VickyB

VickyB New Member

Can everyone tell me how they keep positive, day after day, fighting this DD?? Some days are too much for me but I am trying to be more positive but don't alway know how.
    Thanks, Vicky
  2. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

Wow this is a difficult question to answer. I have a good support system with my family and that helps me stay positive. I guess read something that inspires you whatever that might be.

Talking with people who understand or who you feel comfortably with can help. Have a person who lets you vent when necessary. Do something every day that YOU enjoy, walking, singing, writting, crafts, or whatever it might be.

Sometimes a good cry can help too. Keep a journal and write down what you are feeling. I've done this in the past and it has helped me. One thing I do is to never look at what I wrote in the past, just write it down and let it go....

Hope this helps
    Warm hugs Laura
  3. VickyB

VickyB New Member

Thanks for the reply Laura. Sometimes I really get down in the dumps because I am too tired to enjoy anything anymore. I feel like a walking zombie that is always tired. But I will try some of your suggestions.
    Vicky
  4. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

always belive you will get better. a good book to lose yourself in. meditate. music . a good moan with a good friend who knows you are a good person. some days are hard and knowing that thats ok too. these are some of my coping stratagies.
    pinkquartz

ps i also write a journal where i let myself write anything no matter how dreadful, no judgement on myself while i write. its my space for the awfulness that is this dd. sometimes i write the good times too and that helps me . these days i'm alone alot and also its so long since i had a normal life. like you i spend some days way too tired to do anything enjoyable. i think those days i decide that actually i am amazing because i'm still sane![This Message was Edited on 02/11/2003]
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My therapist has used hypnotherapy to help me start thinking like a well person. Sometimes a person has to pretend a little before the brain catches up. She started by giving me visualizations for ridding me of some of my anxieties. One was to pretend that any problem is a beautiful feather in the palm of my hand. I can blow it up into the air and let the breeze take it away and never have to be bothered by it again. One woman on the board uses a children's bubble blower and puts her troubles inside the bubbles and lets they blow away. When the bubble pops, the problem is gone.

She plants all kinds of positive thoughts and lets me know that I am in command of my life just as though I'm at a set of controls.

Now, this may sound silly, but it really helps. When a person has been sick a long time, she identifies with being a sick person. It happens slowly over a long period and we usually don't even realize it's happening to us. My therapist told me that the body and brain remember how to be well, but we must reawaken these memories.

On those rare occasions when I'm feeling a little down, I either go rest of distract myself with a book, TV, or I clean out a drawer. It passes and I'm back to normal.

Love, Mikie