POLL: If you had the choice what would you choose?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darude, Jan 8, 2006.

1. darude

darude New Member

A friend asked me this question the other day and I found it interesting!

If you had a choice:

Five years of being NORMAL and HEALTHY again
    OR
    Ten years of staying as you are.

In other words cutting your lifespan in half to be healthy.

For me I would take the five years as I am already 55 and I would do everything I ever dreamed of.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/08/2006]
  2. wornoutmommy

wornoutmommy New Member

Since I have three little ones in my life, I pick Ten years of staying as I am.

I want to be with them for as long as I can, even if it just watching them grow. I would not want to miss a single minute of being part of their lives.
  3. tejanya

tejanya New Member

10 years, no question about it. if i took the 5, there would be alot of paths that was suppose to cross, but never had the chance. you never how important that next peron, be it a kid or adult, will be to you or you to them.
    oh yeah, i'd choose the same thing when i was 40, even 30 i believed the same. being close to someone that had a terminal and long lasting disease opened my heart to quite a bit of different situations most are lucky to never know.
  4. russiankids3

russiankids3 New Member

and enjoy all the quality time I could share with my kids, family and friends. I think quality of time would win for me over quantity of time. I could pack a lot into those five years!!
    Sue
  5. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I really get frustrated and depressed having excrutiating pain and unrelenting fatigue. I hate spending a large part of my day in bed. I wish so much that I could cook and entertain and have dinner parties...heck, just lunch with my girlfriends would be great. I'd love to have the energy to visit my 4 little grandchildren who live a 10-hour drive away. I could go on and on and on about the things I wish I could do and the things I miss.

However, I am just grateful to be alive and besides, what if they find a cure for this DD. I am blessed with 3 grown sons, 4 beautiful grandchildren and a husband who truly loves me and they never for one minute have doubted the severity of my symptoms.

I am 56years old...now ask me that question 10 years from now, if they still haven't found a cure......hmmmm.
  6. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I really couldn't say. I'm 59 y.o., and love life.

On one hand, I'd like not to have to suffer; on the other, I want to be around my family and life as long as possible.

The addage, "Everyone wants to go to Heaven, but no one wants to die.." is true I suppose.
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

I am going to be a copy-cat and say the same thing that Judy did .....

If, by healthy, it means no major illnesses and problems that I have now, - in other words totally healthy - I'd take the 5 yrs. If it would only mean being rid of the fibro, I'd take the 10.

You see, I will be 55 next month. I have a lot of major health problems now (my heart, systemic lupus, diabetes, severe arthritis, osteoporosis, major back issues, obesity, and the list goes on and on ...) and I really don't think I will be able to live another 10 years with my health problems.

My doctor has mentioned to me that I need to consider my quality of life, and right now on a scale of 1-10 (with 10 meaning that my QOL was at the all-time greatest) my QOL is at about a 2 or 3. Something needs to happen for me soon.

Therefore, 5 years with great health would be a blessing for me, and I, too, would cram 20 years worth of living in that 5 years!!

Hugs,
    Janet

[This Message was Edited on 01/08/2006]
  8. petsrme

petsrme Member

I love life when I am on my antidepressants so I would choose ten years like I am. Heck I would choose fifty years like I am. I have days when I might change my mind, but I ride through them right now and that helps. I also would want to stay exactly like I am for the ten years. If my conditions and pain worsened I might change my mind but as of now I could handle ten and more.
  9. darude

darude New Member

I would think differently if I were younger. This is based on staying as you are now NO CURE. Healthy would mean being releived of all illness. I would take the five years and travel back to my beloved country England. See all friends and family. Enjoy every glorious minute being able to walk and run and be pain free. I would be out and about doing all the things I haven't bee able to in the past few years. What a joy!!!! I get by as I am but I agree with JLH it is the quality of Life thats important to me. In ten years time I hate to think what I'm gonna be like and hate the thought of people having to do everything for me. A fate worse than death in my book.
  10. lin-z

lin-z New Member

But that is because today is a bad day and I know I would pick the 10 years when things arent quite so bad..so I cant give a straight answer since my "mood swings" wont allow it :/
  11. darude

darude New Member

Seems to depnd on age! If I were younger i would take the ten. I also asked my family and they said TAKE THE FIVE!!! Really they would love to see the old me back if only for a short while. Used to be life and soul of the party.
  12. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Even though I am in 50's I have kids at school plus autistic son so my aim is to stay alive as long as I am able as he cannot support himself. My bro had to have his bladder removed and use a bag, and I asked him"How do you accept it?" and he said "Well the other choice was being dead so one accepts it."

Interesting poll.
    Love Crom
  13. darude

darude New Member

5. Give me five! Give me five!!

Anne the Londoner!
  14. Mamalovinit

Mamalovinit New Member

I have so much to live for.

M
  15. darude

darude New Member

Mainly us oldies that want the five
  16. darude

darude New Member

I agree with you. Five years of healthy living would be a miracle for me. I would cram everything into those five years. I did not realize you had this for 7 years!!! I've only had for two and am sick of it.
  17. darude

darude New Member

I too have other health problems or maybe they are connected to this. Who knows mmmmm nobody it seems
  18. darude

darude New Member

It would be hard choice thats for sure especially with kids and family. If just fms would say 10 but unfotunately not my case.
  19. Musica

Musica New Member

I guess I'm with Butzie in that it would have to be TOTALLY healthy (no other diagnoses) in order to even consider the 5 years! As long as I don't get much worse than I am now, I would take the 10 years. However, if I became so bad I was housebound, I might reconsider. HOWEVER. Being a Christian, I would have to leave it in God's hands what He has for me to do, even if I may not see how He is using me. Being on the computer, on message boards, can be a witness.
  20. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I'm tired of all of this. I'm 55, too, and have known that something was wrong since I was 12 years old.

My doc once told me that vegetarians live longer and I looked at him and said,"Why in the world do you think I'd want to live longer?"

For the first time, he was at a loss for words.