Poll: Just wondering, How many of you are on Thyroid Meds......?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by laura81655, Mar 22, 2006.

1. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Hi everyone, It would be interesting to know how many are on on Thyroid meds and if their symptoms have improved to some degree.

I just found out yesterday that my Free t3 is a little low, but the TSH is in normal range. The Rheumy didn't suggest taking any meds, but to have my PCP watch this. I am going to look into this further.
    Thanks for responses.

Hugs,
    Laura
  2. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

Ive had hypo thyroid for several yrs. I was put on thyroid meds at that time. My PC checks my levels every 3 mths and we have had to adjust the dosage many times. I think we have it right now. My last ckup, he said my thyroid was perfect. At last!! My sister had thyroid cancer and Im always concerned about that but hers was contained and she is doing better but now is in the fight for her life with crohns.

Just make sure the dr keeps up with it.

Suzette
    [This Message was Edited on 03/22/2006]
  3. jane32

jane32 New Member

My TSH is fine but my T3 is low so my FFC dr. has me on 37.5 mg. I definitely noticed the extra energy but I am ready to dose up again I think. He was the first dr. that every gave me anything.
  4. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

This is common with our illnesses.

I have been hypothyroid for 15 years now. Diagnosed with fibro first.

Fondly, June
  5. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

My thyroid gland has been underactive for as long as I can remember. I've been on thyroid medications since I got pregnant with my first child - over 34 years ago.

My PCP monitors my levels and has reduced the amount of medicine I'm taking. My dosage has varied from 1 mg. to 2 mg. and now am down to .75 mg.

I truly believe that this dosage is too low and is causing a large part of my fatigue, but I can't convince my PCP or endocrinologist that the "normal" test results aren't "normal" for me. Classic problem for fibromites!

Nancy
  6. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I started Synthroid last fall. I think it has made some difference to my energy.

Kathy.
  7. deb06

deb06 New Member

I insisted on the proper testing and started on synthroid a year or so ago. Pain had no change but sweating and stuff it did help. Deb
  8. sueliza

sueliza New Member

My tsh was always in the normal range (between 2 - 3), but I found a dr who would treat the symptoms and not the number.

If your tsh is above 2 I would look for an endo that is willing to give medication a try.

My dr is trying to keep my tsh between .5 and 1. I do not have the overwhelming fatigue I used to have late afternoon, but I still freeze and it hasn't helped with the pain.

Sue
  9. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I have Hashimoto's thyroid .. hypothyroid with flares of goiter swelling inside and sore throat .. scratchy voice.
    Synthroid .112 mgs ...
    Fudge : )
  10. hoodnanny

hoodnanny New Member

i have had it for a few years and in those years i have had to go and get my med changed just about every time i go. it started out every three months, and now it is every 3-4 weeks.....i am on 150mg now...my hair has fallen out, skin like leather. nervous, name it...i hope that some day i can just get mine to a level where i can go 6 months without having to go in.....
    shirley
  11. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Sure sounds like most of us battle with Thyroid issues, thanks for your input on this.....

-Laura
  12. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Been taking medication for hypothyroid for three years now. I was severely low, and since I have been on the med and have upped it once, I have felt better than before, but I don't feel great. However, if I were not taking it, I would feel just awful as I did before being dx.

So.....

Another one.....hope this is helpful to you.

Sue
  13. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I am on T3/T4 bio-indentical thyroid med. I would gives me a little more energy. I haven`t noticed a huge difference though.

Sandy
  14. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

My lab tests were always normal but I had a low body temp, so started out with 60 mg. of Armour thyroid and a year or 2 later upped it to 90 mg. I don't notice a lot of difference and my body temp is still low, but I think I would be feeling worse without it.

Mary
  15. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I've been on Thyroid meds since November of 2005 and I'm beginning to see some small progress.

Three months ago, I couldn't even count backwards from 12..and had to get my handicapped sticker on my car.

I'm back to driving small distances now and I can count like a grown up too!!

Nancy B.
  16. Josie39

Josie39 New Member

Hand raised high here!
    16 years and counting.

Josie:eek:)
  17. JLH

JLH New Member

I just started on Synthroid about 4-5 months ago.
  18. sh2angel

sh2angel New Member

Since 94 since they removed part of my thyroid..hypo now..
  19. cats3

cats3 New Member

Due to thyroid cancer I have been on thyroid meds since 1981 when they removed thyroid.
  20. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Laura:
    My rheumy who takes care of my FM/CFS put me on Synthroid for hypothyroidism and he checks if off on my 'receipt' after each visit. I wonder if it is common to people like us?

N.F.