POLL Looking for Trigger

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ayhatch, Feb 9, 2007.

1. ayhatch

ayhatch New Member

I have done plenty of research on what can trigger FM and Auto-immune, but I'm interested in taking a poll of what you all think triggered your symptoms, etc.

These are my possible triggers:
    * I first became very symptomatic after my first child was born.
    HOWEVER...
    * I have also taken years worth of antibiotics for dental appointments because I have had a history of Mitral Valve Prolapse (I think MVP is another common traight for some of us.)
    I also had a lot of ear infections as a kid, so lots of antibiotics there, too.
    * I also had a very very bad flu when I was a kid in the 1970's. It was called the London Flu, I think? (Anyone heard of it?)
    For me it's possible that my bad growing pains, my failure to endure athletics and my tendancy towards nausea, dizzyness, etc. as a child were indicators of FM and my other auto-immune problems from early on, but Doctors didn't know to look for these symptoms as a sign of something more serious. For me, I think that I've had these problems laying "Just under the radar" since childhood, but my first pregnancy and childbirth put me over the top.

So, what do you think your trigger was?
    Childbirth?
    Antibiotic use?
    Flu or other serious sickness?
    Trauma? (Car accident, etc.)
    Severe psychological stress and/or abuse?

This will be another interesting gathering of stats...
  2. ask2266

ask2266 Member

I got flesh-eating bacteria pneumonia, went into septic shock and was in a coma for 2 weeks. Then, I couldn't walk and was oxygen, but rehabbed like crazy, running and lifting weights, and went back to work full time as an attorney just 6 weeks later, against doctor's advice. I got CFIDS 1 week after I started full-time work again. It was the straw that broke the camel's back. My EBV titers are high now, even though I had mono 16 years ago.
  3. mujuer

mujuer New Member

but i have my doubts. I had two shoulder surgeries on the same arm with alot of scar tissue. I was in pain all of the time and they think that is what started it. I however feel that it started after the dr. tried me on three different statins for my high cholestrol. I started having RLS after that and it just worked itself up into the rest of my body. My liver couldn't handle the statins at all. They tried me on zetia then and that affected me also.
  4. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I had lots of allergy problems as a kid and many ear infections with multiple rounds of antibiotics. I developed endometriosis symptoms at age 11. So much for the myth that endo is a career woman's disease.

My CF started after the birth of my first child in 1978. I believe my thyroid and adrenals were shot long before the pregnancy with a Cesearean delivery. I got violently ill from the anesthesia.

My FM started after a car accident in 1993. I was hit by a SUV while on a motorcycle. It was only supposed to be 4 weeks in a toe to hip cast for a fractured tibia/fibula. That turned into 4 months followed by 3 months in a splint. After 8 years of sheer misery I got that knee replaced in 2001 because all of the cartilage in my knee was destroyed in the accident.

My FM became much worse after a whiplash injury during another car accident in 1997. Whatever body part screams the loudest is the one my brain hears. For the first time the FM pain was screaming louder than the knee. The pain clinic tells me that bone grinding on bone is the some of the most severe pain a person can experience. I think FM is worse!

For my MCS, I think the trigger was the mosquito abatement programs of the 1960s & 70's. We lived on the dividing line between two towns and both would spray our street with pesticides. I think we got a double dose of some organophosphorus, organochlorine or pyrethroid pesticides.
  5. TinaJones

TinaJones New Member

Ayhatch - Great post. Gathering info is always a good thing as we try to figure all this out...

Here are my thoughts on my multiple health issues, including CFS and FMS:

* Multiple episodes on antibiotics...throughout childhood through my early 20's.

* Mono at age 16

* Chicken Pox at age 17 - VERY bad case, was extremely sick

*****Hepatitis B Vaccine - received it in nursing school and while working in the medical field. Even though I had other issues that probably predisposed me to getting ill...I think this vaccine did me in. Got extremely ill after the 2nd injection. Got the "flu" that never left and was subsequently dx with CFS. There are MANY links between the Hep B Vaccine and CFS/FMS.

* Fell from an unsafe deck, about 15 feet - I think this triggered the FMS..

* Viral Meningitis - yet another virus to do my system in.

* Six pregnancies and six c-sections - I'm very blessed to have my children...but the multiple pregnancies and surgeries probably didn't help things for me.

Whew, writing this down makes me cringe at how much my body has been through. There are a few more things :) but I think these are the major "triggers" that I believe caused me to not only "get" sick but to worsen over the years.

Look forward to reading everyone's posts. Will be curious to see the links between us all. --Tina