poll?? narcotics or not

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by willruthie1965, Jul 28, 2007.

1. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

Just wondering how many of you are going without pain medication?
  2. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

the more the better in my opinion.

Bunny
  3. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

My doctor is still working with Lyrica to help with the pain. Some days are better that others. On the bad days I wish I had some narcotics...like bunnyfluff said..the more the better...lol!!

Deb
  4. mafusula

mafusula New Member

I have been given all sorts of medications including antidepressants and anticonvulsants the strongest pain med being Norspan patch 20.

I've been on MS Contin (slow release morphine) for 2 weeks and the difference is unbelievable.
    So YES to narcotics!!
  5. survivalmode

survivalmode New Member

I take pain meds. Nothing else seems to help but I'm hopeful that going to a rheumatologist in Sept. will help things. Until then, all I have are the pain meds!
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I was also on MS Contin and it stopped the pain cold. Too bad I had side effects I could not handle. Once I started the MS Contin, I was up and out of the house, moving around again.

I had been housebound off and on for years.
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

Regarding your question ....Just wondering how many of you are going without pain medication?

I am on medications that help my fibro pain, but they are not narcotics.

I am on Neurotin, Cymbalta, and Zanaflex (the Zanaflex at night only).

If you are experiencing pain, you should most definitely take something, if you can tolerate it, for the pain. There is no use for anyone to sit around in pain on a daily basis.

Even if you just take Tylenol or long-acting Tylenol (Tylenol Arthritis), Advil or Motrin (Ibuprofen), Aleve, or what most doctor's prescribe--Ultram or Ultracet (Tramadol), a non-narcotic pain med.

Other meds such as Neurotin or Lyrica, and Cymbalta, really help on fibro pain. These do have some side effects for some people, though. I have been on the Neurotin, Cymbalta, and Zanaflex for years without any problems.

Well, the only quirk that I had to work out with the Cymbalta was to divide my 60 mg dose into 2 doses -- take 30 mg in the morning and 30 mg in the evening, because taking all 60 mgs in the morning made me feel to droggy all day long. When I changed the doseage, that problem went away!

jlh
  8. homesheba

homesheba New Member

paijn meds or i dont think i could have made it this long. id have been nuts by now and im not kidding. on the fentanal 50 mgs now.
  9. ann31065

ann31065 New Member

I am scared if I try narcotics I will never be able to get off of them and go through terrible withdrawls. I'm on ultram and that even scares me.
    Scardy cat,
    Ann
  10. lynnintn

lynnintn New Member

I could not get out of the bed without pain medication. I take Ultram, Aleve alternating w/Aspirin and Hydrocodone. If I did not have pain meds, I would just lie in the bed and cry all day.
    Lynn
  11. grace4u

grace4u New Member

I take Lortab darvocet skelaxin. thought long and hard then submitted. Nothing helps. I have severe scoliosis. actually for years thought FMS was caused by that and fatigue by stress. I have TMJ and The bulging disk in my neck makes me want to throw up. I need something more.

Grace
  12. caffey

caffey New Member

Can't move with out them. No brownie points for being a martyr.
    Cath
  13. oholland

oholland New Member

Thank God I have always had a high pain tolerance and make it with tramadol, tylonal, and cymbalta (although I am considering stopping cymbalta since I can function without it and the less meds the better as far as my particular body is concerned).

I do take Magnesium supplements and really notice the difference in my pain level if I have to stop them (which I did last week when I had hiatal hernia surgery).

I have been on various narcotics but most of them weirded me out and had me seeing things that weren't there. Last week after surgery they had me on a morphine drip (I saw bugs all over me!), switched to Vicodin ( I saw people who weren't there), and then finally got me to the point were tramadol/tylonal was working (plus a lot of sincere moaning).

This has been a bad surgery and really made my Fibro pain worse too. The last week has been HE double hockey sticks and made me love my Tramadol even more.

It's absolutely wonderful when we find a regimen that works for our particular bodies. I feel so fortunate that Tramadol works for me since so many other things did not.

I think that no one should ever question our need for our pain meds or our supplement regimen. We should have the opportunity to lead as normal a life as possible and only our bodies know what they need and when.

Olivia
  14. Suzan

Suzan New Member

A long acting one..and a short acting one..every day...without them, I would be in a chair most of the time I think!

I dont' think anyone should fear pain relief...there are so many different sorts of things available to try...but opiates do seem to help with fibro symptoms better than most things.
  15. mdjaj2231

mdjaj2231 New Member

I went a year without, but then the pain came back, so ultram, welbutrin, lidocaine patches, and motrin.

These days, without my meds there's no quality of life for me.

16. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

I have hydrocodone and can take one every four hours. I have the good fortune of being able to use it very conservatively--if I've had 3 in one day, I was in enough pain to be bedridden.

Please don't read that I have any bias against using prescription pain medication. I think I'm a bit shy about it because there's been a lot of addictive behavior in my family and I'm weird about all my meds that way.

Plus, I don't think I'm in as much pain as some of the people posting on this board. Plain and simple.

But I do use it.
  17. Acai

Acai Guest

yes I am taking pain meds.