Poll on working with FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fransmom, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Fransmom

Fransmom New Member

I am new to FM and still working. I am wondering how many people on the board are also still working. If you are, do you take pain meds in order to go to work? Does working make you feel better or worse? I've noticed that when working I kind of don't notice pain so much, but when I'm done, I crash. I teach at a university, so I have a rather flexible schedule, but it's still draining.

Anyway, I thought it might be helpful for all of us still able to work to share ideas, experiences, etc.

Eileen
  2. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

Actually I just spoke to the doc about this subject and asked for referral to a rhumy.

I do not take meds because at work if I took all the meds the doc RX then my mind just jumbled and I forgot things which is dangerous working as a nurse.

I feel much worse at work because I hardly ever get a break and always walking or working.

When I get home as like you I crash. I do not have the energy to do anything else. At work I hurt all the time.

I do not know the answer but I know I have to work as I am the only one with money coming in.

My friend who worked along with me has FM also but she ended having to quit because the stress of the job ended up her having a massive stroke. She is only 53.

hopefully I will get some answers with the rhumy.
  3. revlcb

revlcb New Member

Like you, I too have a flexible schedule...somewhat. If I'm feeling lousy I'm able to go home after I get the most important work done, but that's not always the case if there's meetings to attend. Then there's always the work that has to be caught up on when I get back.

Right now I'm on very little medication due to elevated liver enzymes, so Advil is the extent of my pain relief, which of course is like shooting an elephant with a grain of sand. So, feeling doped up isn't an issue but the pain and fatigue certainly makes it difficult to focus.
  4. HRgirl

HRgirl New Member

I work full time in HR. I am so beat by the end of the day with my symptoms in full flare I just want to go home and sleep. I am having a lot of problems with this lately because my house is a mess (a big mess) because I don't have the energy to clean it and most weekends are spent trying to recooperate so I can get through the next week. I have a little one too 22 months and I feel sad that I don't have the energy to do as much with him as I would like. My husband is discouraged because he thinks I just need to lose weight and am lazy. I am starting the diet and excercize program I was on before I got pregnant that put my symptoms into remission for quite a while until I got pregnant. But until you get used to the exercise, it makes everything worse for a while.
  5. Butterfly_of_grace

Butterfly_of_grace New Member

I DONT have a choice...But I will say as long as I am not sitting all day (at a desk) and IM in CONSTANT motion I get thru the day. By the end of my shift (I am a Physical Therapist Aide) into the eve I hurt like a son-of-a-gun, IM shot mentally and physically and half the time I dont even eat dinner because IM just too out of it and too exhausted. SOmetimes struggling with the kids really pushes me over the edge because of having a busy day with patients all day...my job is definately a physicalone and again, Im always moving. But if I do get a chance to sit that is when the fatigue takes over and my head goes into a fog. SO the more I move the better. My hubby every night rubs down my legs and my back so Im blessed to have him know thatIm hurting and i need his healing touch. I think for me the pain hasnt been as bad as my fatigue level. I struggle EVERY SAY at the SAME TIME with feeling liek I just dropped off a cliff, cnat focus, concentrate and can barely move. I only work three days a week (and a cleaning job every other week between that). I dont think I could ever work full time ever again. Right now because of four kids is the main reason but even so, last yr I worked two jobs equaling about 40-45 hours a week and well it tooks its toll mentally and physically. Now hubby works the twp jobs and I work my one job at about 22-25 hours a week.

So thast my story. The main reason is we cant afford me not working. Im not sure how other people do it financially but I know we cant do it thats for sure. I guess if money was better I probly wouldnt work...then again, I feel like Im functioning in society and it gives me a self esteem boost so who knows...maybe I still would work part time.

HUGS
    [This Message was Edited on 03/15/2007]
  6. cczub

cczub New Member

I'm still working a full time job as I'm only 28, am married, have a 7 year old son and one due in June... There's no way I couldn't work.

It's not easy. I am on Tramadal and Vicodin on a daily basis. The tramadol helps me get through the day by knocking down (not eliminating) the pain and Vicoden is taken as soon as I walk through the door most days. By the end of the day I crash. I don't do much anymore after work.

Now that the spring is here, I have to start coaching my son's Jr. Pee Wee team. That's practice 2 times a week after work and 1 game each Sat/Sun @ 10am....

On top of all this I'm remodeling my bathroom the week of Easter..

It's not easy but I do what I have to...

There are days I shouldn't be working because of the pain or fatigue or both, but no one else is going to pay my bills so I just do it.
  7. twitcher

twitcher New Member

I am a nurse. I don't take any meds. I work 3 days at week. I don't have the fatigue or cognitive problems that many people have. My problems are physical....numbness, tingling, twitching and pain. I just suffer through work because I have no choice. There's no way I could work 40 hours a week.
  8. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I work part-time as a secretary at a small college and feel very fortunate. I was able to choose my hours. I knew they wanted me there everyday so I work from 8-12:30 Monday-Friday. Even though this is a part-time job, I just work the number of hours required to be eligible for health care. I also get vacation and sick time. I also have my summers off, but I am not eligible for unemployment during that time.

But I feel so grateful to be able to at least work part-time and have a husband who is in good health and can work full-time. I have a lot of days when it is hard to get out of bed and go to work, but most of the time I can get through the mornings. I don't call in sick very often.

Also, my job is not a real stressful one most of the time. So far it's worked out pretty well with the FMS. And it does make me feel good mentally to at least be able to work part-time. I would hate to feel like an invalid.

Ellen
  9. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I work full time in an administrative position with county government. I am the department head and have a lot of stress and responsibility at times--but I can be somewhat flexible with my hours as long as everything gets done.

I only made it through last year by learning to delegate and trying to learn to pace myself.

Harder than it sounds.

Yes, I take meds daily. I take pain meds (hydrocodone)but they don't make me sleepy at all. I take up to 3 a day.
    I also take tramadol occasionally--it tends to give me a headache.

I started taking Provigil recently and it's been a big help with the fatigue. I thought I was going to have to quit work from the fatigue alone.

I also take Celebrex when my stomach allows.

I also have FM, Arthritis,degenerative discs and facets.

OTC pain relievers don't help me.
    I need to take my meds to function. If I don't take them, I can't concentrate because the pain is so bad.
  10. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I am off on STD since early Feb of this year. I will probably have to go on LTD if I can get it. If I can't get it I will stop paying for it!!! geez ANd probably get fired. Then I will havee to file bancruptcy and file for SSDI and probably become a bag lady :-( .
  11. Shalala

Shalala New Member

BUT then again it proves even someone in a position such as yours can and do get it. I think we all dread dealing with HR about issues like this.
  12. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I work around 50 hours a week. I think my job is on the line right now because Fibro Fog is interfering with the detail work my job demands.
    I take Vicodin, Cymbalta, Soma and Naproxen.. I don't take the Soma at work as it makes me too tired.
    I crash at the end of the day as well.
    I do events, weddings, meetings etc. for a busy restaurant-inn. Love what I do, but don't know how much longer I can do it!

Hugs!
    dona
  13. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I am 55 and just quit work last August because I couldn't function anymore.

I have had FM for most of my life but was not diagnosed until 1997.

I had a desk job I thought I'd never have to give up but typing, reaching, sitting, walking all hurt. The brain fog really messed it up after awhile and I couldn't keep up. I certainly did the pain meds to keep working. What I enjoyed for many years at work was being able to not think about the pain for periods of time. Now I don't have that distraction.

My husband helped me to keep working for many years. He did all the house cleaning, cooking, and shopping. After a days work I could do nothing else.

I hope that most of you can continue to work as long as possible it is a great distraction!
  14. HanginginNYC

HanginginNYC New Member

Hi, I work as a full-time instructional services librarian at a university. I teach all the time. Even though I love to teach, it is draining, as I try to appear as enthusiastic and full of energy as much as possible to keep students awake.

I’ve got to take Ultracet the first thing in the morning so I can go to work. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia almost two years ago. I am a single woman trying to make it on my own in New York City, and believe me it is hard to make it financially in the City. Rent is outrageous, which makes me feel like I cannot afford to miss even one month’s paycheck.

My dog keeps me going. Sometimes I have to wait until the pain medication kicks in some in the morning so that I can walk the dog. I take the subway for transportation, which means climbing many flights of stairs before I even get to work. I have no choice but to work to pay the bills and afford nutrition and medication.

My work schedule changes every week because I teach different classes at the university (library instruction sessions) every week and my office mate now has a baby. I try to be accommodating as much as possible to her schedule. Some days, I cannot make it in and just crash. I am fortunate to have a understanding boss, who does not really want me working any overtime (beyond 40 hours) because she knows that it will make me completely crash, and then I have to take one or two days off from work to recover from the crash.

By the end of the work day, I take the subway home, sit or stand in pain on the train, walk the stairs at the train station, walk home, walk my dog, and crash. I feel completely drained at the end of the day. Once in a while, I will take a big meal to eat at lunch at work because I am so exhausted at the end of the day that it is hard to eat anything. I’m ready for bed anytime after work.