POLL: Pain Killers Do they help or not

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sfrazier, May 21, 2006.

1. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I was going to ask my doctor last time i was there but forgot (surprise) so figured I would bring it to the board where I get most of my info from anyways. I have a couple of different pain kills but my question is: do they actually take care of the pain or do they just make you tired enought to fall asleep and forget about the pain? what's everyones thoughts on this?????SueF
  2. millennia

millennia New Member

Well they say that if over the counter pain killers help, you probably don't have fibro. But a lot of people on here seem to get some help from the prescription ones.
  3. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

The answer is yes. The prescription meds make life more bearable. I still have to take other measures such as long soaks in salts, heating pads, etc., but to make life bearable and to help me sleep, I need my meds.

I do wish that I did not need them though. All prescriptions cause other problems.
  4. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

See that is my problem I take darvecet and then if that doesn't knock it out then i have something called soma. When the pain is bad neither one of these work not even when i take them together. The onlyy thing they do for me is make me tired enough to go to sleep. I can still feel the pain just don't care anymore cause of how tired i am.
  5. erfula1

erfula1 New Member

That is why it makes you sleepy.

Personally , I didn't find that any pain meds helped me and at one time I was on fentanyl with is stronger than morphine. I would feel better for a couple hours but it would wear off before it was time to take another and then the pain was worse than before. I also didn't like the way it made me feel groggy and "loopy".

I am med free today and I feel better mentally and physically. Sometimes the pain is still unbearable but I have learned natural ways of dealing with it.
  6. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

I take 500 mg of Soma at bedtime for my muscles to relax and Vicoden for pain when I am ready to cry. Soma is not a pain killer, but will relax the muscles.

TxSongBird
  7. ksp56

ksp56 Member

If I am flaring badly, I find that Vicoden helps take the edge off better than anything else. Still not perfect but, along with heating pads, Arnica rub etc., it does cool down the pain.

I have recently been seeing a pain management doctor due to severe neck and spine problems. He put me on Ultram ER and it is TRULY a miracle for me. By itself, it really helps and when I need to take a Vicoden and this, it is amazing.

The Ultram ER does not make me sleepy, but does help with the pain so it allows me to relax more, and get more restful sleep.

Hope this helps!

Kim

8. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Pain meds do help me. I just take them when I need to and recently that has been less often. I think it's a quality of life issue. Everyone has to decide if the benefits outweigh the side effects.

Kathy
  9. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

Other wise, I would have ended my life along time ago. I take 3 different prescription pain meds and 2 muscle relaxers. Ive been getting worse for the last 3 months and the pain meds are not taking care of the pain anymore without taking more. I have to see my Rheumy soon so we can try to get a handle on this.

At first, they make you soo sleepy that you do sleep more, and your body heals during sleep. Then you get used to them and they dont give you that dopey feeling(which I hate). They just help with the pain.

Suzette
  10. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

So yes, they do help me. I am on the Fentanyl patch, and have Percocet for breakthrough pain, and Zanaflex for a muscle relaxer and also take Trazodone for sleep & Topamax for nerve pain.

Well, taking all of that, it better be helping me! If I didn't take it, I would not be able to work full time, take care of my family & my house, and have any quality of life. I still struggle with the last one, because I still hurt most of the time, but it is not as bad as it could be.

Take care,
    Leanne
  11. justplainmom

justplainmom New Member

Before my diagnosis, I was only taking Extra-Strength Tylenols and eating them like candy. Minimal help and my pain was keeping me from living. I wasn't sleeping due to pain and that was just making the circle worsen.

At first, I was put on Skelaxin 3x/day and 10mg Flexeril at night. It only helped enough to take the edge off. I still wasn't sleeping well. I was afraid that was it for me.

Thanks to the board members here, I asked my rheumy for something stronger. She added 100 mg Ultram to take at night. After almost a week, I'm starting to notice a big improvement. She told me the pain would always be there, and it is. But now I can deal with it. My sleeping has improved 100%. I've also got a good chunk of my life back again, too.

I'm not groggy from this combination. But on my bad days, I still find myself sore, tired and needing to rest, like yesterday. If at all possible, I try to give in to those days.

If you're not happy with what's been prescribed, don't wait for your next appt. Call and tell them how you feel. That's what they are there for.
  12. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I could not function at all without the med. I try to take mine on a consecutive basis so that it will stay in my system. Thats the main pain med I take and it doesn't make me groggy. If I have to take other breakthrough, they do.

So, my answer, of course is yes, they help me.

BlueSky555

13. Treca

Treca New Member

Whenever I was on them they actually took all my pain away. I may not have the strong type of pain that most people feel with fibro, but for myself it hurts so bad that I can't even cry and I can't even moan from the pain. I just lay there and rock back and forth.

I never want to go through that experience again. Like I said before on other posts. If the meds I'm taking now ever stop working I will go back to the narcotic I was taking before this.

They did make me sleepy at first and then I got use to the meds and I was fine. I think it actually took me a little less then a month(I had never took any narcotics before).

If those two meds are the only painkillers you have ever taken you may need to try something else. Who knows, you may find a combination of meds that work for you.

Everyone on this board is different in what they can and can not take, but it's very informative to get different perspective from everyones stories. That way you can do your research and take it to your doctor and talk to him about what you have found.

Good luck in your search. I know that it can be a very rough road to get to a place where you are comfortable.

Treca :)
  14. mary124

mary124 New Member

I take Vicodin for pain. It does help me along with my other meds, and of course, my "good friend the heating pad!"
    Without them I wouldn't be able to function and hold down a job.
  15. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

They give me energy and keep me awake for some reason. I had to take one at 2:30 PM today as my hubby and I were going to shop for a new dryer as ours broke on Saturday.

I was able to find one in record time and then sat down to wait for the man to ring it up for the cc. We were in and out of that place within 45 minutes, but I had my cane with me anyway.

The pain pill did help with my back for that trip. But once I got home and had to run a load of dark clothes and put the towels and whites I had hung up on wooden clothes dryer racks, my back started to hurt again.

The Lortabs help, but don't take all the pain away, but then I don't feel drugged either.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be pain free for 24/7. Pain pills help, but they don't take it all away from me.

Hugs,
    Faye
  16. Jordane

Jordane New Member

Those little pills are the only thing between the pain and sanity.They dont take it all away.But what they do is a blessing.:>)

Take Care!
    Jordane
  17. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

hey all!
    i take vicodin and robaxin for pain. robaxin is a muscle relaxer which works but it makes me tired and kind of dizzy. vicodin helps a lot but with that comes the side effect of feeling sick to my stomach. it seems like the trade off for being able to get rid of the pain is at times crppay side effects, so i have to really be hurting to actually take them. but lately it seems like i'm taking them more often because the pain in my arms and shoulders especially keeps getting worse. it's worth the side effects!
    rachel
  18. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I appreciate everyones response. While taking Darvecet and Soma for the pain those are not the only drugs i take. i also during the day take 75 mgs of effexor, 50 mgs of celebrex 25 in morning and 25 in afernoon.The darvecet an soma is as needed. At night I take one of the darvecet, one soma, two more of the effexor plus 150 mgs of nortyptalyn (sp) plus2 mgs. of clonazepam. And even then all of that does not make for a peaceful sleep. The darvecet along makes me kinda drowsy but doesn't really help with the pain which is why I add the soma too. Unfortenly i fall asleep in pain and wake up with the same pain. So maybe i need something stronger then the darvecet.? Maybe up the dosage up to 50 mgs.? SueF
  19. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I have called in recently and asked for some hydrocodine.She instead told me to take ultram and was about to call in a perscription.Well, I already have that meds. in my meds. cabinet and it is as useless as taking a sugar pill.

Right now I am in constant severe pain.I have to take care of my daugther that requires doing all her personal care and taking a wheelchair in and out of a van.I asked my rehuemy. to give me stronger meds. just to help the pain and like I said she put me on ultram again.

I am afraid I am dealing with a reheumy. that will not give out stronger pain meds. that that.I have an aunt that sees the same dr. for fm.Luckliy she has a neurologist and he gives her the strong pain meds.Our reheumy. just keeps adding vitamins to her growing list of meds.not once has the reheumy. given her hydrocodine or anything even close to it.

I may resort to getting pain meds. from my family dr. He is very understanding when it come to treating pain.Just hate I have to get pain treatment from a dr. that is not the one that should be treating my fm pain.

Very frustrating.
    Sheila
  20. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

I'm almost afraid to share this for the fear of being judged. Yes, I do take pain meds and yes they help a lot. I take oxycontin 80 mg.twice a day and and roxicodone for break through pain. Even with these, I still have pain but but at least it is tolerable. Before taking these meds I had no quality of life.

I was a hospice nurse and I use to medicate my patients so they could die comfortably. I asked myself, why can't they medicate me so I can live comfortably? LuAnn