Poll: Quirky, unique housekeeping organizing tips . . .

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lolee, Jan 23, 2006.

1. lolee

lolee New Member

Okay, this is my THIRD attempt !!!!! What. an. idiot!

I'm too tired to even list mine now!! Ha Ha HA!!!

I'm at work too!!!

Please list what you all do that maybe some of use wouldn't have thought of, just your own little step savers that make life easier for you.

Like one of mine is I keep the roll of trash bags in the bottom of the trash can so I don't have to hunt them down. And I use plain old kitchen/hot dog tongs to get stuff off the shelf or out of the frezzer so I don't freeze my hands.

Stuff like that!!

Okay, I cannot wait to here what you all do!!

Love
    Lolee
  2. windblade

windblade Active Member

one of those long metal grippers (gopher) so I can reach high up on shelves for things, or especially when things are on the floor. Really saves strained muscles.

Good ideas on here!
  3. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Yay! I am glad this is back.

Okay I am feeling really worn out and tired all of a sudden so I actually don't think I can post but I will come back in a little while and put my tips in.

((((HUGS))))

kate
  4. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Get dad to do everything. I do what I can, but when I can't, he is there for me. (((dad)))
  5. lolee

lolee New Member

I couldn't remember some of the ones from my first and SECOND attempt at this!!

My fave is that I line my counters with kitchen towels, I have ALOT! This way I can just shake the crumbs off switch 'em out when they get dirty, or if "good" company (you know what I mean! LOL) just pops in I can just ball em up real quick . . . . .

I even have my boyfriend in the habit now!

I also collect the fabric placemats from the thrift stores and use them on the chair cushions, my cats just LOVE the dining room chairs and again just pick them up and not SO much cat hair, both my cats are black one long hair one short . . . . so you REALLY get it at my house!

Lolee
  6. lolee

lolee New Member

I would say the foot thing IS pretty quirky!!! LOL!!!!

I guess I could pick it up with my toes, but then what? I surely can't bend myself to reach my foot!!

Smiling,

Lolee
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

but it's cheap!

I clean my stainless steel kitchen sinks with baking soda instead of stuff like Soft Scrub. It makes them shine, gets them clean with little effort scrubbing, and makes the drains smell fresher!! and ... it's soooo much cheaper than regular chemical cleaners! Also, is won't scratch your stainless steel!!!
  8. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Time limits.

I set a timer for 15 minutes each day and do whatever I can in that fifteen minutes.

No matter how crappy I feel or how much pain I am in I make myself do it because my self esteem feels better if I can at least do something!

Some days if I am feeling good I set the timer for 20 or 25 minutes. Depending on what needs to be done.

Also I have certain chores for each day. Like Mondays are empty trash cans and water plants. Tuesdays are wash all bedding including dogs stuff.

Oh and here is a good tip: Hire a cleaning lady! LOL Just kidding! Mine just left so I am feeling really good right now because everything is spotless and shining!

I have a bunch more I just can't think of them at the moment.

kate
  9. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I love using a timer it helps me so much. I do a little each day. I've started sewing again :) Oh! I vacume my boxer once a week she doesn't mind (but not her head)
    Dee50
  10. patches25

patches25 New Member

I keep an extra set of stove top liners and if company comes, I take the dirty ones off and replace with the nice clean new ones. Then when they go I go back to the ones that I can't seem to keep clean. Also I have made shelves on my counters for my most used dishes so I don't have to reach so high.

In bathroom I have a small basket on counter where I throw clean washcloths - not folding them anymore.

I do a lot of food prepreparation. Things like using a scissors to cut up 1/2 inches pieces of 2 lbs of bacon and frying it up then freezing the pieces for adding to veggies, sandwiches, casseroles, salads, etc. Also, cook up piggie links and freeze. I cook extra amounts of favorite foods like lasagna and freeze the extra.

I use a shoe bag filled with various envelopes, stamps, business papers etc for some of my business things. That way I can grab things so quickly and see what is getting low.

There are probably other things I do but this is a start. I do like some of the ideas here. Thanks to everyone. E.
  11. lolee

lolee New Member

I use a clear plastic shoe organizer, the kind that hangs on the back of a door. Mine is on the back of my bathroom door, and I put everything in there: make-up, hair clippies/stuff, hair spray, deoderant, brushes, toothpaste, toothbrushes, lotions, perfumes, bath stuff, pumice stones, the stuff I want out of reach of little kids I just put in the upper pockets - all that stuff that usually goes in to a drawer or cabinet or on the counter.

I swear this works so good and since it's clear you can see everything.

This my number one gift to give out 'cause all my friends have seen it and so they know exactly what to do with them.

I love your replies!!! I am gonna use a lot of what I've read here!!!!

keep 'em coming!!
    Love,

Lolee
  12. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

First trained kids on proper house hold cleaning and to do their everyday chores - then I trained the Ol Man how to properly do the laundry.....of course change outs only happen during commercials....something I need on the floor or low - KIDS!! LOL

Can't think of anything right now
  13. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I do that too! How funny! Have been picking stuff up with my toes ever since I developed this DD! You get pretty good at it after awhile.

Also, I do once a month cooking. You can do a search online for recipes and how to do it. OAMC is the abbreviation and if you search OAMC, you will find lots of sites and recipes. I don't do everything in one day as I don't think anyone with FMS/CFS could, but I divide it over a few days and it saves me from cooking everyday. Also, less cleanup and less grocery shopping. Works for me really well.

Other than that, I threatened my husband with paying $5.00 extra and ordering my groceries online at local store and was going to just pick them up. He made my son go to save the $5.00 and he actually did a good job! He bought stuff that he likes to eat also, saving me from trying to figure out what he wants for breakfast/lunch. I think I will send him from now on!

Take care, Sally
  14. kch64

kch64 New Member

I've enjoyed reading the tips....let's see...

I like those flexible rubbermade laundry baskets better than the stiff ones. I think they're easier to handle. If you want to pick up fast, just go through the house ten or fifteen minutes, throw everything in the basket thats out of place, and stuff it in a room that you don't use, or a place where no one will see it. When you feel like it , you can go back and put the stuff where it belongs. If you need before that, you just go to the basket.

I like those pledge multipurpose clean wipes. You can wipe counters, mirrors, wood and everything. Saves buying too many cleaners. Their good in the car too.

Open your bills by a trash can and throw out the junk mail right then. I have a lot of paper to recycle every week, so I just put it in the recycle bin.

Its kind of expensive, but if you can afford it, I would recommend a front loading washer on a pedestal. I love mine. No more bending and reaching down into the washer for clothes, and it doesn't cause a lot of lent because your clothes don't get "torn up" as much. No agitator.
    Saves water and electricity also.

I like those lambs wool dusters too. They pick up everything and you can get them on a long handle to you don't have to reach.

That's all i can think of.
    Kendra

[This Message was Edited on 01/24/2006]
  15. patches25

patches25 New Member

Pin one of those plastic grocery bags to your shirt or pants when you are cleaning. All little types of "garbage" goes in that so you don't need to go to a wastebasket. Saves a lot of steps. E.