poll.....re pain and fm and cfs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mamafurr, Jul 20, 2003.

1. mamafurr

mamafurr New Member

i'm sure this has been asked before, but i need this for my education and w/respect to the rally i would like to see next "national fibromyalgia awareness day"

who has pain with "CFS"

who has pain with "FM"

pls let me know what you have, be it 1 or both.

i am trying to figure out where pain comes in w/fm in relationship to cfs. due to the response of my pain post.

even though i understand everyone's perception of pain varies, let's say #10 would be like putting a lit match under your fingertip.

on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being ER time. let's do this as if you are NOT on pain medication.

who has pain with fm?

who has pain with cfs?

my fm pain is all over constantly (skin hurts) and centralizes in specific areas during various activities.
    so i would be a 7 constantly.
    thanks for your time

alice

[This Message was Edited on 07/20/2003]
  2. Dara

Dara New Member

it changes within a matter of seconds sometimes. But, without pain medication I would be an average of 8 to 9. All I can say, is thank goodness I am on the pain patch, I would not/could not tolerate any more pain.

Dara
  3. suz41

suz41 New Member

Hi Alice :

I have Fm, fairly recently diagnosed(late last year) 14 out of 18 tender points. Most of my pain in my lower back if I'm not in a flare usually general leg achiness/ stiff hands and joints pain level 4 maybe 5. When flaring back pain is usually at 8/9, thats when pain patches come into play and many warm baths with lavender. Walking eases the stiffness for me as well as yoga and meditation. Hope this is helpful. Pacing myselfhelps to keep the flares down.

Take Care,
    Suz
  4. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

I have pain most days, but it's usually minor (1-3). What's weird is that it's transitory. In my 2-1/2 block walk to the post office I can start with my right ankle hurting, then that will stop and my left knee will hurt, then that will stop and my left ankle will hurt, then that will stop and my right ankle will hurt again.... Sometimes it's more severe (4-6) but goes away after maybe 20 minutes.

That's all joint pain. What's worst is the bone-deep muscle aches. I don't know how severe they really are, but the fact that nothing helps and they last all day makes me say "8".
  5. Suzan

Suzan New Member

But most days I am between a 2 and a 4...then on the overexertion days, it bumps up to 6...in a flare I would say so far the worst is an 8.
  6. tansy

tansy New Member

No one has checked out fm but I do feel I have both. I was in dreadful pain, especially im the earlier years: would rate it as 10 but couldn't tolerate the meds that had at least some effect.

Over the years with a holistic approach the pain varies more and rarely goes up to 10 now, in fact worst chronic pain currently is through spinal problems and referred nerve pain. The rest is always there but fluctuates in its severity.

I'm sure a lot of patients in the UK are being diagnosed with cfs when they have just fm or both. The pain described in much of the literature over the years is identical to that experienced in fm and even tender point were mentioned.

Cheers

Tansy

7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Twenty years of FM, I have been to all your gauges of this pain. My husband always says that I don't have pains, I have one pain and it travels all over my body. I think he is right, feet, hands, knees, back, chest, shoulders, arms, and any other part of my body has felt the sting of this pain.

The 10 I would say is when the spasms start in my back, thats when it hurts to just think about moving any part of my body.

Right now I am about a 2, with just a Flare now and then.

I stay at a 2, it never goes away completely and I know its there at all times.

I do not take any pain meds, no matter how bad it gets, the only thing I can take is Advil gel caps. So far, all prescribed pain meds have caused terrible reactions on my body.

Thanks to supplements, drinking water, rubs, soaks, heating pads, mattress pad, I am doing what I consider wonderful right now with the pain.

Shalom, Shirl
  8. lbp102

lbp102 New Member

I know i'll catch heat for this, but to treat a chronic condition with strong pain killers on a regular basis is just asking for either an addiction to narcotics or an immunity to the pain killer. I have found that the greatest time of pain is when you fear it most. Cut the fear and you will be able to live with the pain. I spent a month in the hospital for FM, CFS, and CMP. A 10 level of pain to me would be unable to move, nerves on fire, and probably screaming. A 10 is the limit. If you're at a 10, you need an ambulance to get to the hospital. I realize all these numbers are self-assigned and meaningless, but for what it's worth i was at an 8-9 before physical and psychological therapy, and now i'm a steady 5-6. One day i'll get to 2, if the CMP stops spreading. I strongly recommend psychological help for people with this type of chronic pain. That and the study of meditation has allowed me to greatly reduce my 15 years of pain by 30% or so in less than a year.