Poll: Swear or Not

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Susan07, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I'm interested in how many of us swear (cuss) and feel it's because of the way we feel.

I swear.

I use to not and was certainly raised not to but this DD can be so frustrating!
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Susan, no I do not swear much, more likly to pray instead! When in pain, I am looking for help. I used to sound like a Sea Captains daughter, but after I was born again I found it just didn't fit anymore :)

But I do understand how these illness can cause frustration and the first thing most of us do would be swear to hell and back!

Shalom, Shirl
  3. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I also never used to swear. I only needed my mouth washed out with soap once. . .

Later, I even tried to swear, to be cool. Couldn't force myself. Maybe living in an enviornment where it was everyday language had something to do with it but I do think that feeling rotten and being in a bad mood, so easily frustrated all the time, contributed too. It just gets more anger and frustration out to swear, for some reason.

I have to add my cousin to this as well (CFS).

JoAnn
  4. billiegail

billiegail New Member

I do cuss. I am a Christian and cussing does not feel right to me, but when I am literally at my whits end... I sometimes cuss out loud, but inside I sound like a sailor.
    I pray about it cause I should have gotten on bended knee instead of bending my morals and values.
  5. MissRachel

MissRachel New Member

I only swear when I've done something wrong or when others annoy me. But I only do it in my head. Does that count? Sone timew I let one out, only if poeple are bugging mr bit. I'd never swear at my dallin husband.

Rachel
  6. Notonline

Notonline New Member

I don't think it's because of the way I feel...used to hang out with dad in the garage when he was doing car repairs. How many have seen the movie "Christmas Story"??? LOL

Later, I started restoring old VW's and took some autobody classes with a class full of nothing but men...nothing like a rusty car and skinned knuckles to give richness to your vocab. I really try not to though...esp around my son : )

Danny
  7. Dara

Dara New Member

but have to be careful around my 3 and 6 year old grandchildren. Bad habit to break

Dara
  8. EZBRUZR

EZBRUZR New Member

Hello!

I would say I do swear more when I am at Max stress level.

I do attempt to contain it as the words do not empower me.

Kinda always wondered Why people swear. It usually offends someone,it accomplishes nothing,and it can start a fight quicker than end one.

If we compare swearing behavior to that of *truck drivers or sailors* ,do we percive swearing as free in spirit and following The *tough Guys*?

Peace,lisa
  9. duketomato

duketomato New Member

I swear and yell an awful lot. I feel it is because of the pain and no sleep.People were amazed though that when the doctor yelled at me (implying I was a junkie) and then hit me that I did not yell or hit him back.I yell at the dog an awful lot.It's really not his fault,it's just that he always stays around my feet when walking sometimes running in circles around them and with the non-co-operation of my legs and losing balance alot I don't want to step on him or fall. I am very frustrated by my condition and I let it out by yelling and swearing. Hopefully an upward swing in my health will come some day and I can get out of this grave situation.
  10. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

My father used to say "Jingles" a lot, and it was not until I was about 30 I put two and two together! So I tend to use his words. "Shoot" was the other. :) Fondly, June
  11. Dogtired

Dogtired New Member

I have to admit I do swear. But mostly when I am alone trying to repair something LOL.
    It helps me blow off steam. Also, I was raised never to swear so it feels a bit freeing to do it.
    But, it doesn't really help, as others have said. I think it is tacky, actually.
    I would like to stop, but with this DD, I am giving up so many things already it is kind of on the back burner!
    Oh yeah, since I am single, I try never to swear in front of potential dates (is that false advertising...?)
    Interesting poll, thanks.
    Hang in there Everyone,
    Kristi :)
  12. Mtnflower

Mtnflower New Member

I used to swear alot when I was working in a factory but since I retired my language has improved. I think we have a tendency to talk like the people we are around. Now you have to really upset me and make me very mad to hear any cuss words.It has nothing to do with my fibro.

Mtnflower
  13. MJJBunny

MJJBunny New Member

I didn't start swearing until a few years ago. I don't think it has anything to do with my DD, I just got to the point that I don't care anymore. My language is horrid now, although I know when to button it. My poor husband wonders what happened to his wife. Since I don't share information of my DD with anyone, I now share my new language.
  14. libra55

libra55 New Member

When I'm having a bad fibro day I can let loose with a string of 'em that would make a sailor blush. I call these my "fibro rants".

Afterwards I feel very guilty. I was not raised to swear, but when I'm in pain and someone pushes my buttons, things happen.

Michelle
  15. JannyW

JannyW New Member

... and as a Christian I definitely know better. But the stress sometimes gets the better of me and those awful words just pop out.

This is really an interesting thread ...

Jan ^v^
  16. Ellie5748

Ellie5748 New Member

Like a trooper !!

Regards,

Ellen
  17. Kim

Kim New Member

Since I was saved it just doesn't feel right. I get mad as anything though. I pray.

kim
  18. ranger

ranger New Member

I swear a lot more when I am in pain. Normally, I do not do it much, unless stressed, and then I don't realize I'm doing it. The kids will tell me, "Mom, quit swearing." It is a fact, when I was 25, my boss doctor at the time told me quote,"You always swear when you are in pain. Quit it!" When I catch myself now, I know there is a reason. He was right, I did and still do when I'm in pain. A reflex. Once medicated or relaxed, I am clean mouthed as can be.
  19. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

It’s a lot of fun reading ya’lls responses. I could just kick my rear end when I cuss, but last night I read someone else’s post and they mentioned cussing at the doctors office. Something many of us consider inappropriate. As a Christian I pray God will forgive me and always promise I’ll do better – I’m trying, I swear!

Ranger – I also feel like I cuss when I’m in pain and don’t when I’m not – frustrating
    Monicacat & InTuneJune – when my kids were little I enjoyed the creative swearing too – too bad I don’t have kids around anymore
    Libra55 – I am definitely into the “fibro rants” – especially if I spill something because my hands aren’t working right
    Packman – I like your logic
    Dogtired – good one – false advertising - ROFLMAO
    Duketomato – the Dr. HIT U???, I wanna know more…

To everyone, thanks for the reply’s, it’s always good to know that I’m not alone and others experience the same trials.
  20. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Yes, i do but only when I get really angry. I have to be careful not to do it around my two boys much. We have started a swear jar again. Whenever anyone says a bad word they have to put in a quarter. Whoever swears the least in a few weeks gets the jar of money. It does work pretty well I have to say. I only had to put in $10.00 this week. lol...just kidding.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/23/2003]