Poll-Time of day that feels better???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by VickyB, Feb 12, 2003.

1. VickyB

VickyB New Member

Mornings are the worst for me. I can hardly move until about 1pm to 3pm. I was wondering if anyone else does this and what time of day they start to feel better, if at all??
    Please let me know if anyone else does this??
    PS Of course, there are days that I never start feeling better.
    Vicky
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I feel best about the time most folks are going to bed. I love the hours between 11 Pm and 3 AM. Before I got sick, I used to take long outdoors walks in the middle of the night.
    My sleep study showed "severe delayed sleep-phase onset", which is just medical lingo for my being a night owl.
    Mornings are impossible. I literally cannot walk and chew gum. If I have to be up before 9 am, I trip over myself, I run into things, I drop things, I spill things, etc. because I am still asleep on my feet.
    Klutzo
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm the opposite.....I'm usually best between about 8am-3pm. However, I usually am awake & up by 5:30am (can't sleep any later) and early mornings are rough. I start to come alive around 8-ish. By about mid to late afternoon, I'm dragging again......

Good poll!

Hugs,
    pam
  4. LErdman

LErdman New Member

I cannot get going until late afternoon either.
  5. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

so I guess I'd say from 11-3 is my best time, depenidng on how the drugs are working & what the humidity is that day!
  6. philsr

philsr New Member

Definately hate mornings. Usually feel better somewhere early to mid afternoon. I can take an Ambien and sit up all night if a TV is on. Of course that doesn't help the next morning. But it is the same even if I go to sleep and get up like "normal" people do.
  7. starstella

starstella New Member

In the January 2002 issue of the Fibromyalgia Network newsletter, there is a diagram showing best and worst times for FM/CFS sufferers.

According to this diagram, 6a.m. (wake up time) is when FM/CFS feel the worst. This gradually improves and peaks at noon time, with the best period of functioning roughly between 10a.m and 4p.m. By 10 p.m, the pain/feeling bad levels are almost as low as the waking up levels, with a steady decrease during the sleep hours.
    This diagram contrasts with the "feeling best" times of "healthy people". Their best times are on awakening, dip a lttle at noon time, then rise again.

It is interesting to see this mapped out like this. The article suggests that FM/CFS sufferers utilize their best period of functioning timme to accomplish tasks, exercise, etc. I find that my own "feeling bad/feeling a little better" times correspond with the times in the diagram.

BTW, there is a membership fee to subscribe to the Fibromyalgia Network which I hated to pay, but I do look forward to their articles. There is usually some good information is each issue.
  8. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Mornings are definitely the WORSE... my brain doesn't seem to get up until 11:00 and thereafter..if I have pain it is usually the worse in the morning..and is relieved towards the end of the day...however, if I have done too much I can be very exhausted and in pain after that..but generally 11:00-5:00 are the best times during the day!!!
  9. tes

tes New Member

I agree with everyone. I suffer immensley with lower rib pain and mornings and early evening are the worst for me. I ususally feel better between 11:30am and 4:00pm. God Bless. Tes.
  10. pepper

pepper New Member

But they always were even before I got sick. I used to just be tired in the morning. Now I am stiff, sore and exhausted. No matter what time I get up, I am usually at my best between 1 and 3 p.m. Then I sometimes get a burst of energy in the late evening for an hour or so as long as I don't do too much.
    Pepper
  11. Mike

Mike New Member

My problem is CFS.

My Normal cycle:

8am-noon OK at about 80% of normal.
    noon-5pm Mostly tired.
    5pm-9pm OK back to 80% of normal.
    9pm-1am 100% normal and getting more alert as the evening wears on.

Mike
  12. kadywill

kadywill New Member

between noon and four p.m.....then, I start getting tired, but I can not sleep until around 2 a.m. I do the best sleeping from 3-9 a.m.
    My pain is worse is the morning unless I over-do things during the day and then I have severe muscle spasms and pain from that. The fatigue is progressive.
    No matter what, my good time and my husband's good time do not coincide in any way!!!
    Kady
  13. 1maqt

1maqt New Member

Worst time of day 6AM to 10AM
    Best time of day 12N to 4PM

~1maqt~
  14. dd

dd New Member

Before FM and CFS I was always the early bird. I could not stand to stay in bed past 8am. I was always in bed and asleep by 10pm...with no problems sleeping.

Now I cannot function in the mornings at all. I am tired, achy and stiff after waking up. I usually WAKE UP at around 6am but forget about getting out of bed before at least 11am. By 11am I am usually a little functional but my best time of day is after 4pm. I feel so much better at night time. It seems as if my energy increases and my mind works better at night. I was never this way pre FM/CFS. I usually go to bed around midnight but can't fall asleep until around 1am or so.

HUGS,

Debbie
  15. dlizard

dlizard New Member

best 8 am to about 2 pm..... worst: the rest of the time!
  16. nje

nje New Member

I WAKE UP AROUND 6AM,AM IN SEVERE PAIN,JUMP UP,TAKE MEDS ,JUMP BACK IN BED,TILL 10-11:00AM. I CAN`T BEGIN TO FUNCTION BEFORE AT LEAST 11:00--4. THATS ON A GOOD DAY, SOMEDAYS I MOVE FROM THE BED TO THE RECLINER. THIS STUFF IS A KILLER FOR ANY KIND OF SOCIAL LIFE,LIKE KADYWILL SAID,MY AND MY HUSBANDS IDEAS ON FUN THINGS TO DO DIFFER A LOT,OF COURSE HE`S HEALTHY AS A HORSE. BUT I`M ALSO A NIGHT OWL TOO,I GO TO BED AT 12 OR 1AM,DON`T GO TO SLEEP TILL ABOUT 3AM,THEN AS I SAID BEFORE,AWAKE BY 6,TO RUN,NOT WALK TO GET MY MEDS IN ME, BACK TO BED.SO BASICALLY, MY GOOD TIME IS 11-4PM,THEN I TAKE A NOSEDIVE, MOST DAYS, I`LL LAY DOWN FOR A NAP AROUND 4-4:30PM,GET UP AT 5:30-6PM,THEN I MAY SOME NIGHTS HAVE A GOOD PERIOD BETWEEN 8-12PM,THATS WHEN I GET ON THE COMPUTER LIKE I AM RIGHT NOW.BUT THOSE NIGHTS ARE NOT THAT OFTEN, LIKE LAST NIGHT I WAS IN THE BED AT 9:30PM AND DIDN`T WANT TO GET UP AT 10 THIS MORNING. BUT YOU KNOW, I DON`T HAVE MUCH QUALITY OF LIFE SINCE I GOT THIS MESS.I`M SURE YOU ALL DON`T EITHER. WELL AS USUAL I`M THE LONGEST,LOL NJE JEAN TO MY FELLOW SUFFERERS.GOD BLESS EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU.
  17. j9miller

j9miller New Member

I guess I would be at "my best" after 3PM. I do not get any sleep until after 5AM so it is quite the long day. I average no more than 3 hours of sleep and it isn't good sleep at that. Uugh!!

Janine
  18. mellow

mellow New Member

Usually mid to late afternoon and evening are my best times. Mellow
  19. lumediluna

lumediluna New Member

I too don't do well with the mornings. I have 2 kids and I have to get up for them and ready for school, but some days it is really hard. I often wonder if there is a way to train your body clock to be a morning person? I swear, the only thing that gets me out of bed are my sweet kids :)The mornings are sooo beautiful and refreshing, and sometimes I get bummed because I miss them - but overall, I would have to agree, mornings suck - I really feel good about...hmmmm.....1:00 pm
    [This Message was Edited on 02/12/2003]
  20. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I guess I'm another night owl. I never was a great one for early rising, but I don't remember hurting or feeling stiff when I woke up, except for occasional headaches, which ultimately turned out to be associated with TMJ dysfunction. Not until fibromyalgia, that is.

I think my late-night hours definitely have gotten worse since I was diagnosed with fibro. Part of the problem evolved out of my schedule. I didn't have the time I needed to work on composing or playing music (which I love doing) until after 10 or 11 p.m. But after my fibro problems started up, I also noticed I just felt better physically later in the day/evening/night. I think part of me dreads going to bed because I know I will have trouble sleeping and wake up hurting. So I find excuses for staying awake as long as I can when the pain is less intrusive.

I remember a presenter at a fibromyalgia class I took late last year saying that for most fibro patients, the best time of day is between 10 and 2. I'm sure he meant between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., but I couldn't help laughing at that. I think for me, the best time may be between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m.!

--Laura R.M.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/12/2003]