POLL: Tryptophan vs SSRI's... Has anybody made the change?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by spiritsky, Apr 3, 2006.

1. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I wanted know if anybody has successfully dropped SSRI's and moved onto using Tryptophan.

I've been curious to know why doctor's still prescribe SSRI's to boost seratonin levels when they can do it naturally with Tryptophan supplements. My own suspicions have to do with SSRI's being pushed by big PHARMA and no money in it for them to push little old Tryptophan. But is there any other reason, medical or otherwise that anybody knows of? Any thoughts?

[This Message was Edited on 04/03/2006]
  2. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

3. elliespad

elliespad Member

I have been using L-Tryptophan 1500 mg. at night for about 4 or 5 years. I had previously been on Doxepin 125 mg. and Flexeril 10 mg. I took several months tapering down to where I continue to use Doxepin 10 mg., along with my Tryptophan. I recently added Rest & Restore from the FFC which has improved my sleep even more. (GABA, Valerian, Skullcap, Passion Flower, Melatonin, L-Theanine)

When I run out of my Tryptophan, like now, I just take extra GABA, and Doxepin, maybe 40 -80 mg, until I get my order in, then just drop down to my regular 10 mg. And have no problem doing that at all. I always take my Tryptophan with B-6 (actually P5P, the activated form of B-6 as I am unable to convert B-6 to the usable form) so conversion takes place in the brain, and not the gut.

I have NO IDEA why someone would choose to use SSRI over Tryptophan. For some the decision may be due to insurance coverage. Many docs working with PPO or HMO may get scolded for prescribing natural supplements. Even my vet lets me use it on my dogs, when needed.

Over the years, I had briefly tried a few of the SSRIs and none of them agreed with me. Couldn't tolerate them for even couple nights.

I suspect another reason Dr.s are prescribing SSRI instead of the Tryptophan is the controversy surrounding the ban on Tryptophan in the late 80's. Many docs, and Pharmacists as well, are not aware that it was a contaminated batch, due to a change in manufacturing. Tryptophan is an ESSENTIAL Amino Acid and is included in Infant Formulas and Enteric Feeding.

4. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

Good to hear someone getting off SSRI's and on to something more natural.