POLL: Were you bottle fed or breast fed as a child?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by munch1958, Sep 28, 2007.

1. munch1958

munch1958 Member

This is something that I've wondered about for years. If you know can you please post if you were bottle or breast fed. Thanks!

My daughter was nursed until she was 2 and 1/4 years old. I simply didn't want her to develop my chronic health problems or her Dad's. She has no symptoms of CF, FM, endometriosis, ear infections, allergies or diabetes. Her dad was a brittle diabetic who died at age 36.

I was fed light Kayo syrup (corn!) and Carnation Evaporated Milk as a baby. My formula record was inside my baby book. I'm allergic to both corn and wheat. Not surprising that I had cradle cap and horrid eczema.

My husband is 16 years older than me. He was born before WWII when bottle feeding wasn't popular. Like my kid, he's as healthy as a horse even though he just turned 65. I think he got his immunity from his mother.
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Plausible theory, that CFS might have become more prevalent in recent years due to bottle feeding. (I think this is an old disease---previously diagnosed as neurasthenia and other stuff---but it's hard to diagnose previous prevalence.)

I had some breast feeding and some bottle feeding. People used to give kids regular food at pretty early ages in the early 1960's, apparently. I had orange juice when I was young...maybe a couplle of months old.

i don't know how old I was when I started with the corn.

I have milk, corn, citrus and a number of other food allergies.
  3. SweetT

SweetT New Member

I have many food sensitivities. I breastfed my youngest daughter until she was three. While she had a mild form of asthma when she was small, it did not stop her from being very active. She doesn't have the menstrual problems that I and my oldest daughter have. She does have my sensitive stomach and food sensitivities. She recently became a vegetarian of her own free will. While she was nursed, she had no health problems whatsoever.
  4. confetti11

confetti11 New Member

I have always wondered about this too...not being provided with what our immune system needed for development. ???
  5. tansy

tansy New Member

and only the youngest of my siblings was bottle fed and he's doing fine.

However, I think breast feeding is the best insurance for future health. Breast fed babies are said to have better gut flora.

My father was very delicate and not expected to survive; until he was two the only food he could keep down was condensed milk; he can only tolerate small amounts of dairy these days.

TC, Tansy
  6. sunscaper

sunscaper New Member

I was born with Cradle Cap, and was bottle fed, entirely.

At that time, my mother indicated bottle feeding was recommended..I think that it did have something to do with immune functioning, as I had MONO at age 2, with fevers, that my mother indicated sent me into a delerious state. My childhood diseases were much worse than my brother.

I, also, have developed Eczema, after the diagnosis of CFIDS.

7. SuzanR

SuzanR New Member

Told I was allergic to formula/milk, so had soy formula.
  8. cfsteen

cfsteen New Member

My daughter was breast fed until the age of 1. At 14, she contacted CFS. I always wondered, since I had Familial Mediterranean Fever as a child, if I passed on something to give her CFS. She also suffers from eczema.
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 09/29/2007</i>]
  9. elliespad

elliespad Member

Karo syrup and carnation milk too!!! And I developed HORRIBLE eczema in the last 10 years or so. I don't think it has anything to do with CFS but it is still garbage to feed a baby.
  10. Ginner

Ginner New Member

All 4 of us kids were.

I am the only one that developed a sensitivity or allergy to things but at a late age, around 50 then.

My 3 sons were breast fed. They all had seemed to be on antibiotics for infections as kids. They now have allergies as they have reached their 30's.

<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 09/28/2007</i>]
  11. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

I was bottle fed as were my 4 sisters and 1 brother. Karo and Carnation formula. One older sister had severe asthma and was treated with allergy injections until she was 21 yrs. old. She hasn't had asthma in all her adult lifetime and she's 64 yrs. old now. I'm the only one who has a chronic illness.(FMS) I'm 6l yrs., been ill almost l2 yrs. I don't know that I have any food allergies, but I do have very sensitive skin. I get Ezema on my hands from antibacterial soap, dish detergent, or any other antibacterial product. Also,get fungal infections on my skin at times. Rashes all over my medical charts! They thought I had Lupas for a time, but my ANA has never been positive. So, I have Fibromyalgia Syndrome for certain. What is uncertain is WHY I have it. doloresf1
  12. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

I was breast fed, and I do have allergies. Both my kids were bottle fed and they have NO allergies and are both very healthy grown-ups.

I never heard of feeding babies corn syrup and carnation milk. Mine had a baby fomula (can't remember the name of it after all these years.)
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 09/28/2007</i>]
  13. kking0412

kking0412 New Member

mom tried nursing but had problems with it. I can relate, I could NOT seem to manage breast feeding my daughter (firstborn) but was able to with my son.
    note: the ear infection data bears up with this, Kim had ear infection after ear infection. Max has not had a one and he is almost 18.
  14. desertlass

desertlass New Member

She is 42 and is doing great-- just got her black belt in karate-- I kid you not.

As for me, well, here I am.

She was very colicky and couldn't tolerate the formula, and out of desperation my mom gave her straight cow's milk until she could eat solids.

I have no idea what she did with me. I imagine I was on whatever formula was popular in the late sixties.

I don't think that there is a direct correlation, but it was probably one of the "missing links" in forming a strong chain of health for me. Of course I would never tell my mom that-- she has enough mother guilt as it is.

Boy that Karo/Carnation eczema thing sure seems like a direct thing, however. Karo? What on earth for?

I breast fed my two for as long as they wanted which turned out to be only nine months for the older and twenty-three months for the younger. :) I keep praying that even if they inherit something from me that the breastmilk will at least have given them some sort of advantage.

15. Juloo

Juloo Member

I was breastfed until 6 months. My mom was told that she was really behind the times when she did so, but she didn't care.

I had a lot of URIs when I was little, so I don't know how much it helped.

My son was bf until he self-weaned at 34 months. He also has had lots of URIs over the years -- and problems with his ears. At 11, he seems to be finally pulling out of it, but still has problems with allergies.
  16. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I was born in 1957 and bottle feeding is what they pushed back then. I too was fed carnation canned milk with a little corn syrup added. The corn syrup was so the baby didn`t get constipated. I don`t know if they even had formula back then.
  17. skikat

skikat New Member

i was breast fed. wish i had put that in my post that i just did on mothers stress.
    hugs all-ski-
  18. rachel76

rachel76 New Member

breast fed for a v.short time then bottle fed with formula.
    I have allergies.
    In my case everyone else in my family who was bottle fed is healthier than me.
  19. blkkat

blkkat New Member

bottle here, i have severe fm,cfs,ibs, back pain , neuropathy.

but my son has severe fm, cfs and was breast fed.

my daughter was bottle fed and has cfs.

i was adopted but i found out from my birth mom who has fm, cfs, ibs, severe back pain, hip pain ,bad vertigo,
    that her aunt had fm so bad that bed sheets even hurt to have on her skin.

20. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Both my brother and I have allergies. I was bottlefed by canation evaporated milk. It probably had lead in it, too, from the can.

i breastfed my second child 13 months, but she has the most allergies, probably due to ABX for ear infections when she was young. That would do it, too.

Just for the record,