POLL 'What kind of Exercise is best for you?'

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pixipip, Aug 25, 2003.

1. pixipip

pixipip New Member

before I had my youngest 'now turning 6' I used find Callanetics twice a week was best, But since having him I can't seem to tolerate anything, What works for you?
  2. lovenmyliltoad

lovenmyliltoad New Member

I walk and was working on yoga, but I think I'm gonna take a step back and just stretch for now. The walking (when I can) seems to help.
  3. Hinemoa

Hinemoa New Member

a pool, with a certified instructor but I am allergic to the chlorine. I have recently started working out on a treadmill. I started VERY slowly, at 2mins and I'm now up to 3 and a half mins.

It seemed silly to buy shoes specially for that purpose when I walked for such a short time, but my family insisted and it IS easier now...and who knows?...maybe I'll make it to my optimum of 30 mins.

Peace,

Sandra

4. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hi. Plain old walking is the best for me. I walk in a nerby park. I avoid the hills and just find areas that are flat. I have tried step aerobics but find that it flares me up. Go figure, LOL. Hugs, Chelz.
  5. pixipip

pixipip New Member

Thanks for taking part.
    Whats Hydraulic Resistance?

Love & Light,
    Jacqui.
  6. Myth

Myth New Member

Just walking for me. I tried light stretching but my body cannot handle that right now. I also work so that limits what I can handle on most days. Someone told me to try water arobics, because the water helps and the instructors let you just leave when you feel you have had enough- so you could start real slow. When I start feeling a bit better I am going to start stretching, move up to yoga and then add in the water arobics.
    Myth
  7. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Before I injurd my knees I used to exercise 3 times a week for 15 minutes, to Richard Simmons. Now I can only lift free weights (up to 2 pounds) for 3-5 minutes every other day, and simple leg lifts (2 reps of 5) for about the same time, daily. I cannot walk more than about 60 feet or I would walk a little . Oh, yes, before I got bad I used to do ChiGung, and I really loved it. I can no longer do it, though.
    They say that even a little helps, so keep on keeping on.
    Terry
  8. Danett

Danett New Member

I started very slow. 5 minutes for one day. 10 minutes for 2 days. 15 min. for 3 days. 20 minutes for 4 days. etc.

I'm up to 25 minutes and will start adjusting the tension next. One step at a time.

I really don't think it has helped though.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I learned these exercises in physical therapy. I also do Yoga, the big ball, and some Pilates. All these are gentle. I also swim laps and work out in the pool. I can run in place in the pool and that helps me get some aerobic exercise.

Love, Mikie
  10. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

A year ago my doc ordered me to a powerchair; I went to the PT to be certified that my upper body was ker-plunk; well, I did not feel as ker-plunk as they were saying.....but was I wrong!!

Last month my customized powerchair, a Bruno Mini (no plug-I actually like the Quickie Power 200 back-wheel chair an ALS decedant gave me)...anyway my doc said he had had it with me and I best get in that chair. No mop, sweep and no bending over!

He had a full hospital bed delivered with a spinal mattress. I thought the spinal mattress a joke at first but when I found I could not even lift a corner up sufficiently to put a sheet on it....well, at first I hated it; I don't anymore.

The only exercise the doc blesses are isotonic and range of motion. I am still certified to drive (thank heavens) but I drive a very heavy chevy van w/a factory lift, again thanks to the ALS gent. who did not survive long.

I need to practice the piano before I forget...being off Pred. has accelerated the arthritic changes but I can still jam and play some jazz )my love) and the classics.

I can sing again but not in my commercial voice; I am once again a soprano, my natural voice.

The last two may not sound like exercises but they really are to those of us with FMS/MPS. Any collagen can be affected and my vocal chords were the first to show physical signs something was wrong.

Mikie....you sound like you are going strong!! CactusLil'
  11. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Pool, laps and water aerobics class.
    Pilates
    Yoga
    Physioball

June
  12. jkd7058

jkd7058 New Member

the only thing I've been able to tolorate has been a gentle workout in my parent's pool. I tried doing it in the local public pool which is MUCH closer, but the water is too cold. My parents have a heater and when they know I'm coming will turn it up to about 90 degrees for me. (God bless them!) I use a ski belt to help keep me boyant and just swim real slowly and stretching. Yesterday I tried doing more aerobic work out and I think I'm paying for it a little today. I'll keep pushing - but slowly.

I used to be able to swim laps forever - no ski belt either so it's hard not being able to do that now. But at least I'm doing something.
  13. fullarmor

fullarmor New Member

I find walking helps me a lot. Also stretching and doing simple isometric muscle exercises with little weights (1 or 2 pounds) keeps me feeling strong. I also really enjoy dancing. I take a belly dance class and it's been so wonderful for my body, and my self esteem too!
    Nay
  14. Takesha

Takesha New Member

Plumping my pillow and actually being able to go back sleep.
    Actually, my fatigue is so bad right now, and pain from fms and joint disease leaves little for any formal type of excerise. I am hoping for better days.
    Takesha