POLL: What month was it when you got FIbro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klutzo, Jul 26, 2003.

1. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I just read in the Fibromyalgia Network News that a study has shown a huge peak in onset of Fibro in the month of January, with far more cases starting in the winter months in general. Their conclusion is that this follows the pattern of viruses, and suggests a viral source for Fibro.

It is certainly true in my case. I woke up with Fibro on the morning of January 5, 1986, and have been ill ever since.

Obviously, those of you who did not have a sudden onset will not be able to respond to this poll, but I'd like to hear from the rest of you.

Thanks,
    klutzo
  2. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Hi,
    though I had minor symptoms that would always go away after a few days, and then I starting taking Neurontion which helped me to feel fine.So I think in my case it was laying dorment.
    But it became full fledged in Sept. after an un-named virus made me sick for 8 weeks.
    So there's the virus thing. Sure there were other factors at the time of onset, low immunity due to stress, physical exhaustion, etc. but I never got better after that virus.
    Ziggy
    [This Message was Edited on 07/26/2003]
  3. spmary

spmary New Member

I got sick one night,vomiting and very high fever. Went to doctor two days later. Dxed pneumonia. Just couldn't feel better. Had all sorts of aches and pains, saw doctor almost every week. Had every test this hospital gives. No results. When I kept pessetering the doc. he said "cfs"
    I don't think he even knew what that was. Just pulled it out of the hat. When I asked what to do about it, he said Nothing, just rest, rest, rest...Nothing would help, no use to take vitamins. He's also the quack that told me it was "just arthritis" when I broke my back. I changed Doctors and have a very understanding one who admits he doesn't know much about it, but knows it is a desease, and is trying to learn. He prescripes Ambien, ultram, and things for other problems I have. Treats symptons. I send him arctiles, etc. Of course at my age I have several problems, which he addresses. I mostly use alternative things when I hear about them. Ole,Magnesium,b complex,E and C vitamins..I'm not as sick as most people on this board. Good thing as I get no support from friends and family. I'm tired of this. Want to do things with grandchildren etc. I will someday..
  4. SjVa

SjVa New Member

I woke up one morning in mid-July and felt like someone had beaten me up! At first I thought I had some sort of mid-summer flu...then realized that it was just pain, no illness. As I think back on it, I don't recall any problems in my life at that time, no excess stress, no unusual illnesses...I was in good shape. I did have polio as a child, and wonder about post-polio syndrome, but I can't even find a doctor who knows about fibro in this little town, or even anywhere around this area, much less post-polio syndrome!

Sandy J.
  5. Miles

Miles New Member

Mine started in July l995 just not feeling real well. As the time went on I developed a cold, was starting on my 3th bout of antibiotics ended up walking out of my job at the Nursing home (I worked in the kitchen which was very, very hot that summer)in August. I was so weak, off-balance, very sick. Actually ended up at the emergency. They did all kinds of blood work, brain scan nothing showed up. So they sent me home. It took along time before I could even just focus on walking without crawling. After another appt. the Dr. said I had Fibro gave me antidep. & put me in therapy to get my balance back. So I am still in pain but go get a Massage every week. If I do to much around the house my neck, shoulders get to stiff & tighten up it makes my balance not as good. I do not work outside the house. Between my Burning mouth, acid reflux, burning Vulva, TMJ, pain & throbbing in my neck, shoulders, back, hips, feet, I sure wish something would go away I turn 50 on Monday. I guess we all have to just hang in. Take care Deb
  6. EZBRUZR

EZBRUZR New Member

That is me too. Odd,however,hard look back -I see 6 years in row where"SYMPTOMS" controlled quality of life during winter, onset always past New Year b4 Vtines.Feb.02 is when "IT" setteled in permenant residentcy. I awoke to the popular stabbing clavical pain Feb 13 2002-I'll tell ya when "IT" leaves. kool :)? Peace Ez
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I still think we are genetically predisposed to our illnesses, but I also believe viral attacks can certainly trigger them. In my case, I got sick Dec. 24, 1990 and was crippled from the mycoplasma infection for months into 1991. It has less to do with the time of year for me than the fact that I lived next to a military installation where the soldiers were being vaccinated prior to going to the Gulf War. Also, the mycoplasmas are bacteria and not viruses although they do have some characteristics of viruses due to biological engineering. The vaccines may have been contaminated with germ warfare material which was developed by our own Dept. of Defense. These strains of mycoplasmas do not occur in nature according to Dr. Nicolson. They are one and the same which caused Gulf War Illness.

When I lived in CO, I was always sick from Jan. through Mar. That's also when Denver has some of its worst pollution. Mix that with the cold, thin, dry air, and you have a bad situation. You are already run down in that environment and are a sitting duck for viral and bacterial infections of opportunity.

Love, Mikie

Love, Mikie
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

Late Oct. to Nov.....because I remember thinking,"I hope i'm better before Thanksgiving". I obviously did'nt get better..........But still enjoyed my turkey dinner i'm sure~
  9. JQP

JQP New Member

1994 - I found I couldn't wake up in the mornings and put it down to the fact that my son had finished school, and me my college course and I was just 'catching up the lost sleep'.
    When I started to lose my ability to talk properly, walk in a straight line, and go grey and look like I was about to pass out, I started the rounds of looking for answers.

Trouble was docs knew my previous stress levels, tiredness etc and didn't do a lot. But eventually one suggested it was post viral fatigue.

Eventually diagnosed October 1996 and then again in January 1998 (opposite ends of the country).

However, recent view of doctors report to DWP says diagnosed '1970?' Now there's a real question to be asked.

Jacqui
  10. 2girls

2girls New Member

Not really sure - either April or September. In April/01 I woke up with wicked lower back pain - chalked it up to too much snow shovelling. Turned out I had a herniated disc and spent the summer in physiotherapy. During this time, I started having tingling feelings in my upper back. Sept/01 I came down with labrynthitis and have not recovered.

One thing I know for sure is that season changes, especially spring & fall, are my worst times. Flares usually last 1 to 2 months.

2girls
  11. rutters

rutters New Member

I started having symptoms october 1999 , but it didn't hit me hard untill May of 2000. When it hit, it hit hard. I have been sick ever since.
    thanks rutters
  12. Kim

Kim New Member

and the latest setback was January, also.
  13. tansy

tansy New Member

first signs but that followed two lots of questionable surgery.

Then 2 years later FM and CFS kicked in big time, early summer again.

Cheers

Tansy
  14. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Even though mine didn't go full blown until I had a neck injury in Oct 99, I know I had symptoms off/on ever since Jan/Feb 1989 when I had a bad virus that lasted weeks and seemed to return off/on over the years with achy muscles, weakness, dizzy and fatigue. I agree with Mikie though that if we are predisposed a virus or injury can trigger it...some of us just take longer to get the worst of it.
    Blessings
    Shaky
  15. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

Dec. 19 1993
  16. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

January 2nd 2000.

Had a house fire, that was very traumatic, lived temporarily in a apartment while our home was being rebuilt. The fire was in Novemeber of 1999. It was three flights up the apartment, wasn't used to that. Cold winter. Hectic holidays. Depression. Got a flu like whatever, and it hasn't went away since.

17. Esoteric

Esoteric New Member

December 31st at 11:00 pm I experienced my first symptom of an extremely sore hip. By 6:00 am (7 hours later) on January 1st, I could barely walk; I was in such horrible pain.

Esoteric
  18. little

little Member

I had my gall bladder out in July an then six weeks later I got Hepititis. Then one morning in October/November I woke up and couldn't move. I hurt all over and my joints were stiff. My hands were swollen and stiff. It took about three hours before I could move. I was dx in 98 with fibro. Gail
  19. tulip922s

tulip922s New Member

May the first time

August this last time,,,,can actually give exact date, had sudden onset

Tulip
  20. kimkane

kimkane New Member

igot fibro in oct of 99 after female surgery, it started with a pain in my middle back, that is where i broke it 6 years ago, dr said it was because i wascarrying myself different because of surgery and it will go away soon, it never lefti have gotten worse aand worse. i filed for ss, and am going to the state dr on this tuesday
    take care kim