POLL: What year did your symptoms appear ??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dojomo, Feb 10, 2003.

1. dojomo

dojomo New Member

I'm interested to see if there is a certain time frame or particularily BAD year for us......for me it started in (1985). I did get better and relapsed with no return to normal in 1990. (It does coincide with recieving my Hepatitis B vaccinations) Thanks for your input....DJ
  2. Spritzer

Spritzer New Member

Hi! I don`t know any offical info about this..but i fell ill in 1990 and am still severs.I have heard that there was a peak in the late 80`s early 90`s.
    Also regional clusters
    and seasonal variations cos of the way viruses behave.Thats all iknow and you`ve probably heard this stuff before...I wonder if anyone has a map of chronic illness hot spots??
  3. Spritzer

Spritzer New Member

..and a time machine to avoid them
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

1999, tho I had early symptoms starting about 1997. For me, I do not believe this goes all the way back to childhood years.....

Hugs,
    Pam

5. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

The symptoms I still deal with today began in 1989, but I got really ill in 1994. That's the short answer.
    Madelyn
  6. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

January 1st to be exact.
  7. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Hi dojo:
    My bad year and year of diagnosis was l996.
    sue
  8. nogilroy

nogilroy New Member

for me it was 1994 when it came down hard on me i thought i had food poisoning .i have been tired be for but that got worse . it was 2 years before i was told i had fm
  9. Newswoman

Newswoman New Member

I never felt the same after a bout with mono in 1999, but I've always been fatigued since I was in my early teens. I also have horrbile growing pains, painful periods, chronic sinus infections, etc. I was diagnosed with FM last year.
  10. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

But new Dr says it might go back quite a ways because of various other things I told him.

(Hi, Lisa!!!)

Pam
  11. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

in 1999 when I found my mother dead on my lunch hour and I had to break into the house to get to her. It was a nightmare.
    Carlacat
  12. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

1997...Give or take a little.

Susan B
    [This Message was Edited on 02/11/2003]
  13. mastersinger

mastersinger New Member

Everything started in the year of 1974 for me. I had gotten my first flu shot in the Fall of 1973 and perhaps -Hepatitis? I was under a lot of stress teaching for my first year-and al my students falling down with the flu-I got it by Valentine's day week-end and never went back for the rest of that year or the next. I ached like I had never ached before in my life-it was like I had fought the flu off with all I had, and then KA-WHAM!! Lots more to the story,but anyway, that was my time frame.
  14. mastersinger

mastersinger New Member

Everything started in the year of 1974 for me. I had gotten my first flu shot in the Fall of 1973 and perhaps -Hepatitis? I was under a lot of stress teaching for my first year-and al my students falling down with the flu-I got it by Valentine's day week-end and never went back for the rest of that year or the next. I ached like I had never ached before in my life-it was like I had fought the flu off with all I had, and then KA-WHAM!! Lots more to the story,but anyway, that was my time frame.
  15. mastersinger

mastersinger New Member

16. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

That's a hard one to pin down. I would say around.................1989
  17. MarieHerman

MarieHerman New Member

I'm with Newswoman. I believe I've had symptoms since my early teens; continuous sinusitis, painful periods, fatigue, etc. We just never knew what it was at that time. When it fully came on I had just finished taking Tamoxifen for breast cancer.
  18. kadywill

kadywill New Member

in the winter of 1973......the symptoms were different than now, I had less pain and more fatigue and had a lot of immune problems and I was pregnant with my first child at the age of 17...the pain started getting bad in 1986. I tested positive to mono during that time, but I had no usual symptoms of it other than fatigue. I was working in a doctor's office (and going to college full-time) and I tested myself often after that. I kept a positive mono spot after that and I still do. I had tested positively for recent Epstein Barr exposure and just felt weak and tired during those years, but I was a young mother with four children, each a year apart. Who wouldn't have been fatigued?? I was running and running all the time and I hadn't yet learned to pace myself in any way. Pain was new to me and I also had the other problem of having yearlong flares of angioedema/urticaria with frequent anaphylaxis, which is so dangerous. The pain and fatigue were just put on the back burner and life went on. I dealt with one problem at a time. It has just been in the past year that I actually demanded a name for this pain and fatigue and I didn't like the one the doc gave me. I said to him that no one believed in Fibro and CFS and that I knew it had to be more than that. He said that I may have Lupus, just as the Duke docs thought, but that I had FMS, too!! Made sense after I found this site and began research, but I still hesitate to tell people that I have it. I have this fear of being thought of as a malingerer, a seeker, a druggy, a hypochondriac, a complainer, a lazy no-good person!!!! I push myself strongly until I drop trying to prove that I am NOT these things!! I hate it, but I continue to do this even though my condition has been validated. I went to Physical Therapy today and even the PT said that FMS was a catch-all for chronic complainers. THIS is why I choose to say that I have Lupus; people believe in that. Who really knows what we have???? I just know we hurt and have symptoms that are just too peculiar to have been fabricated!!
    Love,
    Kady
  19. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I went to bed with a "cold" on January 5, 1986 and never felt normal again. But, I had a car accident a few months before this in which my neck and head were injured and I was left for dead by Paramedics.
    However, I can see abnormalities in my autonomic nervous system all the way back to stories I heard about my behavior as a baby. At puberty I started accumulating the concommittant conditions, at the rate of about one every 2 yrs.
    The dx of FMS in 1986 at age 34 just meant that "it" had finally stopped me from functioning normally in life, IMO.
    Klutzo
  20. VickyB

VickyB New Member

All my symptoms started in 1995 when I had the Shingles outbreak and gave the chicken pox to my kids. I have gone from bad to worse and nothing seems to help.
    Some days I feel a little better but then the next day (no matter how easy or hard I spend my good day) the DD comes back full force.
    Vicky