POLL: Which antivirals are most effective?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Plantscaper, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Hi Klutzo or anyone ...

I had heard that Cell Forte (Inositol) may be a viable substitute for Immunovir..This product contains inositol and IP-6 (inositol hexaphosphate).. Do you know whether it is effective? Suppose to enhance natural killer cell activity..or have any comment on it..

ACTUALLY, I AM SEEKING ANY ANTIVIRAL, WHICH HAS BEEN EFFECTIVE IN COMBATING THESE ddS..I have tested positive for Cytomegalovirus and Epstein-Barr..have not been tested for any of the others..Usually get very feverish when trying to do much work...

Plantscaper
    [This Message was Edited on 06/26/2003]
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

With antivirals is Famvir which I had to take for ten days at 250 mgs twice a day when I had facial surgery. I Herxed big time three days in and then went into a complete remission of all symptoms. When I stopped taking the Famvir, the symptoms slowly returned.

My doc has put me on half that dose for a week and I Herxed five days in but have not felt well. It's like I'm kinda Herxing all the time. I've asked him to Rx 250 mgs twice a day for a month. Haven't heard from his office so I expect he called in the Rx. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Love, Mikie
  3. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I have noticed that you indicated that Famvir is very effective for you...I talked to my doc's nurse, today, about it and we are in the territory of no knowledge of these DDs on their part..I soon will have to go to new doc, anyways, as my doc is retiring for a bit..

To get Famvir, do you usually have to be diagnosed with one of the Herpes Viral Diseases? (I know you had it as a result of operation) I know I have CMV and EBV, but don't know about HHV-6...I think I will be seeing an INTERNAL MEDICIINE doc, and don't know if he is one that requires testing, or not...

I certainly would like to try it...since many of the other antivirals have not seemingly been viable...

Is your herxing similar to herxing on the ABX?
    I need to find more knowlegable docs, as it is like pulling teeth to get some action taken..

When you stated you had complete remission, you stated that it was like you had never been sick..with NO FATIGUE AND COGNITIVE PROBLEMS?!!! Did you also, sleep well? Fatigue and the cognitive problems have been the most stubborn symptoms and were not resolved with OLE, whereas the migraines, allergies/sinus symptoms were greatly ameliorated..

Plantscaper

[This Message was Edited on 06/26/2003]
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

First, I have taken Inositol for years without any resolution of my FMS. It is still an important part of B complex and good to take anyway. I took IP-6 for a couple of months with no result.

I have a question. When you say you have both CMV and EBV, do you mean you have ACTIVE infection, or that your blood shows you have been exposed in the past? There is a huge difference between the two, which you probably already know, but I am curious. 85% of people in the U.S. have been exposed to EBV and will test positive for PAST exposure. I test positive for past exposure to both EBV and CMV, but have been assured they cannot be causing my problem now, as there is no current activation.

Klutzo
  5. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I had a bad case of mono in college and had active case, then, of course, but not now..Then I was tested for CMV, when I went to a doc in l989, and he indicated that I had an ACTIVE CASE, at the time..

HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED IN A LONG TIME,
    for any of the herpes viruses.. But, I get really feverish when I overextend much at all, or don't sleep well..What do you think explains that?

Plantscaper
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

In other words, they are active, but thriving below the innume system's radar system. Blood tests will not reveal them. They may only be in an active state half the time with the viral load changing over time.

Go to the library here and do a search on HHV-6. I found a bunch of articles. There are some tests which can identify active infections, but this is not necessarily the most helpful info unless the doc is going to try to tailor a treatment just to that strain of Herpes virus.

A high number of people with our illnesses have HHV-6 infections compared with the "healthy" population. My insurance does not require testing for prescriptions. As you know, we found my problem by accident, but I do believe in trying things empirically. EBV and CMV can also be problems for us.

Yes, the Herx is just like what you experience with the ABX. The Famvir is used for all strains of Herpes-family viruses, so it seems like the thing to use. It's newer and is supposed to have fewer side effects than the older antivirals.

Love, Mikie
  7. crackerB

crackerB New Member

Hiya kids, hiya, hiya,

I have had HSV1 and HSV2 for over 20 years. My HSV2 is a very virulent strain. Some years I would have breakouts on a weekly average. Got a new doc that immediately put me on 400mg of acyclovir three times aday. No side effects and the breakouts have ceased. By the way, a lot of my breakouts coincided with drops in the ambient barometric pressure and rain and clouds. Since then I have dropped back to 200 twice a day and am still breakout free and feel much better. All my GI symptoms disappeared. jd
  8. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Hi Mikie,

Who are the major researchers in this theory? (Is John Martin one of the major guys?) and does your doc acknowledge the stealth factor of viruses/bacteria?

I would like to do a lot more reading in this area..to your thinking, does this account for the fact that we are so hard to treat and is the key to finding a cure?

Plantscaper
  9. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Bump for more info
  10. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Hi Plantscaper,

I started Valtrex in late April. It's too soon for me to know whether it's really working for me. However, I have herxed twice (just getting over the second) so I figure it's doing something. And I actually had a good day a couple weeks ago. While I can't for sure attribute it to the Valtrex, it is kinda significant since I haven't had a good day for quite awhile.

If you want to find out a little more about the various antivirals, you can go to the web page of the Institute for Viral Pathogenesis. Their link to "Antiviral Treatments" compares Zovirax, Valtrex, Ganciclovir and others. The article is specifically about treating HHV-6, which I haven't been tested for, but I did have EBV and CMV (don't know if active or inactive, I know I was way outside normal for both, though). And like I said, since I've herxed twice the Valtrex is obviously working on something....
  11. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

BUMPETY BUMP...