POLL....who all thinks they need disability income

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Apr 23, 2006.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

Was wondering who out there is still working and in so much pain they can't hardly perform their job. Are there others who know they really need to be on disability income and just keep on working b/c they don't want to mess with the hastle of fighting it, so you keep working, or do some of you think you are too "young" to do this. This is how I feel.

I am 28, and struggle with pain and still working to try to make ends meat, but just can't hardly do it. I am lying to myself, pushing my body to do things that it just can't really handle. I hear so much about what a fuss they make out of trying to get disability.

I hate to even try to tackle it. I am also afraid that I am not gonna be able to live on disability. Do I just keep going or do I need to try to slow down? I know that there has to be others that feel this way. Please let me know your thoughts!!

Kriket
  2. lease79

lease79 New Member

I struggled to do what I could for years & then I literally collapsed.
    I now am not capable of working at all, not even an hour.
    I find it hard to walk some days, I can only walk extremely short distances & then I need to rest.
    I am on Disability thankfully, because I would be stuffed without it.
  3. painandagony

painandagony New Member

I just fell apart and could not work one more day. It sucked having to go on disability and being on welfare for a year until the disability started. However, i'm glad i did it. It's tough to live on such meager funds, but for me it was impossible to keep working. If I were you, i would slow down and quit work. It is a big relief.

good luck.
  4. srh

srh New Member

Better go for it now.

I am still working, can hardly function some days and am wondering how long I can keep going.

We have our acreage now, and it would be really hard to lose it after all the blood, sweat, and tears we've put into it.

So I keep going. Do it now before you can't.
  5. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Not embarrassed about being on it SSD I paid into it.And Medicare is not free you pay for it.I fought hard for it had to go before the judge.

I am not on welfare My DH works thank goodness.Still would not bother me if I had to go on it.I put plenty into the system.

Sue
  6. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I had to quit work in Dec. of 2004 and applied for disability finally in Nov. of 2005. Just got my denial letter this weekend. I now have 60 days to appeal but don't know what to do. I do feel some better since starting on Methotrexate but still have days I can barely function. I am now debating whether to appeal or try to find another job.
    It is really disgusting to work all our lives and then have to fight to get the money we have paid in just to live on. I find nothing wrong with living on welfare if you are sick and need it. I wouldn't have any trouble applying for it but my husband is still working so we wouldn't qualify.
    Stinker
  7. sunshine54

sunshine54 New Member

I applied for ssd in April of 2005. My Christmas present was my first denial. My birthday (3/8) was my 2nd denial and that was with an attorney.

Now my attorney appealed on 3/16 for a hearing. Since my 2nd denial, my NS has declared me 100% disabled due to spinal instablity and facet arthopathy. He also gave me an RX for a walker with wheels, handbrakes and a seat to sit in when I get tired and filled out the form and I received a permanent handicapped license plate.

I know ssd did inquire to my NS and he sent them a letter telling them I was 100% disabled. I went to my local SSD and gave them a copy of the RX for walker and copy of the form for license plate.

Now, I sit and wait for hearing. My attorney told me it could take 4-6 months. They also moved my file from Little Rock (capitol of Arkansas) to Ft. Smith. Why I don't know.

You don't get paid for the first 5 or 6 mths and you must not have worked those months.

I would appeal, but with an attorney. I believe the max they can get is 25% or $5,300 whichever is greater;however the judge determines how much to Attorney gets.

Hope this helps.

Hugs To Ya!
    Claudia
  8. jakeg

jakeg New Member

I did that for almost 6 months. If I could do it over I would have stopped sooner. Then maybe I may not have eneded up where I'm at today, constant pain all the time.

Very seldom do I reach the reliev of a 5 or 6 on the pain scale, I normally hover around a 9 and with it getting closer to summer I know the severe fatigue will start setting in again to go along with all of the pain.

I will be applying for SSDI this month to help out with the bills and also so I don't lose my LTD benniffits that I waited for, for so long(well over 6 months) it was 1 of the battles that has been one.

The next one is going to be with SSDI.

Jake
  9. Jordane

Jordane New Member

I gave up working last year. Fought the pain for 20 some years!!!
    Cannot fight anymore!!

Just filed last wk for Dissability. We(hubby&I) are expecting to fight for it. It means no money coming from me, but my body just cannot do anymore.
    I pushed and pushed myself last year,till I had a breakdown. The stress of trying to do my job,and fighting the pain and nausea,took me down.

Be kind to yourself,dont push it too hard,you will pay in the end.

Jordane
  10. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

Please continue on with appealing your disability. You already have 11 months of not working applied towards getting your disability. If you stop the appeal process and go back to work and find you can't hack it, then you have to start all over again with all of the paperwork and playing the waiting game. If you appeal, that puts you 6 months closer to getting disability.

My lawyer made sure I was good and ready to apply for disability, because if I even worked one day, we would have to start the process all over again.

At anytime you find you can go back to work you can notify SSI and they'll stop the process. It's a whole new ball game to start over. If you are awarded SSI and you want to see if you can handle work, you can do a few hours as a trial before you actually stop it.

Also SSI is not figured on your husband's income but on how long you worked and how much money you put into the system. My husband works and makes a fairly good incoome and I receive the full amount of SSI I am entitled to. Really think this over before you make your decision. LuAnn
    [This Message was Edited on 04/24/2006]
  11. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

something was wrong but didnt know what. I had to leave work in Oct. of that yr. My husband works but only makes a middle class salary with no benifits.

I was blessed in that I qualified for pension disability with my job and got to keep our insurance. My ssdi claim is still going through the channels. Its going to the Admin. Judge now. I have an Advocate working for me from my company that I worked for. She is wonderful and very helpful.

There is no way that I could go back to work unless they come up with a cure. The 1st yr at home, I thought I would go crazy, but I didnt and I found all of you

Suzette
  12. kriket

kriket New Member

For your thoughts. I am gonna work as long as I possibly can. Sooner or later though, I feel like I am going to have to do something. Guess I will cross that bridge when I get there. Thanks and lots of hugs to you all.

Kriket
  13. sop28

sop28 New Member

Take care of yourself and be careful that you don't overdue it.

I am 28 also, dx with FM 5 years ago. Always fatigued but kept pushing. 2years ago I collapsed with exhaustion. I got somewhat better and then I started to get really bad in Oct 05.

One sickness after another, just kept pushing, working 40+hrs per wk as an RN in a hospital. In the beginning of february I collapsed again only this time I didn't get better and lost my position at work.

Be proactive not reactive if you can.
  14. starmom

starmom New Member

I have been a SAHM for a number of years. I put WAY more htan enough quarters in to qualify for disability, but was told by the SS Admin that I had been a SAHM for too long to qualify. That I need to work for at least one to four quarters before I can start the process.

Is this a bunch of bs? I was a SAHM b/c we had a disabled hild I needed to homeschool, and b/c I had neck surgery and was unable to work after. DH makes a halfaway decent living, but things are so tight medically.

Any advice here?

susie
  15. tinypillar

tinypillar New Member

If you feel you can keep working, just make sure that the type of work is something you can do. I used to do Network Admin/Help Desk (computer stuff), but it required me to lift heavy equipment (on my own) and crawl around under desks or put equpiment in a computer rack. I don't have to tell you all how difficult that is.

I did go on disability for a year, got denied once (I think they deny everyone the first time), appealed and got it. I felt after the year I could go back to work, but needed to find something different.

I do telephone tech support now. I do work full time, but I have a desk that raises and lowers (electronically) so I can sit, stand, move around as much as I want. We also have a person dedicated to ergonomics that will provide any accomidations we need, and adjust our work area (chairs/monitors, phone, etc.)

I'm definately not saying that everyone can work, because I believe a large majority of us shouldn't/can't, and I've not been able to work myself. Just make sure whatever you do is as accomodating to your body as possible.
  16. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

every day gets harder and harder and harder!
    Right now I can retire next March and collect my retirement. I have paid into PERS for 26 years now, but I was off from work to stay home with my daughter 17 years ago and the District made me take out my retirement. So needless to say I went back to work and was reinstated in my old position. So now I have only 9 years accumulated.
    I am checking into if I can buy back those years. It would be nice if I can.
    I don't know if I can wait that long. I am so hurting every
    day, just totally exhausted. I work with children with learning disabilities and believe me I feel I have a learning disability! I can barely spell anymore let alone do simple math or write a simple sentence!
    If I retire can I still apply for disability? Please if anyone knows could you reply?
    Thanks,
    Cindy

17. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm so sorry to hear that you are still working with all that pain!!!.........................I worked for 2 years beyonde my Dx and it was complete tourture! but yes i had to apply for disability right away with 3 girls to feed and a house-truck payment!................my point being i had to take out my pension fund and it didn't phase the ssdi process! ...................................................that's here in montana but i believe all the rules are all the same!!............................Good luck and get a good lawyer and or Advocate to start with !! then maybe the process will move faster for you!!.........................love sydney

18. southernrose

southernrose New Member

claudia

southernrose here! my daughter has been waiting for over a year for her hearing and they moved her's from little rock from ft. smith, boy none of their thinking make any sense. what part of AR. do you live in, for we are in Ozark. God bless you and good luck southernrose