Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darude, Jan 23, 2006.

1. darude

darude New Member

I stopped driving after a dizzy spell and blacking out for a few seconds. I ran a red light and fortunately no-one was hurt. It's been two years and I miss the independance of it but will not risk my life or other peoples. I can't believe the people that still drive suffering from dizziness etc. I do not have dizziness anymore but will not take the risk of driving again.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/23/2006]
  2. Frecker777

Frecker777 New Member

Similar experience here—fraid to drive long distance alone; whenever possible, I try to get someone to come with me. The problem is I’m a youngin (24) and that makes it rather challenging to have much of a social life! I also think I psych myself out and get so nervous if I feel the slightest twinge will driving. I def miss both the independence and socialization I took so for granted when driving carefree.
  3. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

This is a tough decision. At times I know I shouldn't be on the road. I get over in the slow lane and get home. Night driving is becoming a real problem. I know I will eventually hang up the keys.
  4. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Like you, Michelle, I'm only driving short distances now (by myself) and never drive at night, anymore.

It is three miles to our church, about two to the drugstore, and three to the hairdresser and grocery store. Other than that, my husband (or friends) takes me where I need to go.

Ten years ago (before being diagnosed), I remember driving miles of back roads to night classes (after work) and coming home from working 12-hour shifts in the winter darkness. Amazing how quickly both vision and driving confidence have faded - never would think of doing any of that now.

5. DanaC65

DanaC65 New Member

Just the other day I had to call my cousin and ask her "how do I get home". I had no idea in what direction to turn out of Wal Mart, What street I was on, What Town I was in or Where I lived. I had my 3 year old son in the back seat watching mommy cry. My cousin talked me all the way home (18 miles) and even had me laughing after a bit.
    I 'll still be driving, but alot less and alot closer to home if possible.
  6. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I had my licence suspended last year because of vertigo and burred vision, but I got it back after I went for an eye exam and getting my eyes tested, Still I rarely drive as I just don't want to take the chance, I too only go short distance and only if I need to go somewhere.
  7. GBHope

GBHope New Member

because I two suffer with dizziness and brain fog. I figure I may have to hang my keys up at some point too, but sometimes I have to drive because there is no one to help me and I don't have the money to pay a cab 5 or 10 bucks. Like I said though, I may have to someday and it may be a lot sooner than later.

8. JLH

JLH New Member

Oh, darude .... you know I have problems with driving!!

I try not to drive anywhere, but sometimes there is just no other way--I have to go by myself.

I normally only drive to my doctor appointments, and to my mother's once a month to pay her bills.

Everywhere else I go, my oldest daughter takes me--like to the Wal-Mart Supercenter twice a month to get groceries.

If my head is really foggy, I won't drive at all--I have had to cancel doc appts, etc., because I felt like I would be a danger to others if I got behind a wheel.

Also, I will not take a pain pill and drive. Don't want any more impaired judgment than I already have!

9. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

is coming back. I get lost easy, typical fibro, and was whiteknuckling on the rare times when I could drive. Most of the time I felt too impaired. Chemical sensitive really compounds it, because if I shop, visit, about anything, I get all scented and allergied out and then too stiff and painful to trust my ability to do shoulder checks and react quick.

Lost my ability to night drive for years, and I had been one to prefer night driving becasue then I didn't have to deal w/ sunglare. Lowering my a.d seems to be making a big difference though. Think it caused lots more fog than I realized, and it was really blurring my vision at times and making me close to night blind for driving. Drove tonight and didn't have a problem.

10. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

the day. Don't drive at night unless absolutly have to.

Also I will not drive long distances.

**if my husband is gone & I need to leave, I always leave him a note where I'm going--just in case.***
  11. jakeg

jakeg New Member

I'm still driving and should be able to for some time yet until the doc decides that I should not. I don't drive when I take the pain meds as the doc recommened that I don't, I had to once and found out why he said that, thank god I made it back home safely and you can bet I wont do that again.

12. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I'm not driving due to brain fog. I've not drove for about 4 months now.
  13. teller7

teller7 New Member

I think I've only driven about 5 times in the past three years. When you don't realize you're driving almost 80 and on the wrong side of the road it's time to give it up. Really scared me and my hubby when I told him. I hate having my independence taken away from me because of this DD. When the brain fog hits (and I never know when it's going to) it's not safe for me or other people on the road. It's very sad what we've been reduced to.
  14. dumdum

dumdum New Member

I stopped driving about 3 years ago as I was fine in the morning driving to work but by the afternoon when it was time to drive home I had brain fog and was too tired.

I decided then that I knew I should not keep driving and did not want to wait until I caused an accident. The funny thing was when I mentioned to the doctor that I suffered blurred vision and misjudged distances and simply didn't feel right behind the wheel he said he had never heard of CFS stopping people from driving.

I do miss driving and being independant especially now my husband and I have a new car but I know I am doing the righ thing.
  15. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

My hubby takes me everywhere...

I can no longer ignore that my judgment isn't safe, especially for others around me...

My past experiences with the fog have included not remembering where I was or where I was going, finding myself on the side of the road and 'coming to' not knowing how I got there, approaching traffic lights and not knowing if it's red or green...Seems I sometimes even ettempt to get in the vehicle without opening the door all the way, hitting the corner of the door right into my forehead...

I think it has something to do with the order of things too, I will try to put the van in park before I stop, pull the key out while the van is running, etc...Nothing is right anymore...

Being from NY, I am a very talented driver (yes, patting myself on the back, no accidents ever and everyone that has ever driven with me always commented)Now I live in the woods of Maine and am afraid to go to the grocery store 2 miles down the road...Again, it's not for me that I am concerned, I would never forgive myself if I hurt someone else because of my stubbornness to continue to drive when I shouldn't...

I have also discussed with my hubby as we get older we should consider living in town, close to stores, to get ready for the future in case I am alone...Sad that we have to think of these things in our early years to accomodate for these dd's that some docs, lawyers and indian chiefs still think don't exist!

Be careful everyone still driving...Please...
  16. janieb

janieb New Member

I'm still driving safely, but parking and walking is a problem. Do any of you know the procedure for getting a handicap parking sticker? Wisconsin

17. darude

darude New Member

Glad to see others realizing can no longer drive. It sucks but then we don't want to risk an accident. Also would like to make a point for those of you fighting for disability. The fact that you no longer drive is something that they really take into consideration.
  18. darude

darude New Member

I mentioned I could no longer drive or us public transportation so how the heck am I supposed to get there.
  19. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I have to go about an hour form here to all of our Doctors.

I just space out so bad when I am driving.. I use to be such a good driver.. but I don't know now..

I just get so tired that I feel like I am going to pass out. I don't go as much as I use to.. I find that I am only making trips to the Dr. any more. I might stop at a couple of places when I am done.. But that is it.

While I am driving I have these terrible thoughts of stuff happening.. It scares me so bad. Like earlier.. My son has been really sick. This afternoon his fever got up to 103.. So I had to take him to the Dr.. Well he fell asleep against his window.. All I could think is if I couldn't keep it on the road something bad would happen to him. I drive along a river.. I kept thinking if I would fall asleep and go in the river and he would be so sick and not be able to get out..

Does anyone else have these terrible thoughts.. I just wonder what is wrong with me..I do it all the time when I am driving..

I have never told anyone in my family that I just don't feel like I can drive all that good anymore.. I am only 34.. I couldn't imagine not being able to drive.

I don't feel like that all the time.. But it seems to be getting more and more..

I sometimes feel like it is something in my neck that makes me feel so weird..Like when I look up to drive it cuts off something to my brain.. Sounds stupid.. But it feels weird..And it makes me feel so tired. And I get these headaches and I feel like I can't keep my eyes looking straight ahead for to long. So I just keep looking around and not in one spot to long.

Sorry I am writing a book.. But I was just thinking of all this today..

20. janieb

janieb New Member

I know I mispelled the drug, but when I was taking it, I couldn't safely drive. It was a constant strugge to stay awake and at attention. If you're taking that, it could account for your problems.

[ advertisement ]