POLL: Who has IBS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Dec 10, 2002.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I know this is a touchy subject--but I believe IBS is related to FM--more that we know. IBS is defined as a brain-gut disorder, almost like how FM is a disregulation of our nervous system. It would be interesting to see how many of us have IBS and what accompanying symtoms you have? Also what remedies you use?

I have IBS with alternating C (constipation) and days of loose BM's. I get gas pains, cramps along my waistline, and some nausea. For cramps I take Bentyl (prn). I have tried to take Citrucel fiber but this just makes my IBS worse. Can't eat raw fruits and vegetables--everything needs to be cooked. Oatmeal is good soluble fiber.
    Anyone else???
    Tania
  2. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I know this is a touchy subject--but I believe IBS is related to FM--more that we know. IBS is defined as a brain-gut disorder, almost like how FM is a disregulation of our nervous system. It would be interesting to see how many of us have IBS and what accompanying symtoms you have? Also what remedies you use?

I have IBS with alternating C (constipation) and days of loose BM's. I get gas pains, cramps along my waistline, and some nausea. For cramps I take Bentyl (prn). I have tried to take Citrucel fiber but this just makes my IBS worse. Can't eat raw fruits and vegetables--everything needs to be cooked. Oatmeal is good soluble fiber.
    Anyone else???
    Tania
  3. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

Sounds like when you complain of stomach pains they automatically say IBS, kinda like when they don't know what's wrong with us so they say CFS/FMS. I don't know, it's just another syndrome is all. Something that doctors probably don't take too seriously. My stomach's been giving me major problems lately. For the last 3 weeks I haven't been able to eat, smoke, drink coffee, nothing. I live on 2 Boost a day, so when I see my immunologist today, that'll be the first thing I bring up since my stomach has been hurting so bad, hopefully he might have different view on my stomach problems. Do some testing or something.

Anyway, IMO it's just another syndrome and I think we have candida or parasites or a bacteria or something that we can't find anyone to diagnose yet.

~LISA
  4. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

How do we know if we have a specifc autoimmune disorder? So far, my ANA testing is normal.
    Tania
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

IBS and FMS are both serotonin-mediated disorders. The gut has even more serotonin receptors than the brain does. When serotonin becomes dysregulated, as it does in FMS, both areas are often affected. I believe the cause of this dysregulation can be any one of a number of things, in a person who is genetically susceptible to such dysregulation.
    I had severe IBS until I did the following:
    1. take digestive enzymes with every meal
    2. take Probiotics with every meal
    3. eat a low carbohydrate diet with NO simple sugars
    My IBS is in complete remission now and I no longer have a bloated stomach.
    Klutzo
  6. nini

nini New Member

Hi Tania nini here, I have FM/IBS and i recently started probiotics annd no sugar, no coffee, no fizzy, no chocolate,lots of raw fruit and veges wholemeal bread only, no alcohol, no citrus,yep i know it's nearly christmas but so far this is working for me i am starting to feel better in myself tho the pain is still rampant i seem to have more energy. I don't know if this has helped any but my IBS only comes on when i step out of my diet and i know i can put up with FM alot easier if I'm not on the loo all the time sufferring cramps.
    nini
  7. Lee

Lee New Member

between Chrohn's & IBS? I was diagnosed with Chrohn's about 3 years ago but all of the symptoms that go along with IBS are the same symptoms that I have. The only difference is I rarely get diarrhea. (never could spell that word) In fact constipation is the norm for me. Very uncomfortable all the time with the gas, bloating & abdominal pain. Not to mention my food is slow to digest in my stomach, therefore it usually results in indegestion.

I began taking probiotics about a month ago. I feel they are helping a little but I feel that they should be doing more.

Klutzo- I would like to know how many digestive enzymes & probiotics you take before your meals? I have been taking 2 probiotics once a day. I havn't taken digestive enzymes but I am going to now. I do try & limit my sugar intake.

As far as the treatment my Dr. has me on for the Chrohn's is a medication called Zelnorm. It's a new medication that specifically targets individuals with constipation as their primary problem. It hasn't helped me in that respect tho. Very discouraging. I too tried those fiber therapy products like Fibercon, Citracel, etc & found that they made my condition worse as well. Would you believe I found that a cup of raisin bran worked better than anything else so far.
    Laxatives tear me up really bad. Excruciating pain. It would be nice to see what everyone else is taking & how it is working for them.

Thanks to all,
    Lee
  8. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I also have it, though fortunately it does not come visiting every day. All I am doing for it is charting my route to include available public restrooms with easy access whenever I leave the house. I have a lifelong history of allergies, so the second time I had cramps and diarrhea I began a food log. I discontinued to log after I ascertained that there was no connection between what I ate and the IBS. I understand that IBS is a frequent associate of FMS. Good luck!!
    Kathryn
  9. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I was diagnosed with IBS approx. 10yrs ago, very close to the time I was diagnosed with FMS..When first diagnosed, I was on Bentyl (prescription); now I just take Immodium if really needed..
    Take Care.........Donna
  10. khakidan

khakidan New Member

Me Too! I"m new today actually! Have the dreaded IBS.As a matter of fact, kept me from signing up a few minutes ago'''''''''''''''''':) Started to use the little dude w/ his rear up but was to close to home at the moment, got a good laugh tho! Can`t stay long my Grandson is due any moment. Thank-you all for being here.
  11. Starlite

Starlite New Member

I was dx with IBS after I had my last daughter c-section. I do know it isnt any fun with it. No matter what I do i still have it. Its been 12yrs almost 13 yrs I have learned to live with it.
  12. Kim

Kim New Member

Dx'd even before all this other stuff like FM and depression. It goes into remission when my depression gets better.

Things that help:

digestive enzymes
    I have too much acid in my stomach so Maalox helps
    I also take aciphex for acid reflux
    probiotics helps IBS but bothers the acid reflux
    Eating regular 3x a day
    ground flaxseeds as a fiber source
    Avoiding raw veggies and nuts. I cook all veggies lightly

I have trouble with raw fruit but can tolerate frozen fruit smoothies made with almond milk and whey protein. I use raspberries, blueberries, and cherries so the glycemic index is low.

Everyone is different and you just have to find what works for you.

Food allergies can really mess it up.

kim
  13. Hate it, you just never know when it will kick in. But what is really weird, I had been in pain with a bad flare, got IBS for most of the day and then poof the pain was gone?? Of course it came back, but has anyone else noticed this happen?????
    Fibrobutterfly
  14. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

I have the same. I've had "alternating" for a good 20 yrs. or more. That was way before I was ever diagnosed with fibro. Who knows? Maybe I've had fibro all my life and just didn't know it.....
    Lately tho, it's been diarrheas everytime after I eat.
    One would think I would be skinny as a rail because of it, but i'm not.
    My doc once prescribed Metamucil 3x's a day to keep it under control. It does work to slow it down. I used to take it when I was working so as not to be running to the bathroom all the time. Now that i'm home I haven't been taking it because I can go as often as I like and not have to worry about how long i'm in there. (lol)

LOVE,
    HOB
  15. twjen

twjen New Member

The "running" to the bathroom thing started about 4/5 months after the initial joint pain. I had a colonoscopy in which the gastro. dr. said I have colitis, but otherwise healthy colon. My reg dr. says that colitis can be related to connective tissue problems that I have. I agree with Jellybelly, that fms/cfs are autoimmune syndromes. It is obvious, isnt it? It is too me. I have symptoms that match lupus and rhuematiod arthrits, and few tests Ive had show evidence that something is happening, (degen disks, colitis). My blood tests 9 months ago were normal also, but I do believe that there will be a test someday that will prove it, but for now we must go on symptoms, and those symptoms do match autoimmune disfunction. It is interesting to know that so many of us have colitis/ibs.
    I do believe it is related and part of fms for sure.
    Have a great evening. Jen
  16. selma

selma New Member

It's diff. to live with this. I've found going around with
    lomotil/atropine (Prescription)& Imodium in my pocketbook
    Helps me feel like I can control the diarrhea.
    For constipation. Ive been allergic to milk etc.. So I have a very little milk product & it works. Ive tried the same ones you did. No results. So I feel I have some control of my body. I hope that you find something that works for you. Love, Selma
  17. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

CFS and IBS...what a great combo! YUK! I've had IBS since I was a kid (didn't know what to call it back then) and over the years I have figured out that pork, tomato sauce, certain spices (like chili powder, garlic, etc.), and onions seem to trigger some of my bad episodes. Also, I always seem to have an allergy attack at the same time (even though I'm not allergic to those food items)...but there has to be a connection...any of you had the allergy connection, too?
    1Writer
  18. BonBons

BonBons New Member

IBS yes. I noticed yesterday I had bad wake me up symptoms after eating pizza. (Please, Lord, don't make me give up pizza too.) Can't do salad anymore either and it was a mainstay in California. I was really upset today when I asked the doctor's nurse for Bentyl samples (I'm out). She was flippant, rolled the old eyes, sighed with exasperation (gee, I'm calmer now, before I was planning her funeral) and said - doesn't the Prilosec take care of that?
    I believe Prilosec is for GERD which I also have, but I could be wrong. All I know is Bentyl works and she wouldn't give me any until I see the doc tomorrow. She was having a BAAAAAD day. BonBon
  19. kyliesmom

kyliesmom New Member

New here! Hi everyone! I've had IBS for 20 years. Started on Librax then to Levsin SL. Just put it under your tongue at onset and it helps slow the gut down some. In my case it has to go from constipation to liguid before relief comes. Usually five or six trips over a few hours. Do you guys sweat from your head to your toes and then freeze and then exhausted for about an hour. Dr. Pepper's are my IBS triggers and I love them so! No food allergies. Been diagnosed with FMS for 3 years but had it years before.IBS and FMS are related to a defect in our autonomic nervous system. It's the parasympathetic or sympathetic part of that system. It is our back up system that makes people feel fear or move cars off people trapped. The flight or fight theory or the part that just keeps our heart beating, lungs breathing and all the nerves that keep us alive. This is what I have found in my research. Hope it helps some one. Oh my, when I got pregnant my hubby told my OB/GYN there is no way she can deliver this baby she nearly dies having a BM. LOL
    [This Message was Edited on 12/10/2002]
  20. Vicky

Vicky New Member

Hi,
    I have had ulcerative colitis for 3 years, i was on a very restrictive diet for a year or so, no fruit whatsoever and no raw veg at all, and there are not many cooked ones i can stand either. i'm sure that all this somehow helped to cause FM...
    I changed my diet this summer, i now eat some fruit( no skin) and a lot of fish ,some chicken but no red meat. i try to follow the diet in the book by James Scala, it is a lot easier to control the UC with this diet. i also take probiotics and other supplements( and porridge every morning!)

Vicky