POLL: who is the most supportive person in your life?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Who is the most supportive person in your life? What do they do for you that no one else does?
    (( )) Shannon
  2. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

my husband rob is the most supportive person in my life. he can actually tell when in starting to hust or if i'm starting to get anxious and he'll say "when was the last time you too a vicodin" it's kind of nice to have someone who is so in tune with how you are feeling and it validates how i feel. it helps so i don't feel like i'm going crazy.

also he does almost all of the housework, cooking and grocery shopping. if he wasn't dong everything at home it wouldn't be possible for me to still work. he has made it so all i have to do is sleep and work 4 evenings a week. he even takes the phones and turns the ringers off if i'm taking a nap so nothing will wake me.

i am so blessed to have found such a caring and sensitive partner to share my life with. i wish everyone on this board could find someone like him to share thier lives with!

rache
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Right now my therapist. She is wonderful. I want to say my husband but he is part of the reason I am in therapy.

My husband is a wonderful person and does anything for me, but he has OCD. which makes me nuts.

He is also starting therapy next week. We just need to do this.
  4. dolfenn43

dolfenn43 New Member

my most supportive in order has been my Dad and sisters, kids, my husband in last place, sorry husband.
    i guess its hard to live with a different person than you married, been married 20 yrs. been sick for 5 yrs

My health has taken a toll on our relationship.But he still hangs in there.
    dolfenn
  5. mischuv

mischuv New Member

He not always understands when I say I'm really sore and tired today but lets me rest and brings me cuppas etc and tells our 3 year old to be nice and gentle with mum.
    I think that what he finds the hardest is that even though I say I'm sore and really tired I still try to keep up with everything as usual and just push through it, so I think sometimes he must wonder if I'm putting it on or not.

On the same token though on days when I know I'm really bad but push through he's made me sit down and rest in his words "before you fall down !" So while I'm sure at times he's scepictical (SP) I know that he notices and must realise when I'm at my worst...

6. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

God first and foremost.

My Nurse Practitioner because she has Lupus, FM, MPS and CF and can relate to the amount of pain it causes.

My friends here on the board because if anyone understands, it is you!!!

My husband, friends and family try to understand sometimes and other times they still lose patience with me. I have to try and remember that my family just doesn't understand this yet and that they all just want to see me feel better.
  7. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

Jonathan, who is a wonderful son and is making a fireman/paramedic. He is always understanding if I am feeling bad and hurting. He takes me to the Dr. when DH is stuck in trial, he brings me food to my bed if I am in bed sick. He is the most caring, understanding, compassionate young man I have ever encountered.

TxSongBird
  8. woofmom

woofmom New Member

9. dleaning

dleaning New Member

THis board!!! My husband isn't the most supportive person, I think because he doesn't understand, nor does he take the time to understand what this is. He was there when I got the dx, and of course the dr suggested exercise and it is just too painful to do at this point. Hubby is into exercising right now so he thinks that is the answer to everything! I did try, for a week, but it just set me back. The only other person I would have turned to would have been my mom. She was the most supportive person when I was dx with panic disorder back in 89. She died 7 years ago, and my life hasn't been the same since.
  10. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I wish I could say my husband, though he does support me financially and encourages me to see doctors. But emotionally, he is not there. The only other person I have in my life is my handicapped brother who supports me as best he knows how.

Sooooo....to answer the question, I'd have to say this group and my therapist.
  11. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

Along with my Higher Power, the best support I get is from support board friends I've made. We have a lot in common...and lots of understanding.

Of all my friends and family, only one has taken the time to read up on FM...only one. My son is a nurse...and even he's totally in the dark. DH tries...but not too hard...he's too narcissistic.

Don't know what I'd do if I didn't have my FM friends!!!
  12. carebelle

carebelle New Member

My husband is wonderful .God gave me a really wonderful husband. He's kind,helpful,smart,understanding and really nice to look at. LOL
    I really am a lucky women.I realize it to.I just wish I was able to do more with him and for him.I have hopes my health will get better.
    I think the thing he does for me, is he never gets mad when I complane about my pain or being so tired.He lessons to me and he loves me weather I am haveing a good day or a bad day.I love how he holds my hand at night in bed sometimes til I fall asleep.Its been 32 years and I count him as my biggest blessing and thank God everyday for him.
    I look around and see or hear how some others husbands are with their wife and beleave me I know how blessed I am.
  13. mimilove

mimilove New Member

Hello Shannon.....How are you doing?

My husband without a doubt; who had the most difficult first 2 months when I first got sick. He was actually so angry at me, Drs everything. I now understand and been told there is a "grieving" period. Having somebody chronically ill in the family does do that.

He wakes up at 3.30am goes to work everyday and battles whatever the elements have to offer. He's in the oil industry. I never know when he's gonna get home, we never communicate through out the day (but now they have allowed him to call me once to check on me, besides line is so bad). Works between 12-15 hrs everyday, has never called in sick, has had to miss a couple of days now because of me.

He does all the cooking, cleaning, groceries..........everything but my Dr's appointments because he would have to take a Day Off without pay to do that. He will very soon though, to go tell them off and so we can start "demanding" some stuff be done, enough is enough.

I now know why my life diverted from the path I was on 12 yrs ago and married him, because I would never, ever have thought I would married someone like him. But without my control my life "diverted" on it's own, and I told him I married him because of his "innocence and purity".

I was right, he is the most honest person I will ever meet in my life. I am still here only because of him :)
  14. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

It would be my husband of 36yrs.We've been through thick and thin together and he knows me like I know myself.This AM at 4 I woke up from leg pain and he rubbed my legs and offered to run me a bath of hot water, that I turned down but realized how much I love him.My 29yr. old son because he moved home and helps me take care of 91yr. FIL.He makes his days off to suit our Dr. appts.
    Pam
  15. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi
    The most supportive would have to be my daughters on various levels ! also God (he's my best friend!) My Dad is somewhat supportive (past the judgemental stage)................................my brothers and their wives are also to some degree! My sister is sure it's all a put on!...............................................I just don't put any demands on any of them and just do my best to take care of myself!.......................................................How are you doing Shannon? you have such an amazieing attitude!!................................bless you...................sisland
    P.s. forgot to mention my great Dr. (rhmy)[This Message was Edited on 06/03/2006]
  16. ChungieDolor

ChungieDolor New Member

Good question to ask since that has been the topic of my life currently. My husband is my Numero uno Supporter! He helps with groceries, med pick up, and other errands I can not get to.

Unfortunately, my fms has gotten worse. Maybe with all the stress I have had to endure lately. Dad passed away in August, mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer, and two sisters who have gotten less supportive and a could care less attitude.

I do what I can to help with Mom, but they do not understand that I can not walk or get out of bed most days. So, those little things I do for Mom are discounted.

The sister I was closest to, screamed at the top of her lungs to shut up when I told her about my pain. This was a week ago, and we have not talked to each other ever since. That hurts me tremendously. She has a friend that has fms, and is working, so she figures, I can work. She also told me a while back, that she gets frustrated with me when she has heard of a treatment, and I don't look into it, and I have!

I love this board, because we know how it feels to have this horrible illness. So for those days, when Hubby is in a grumpy mood from working all day on his feet, This board is awesome! Thanks to all who have offered support!

Sincerely
    Chungiedolor
  17. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Me.

Marta
  18. ksp56

ksp56 Member

It is undoubtably my husband, Jim. After 25+ years of marriage he has been the most constant. He can make me laugh at times I don't want to!

I am sure he didn't know he was signing on to a life time with a wife who would have Breast Cancer, Bipolar, Fibro, and now severe problems with my cervical spine and lower spine. Whew, he should have been a doctor! LOL

Jim has made mistakes, he is far from perfect. He does have the gift of loving me through all of this, and still likes me too!

Not too much support from my mom and other family members. My daughter and son are s l o w l y coming around. I don't think they want to deal with the ramifications. Most of my friends are true blessings, but they do not understand like Jim.

This board has been a God send for me. I don't know what I would do without all of the love, laughter and support you show.

God Bless You All,

Kim

19. JLH

JLH New Member

1. Just ME!!

2. Maybe my daughter.
  20. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

My awesome hubby is so supportive of me. He does so much around here with the house and the kids, and works his tail off so that I can stay home. He is always emotionally, physically and spiritually supportive. He wishes our s*x life could be more than it is, but he is still so understanding and supportive. He gets frustrated and angry and worn out at times (who wouldn't living with a chronically ill person) but it is not directed at me, but at our circumstances. God knew what He was doing when He put me with Pat. No other guy I ever dated would have stuck with me through this.

My parents are very supportive as well. They have helped me out financially quite a bit when we would have been in quite a mess. My mom is paying for a housekeeper and someone to help with the kids soon since I've gotten so bad.

My in-laws are very emotionally supportive.

A few of my friends are very supportive.

My rheumy, although he has not diagnosed me with FM, and is currently frustrating me in the this area, has been a good doctor for 26 years and takes my pain seriously. He gives me pain pills and sleep meds and calls me frequently to see how I am.

Typing this and reading the other posts makes me realize just how blessed I am. My heart grieves for those of you who do not have any support or help. :(
    [This Message was Edited on 06/03/2006]