POLL: who is your Hero? who do you get your strength from?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Who is the person that, when you're feeling your most ill, you think, "I'll do what they would have done"?

Who do you look up to and draw strength from? What is it about this special person that makes them your hero and helps you cope?

Who is your personal hero?
    ((love)) Shannon

2. srh

srh New Member

For starts, you can all have a good laugh. Typed my total response, then saw an error and went back in to edit and apparently deleted it all!!!! Maybe it was God's way of telling me to shorten it a bit. We'll See!!!!
    So here it goes, and it is not short.
    Shannon, Thank you so...much. This one might really get me thinking and help me get off my pity pot and help me cope.

I have 2 heros. My parents. They were such awesome people.
    Together they raised "6" girls and 1 boy. They had 31 grandchildren, and had to bury 4 of them.

They were the most spirtual and in love couple. Where they found the time, I don't know. But they did.

My dad died of Lou Gehrig's (ALS) disease. It is a debilitating muscle disease that also eventually shuts down your organs.

Dad fought it to the bitter end. He was a farmer before he retired and when his legs first went weaker, he would do 100 chin ups everyday to strengthen his arms. This was a man almost 70 then!!

He was such a DIY person (unlike a lot of men of that era, my father-in law, for one) Even after he was put on oxygen and braces, anyone could be standing in the kitchen or by the sink and he would get up to get his own and maybe something for someone else. He was so awesome. He was the mediator in the family if someone was having trouble, even if it was with Mom!!

He fought until the bitter end in the hospital, because he refused to let any of us go home to help him. And I imagine, he thought Mom had already done enough.

My Mom, after Dad died, took over for him too. All their children raised and took over all that that Dad had been. The best thing I remember is this. Mom with all her children to raise had been so busy with the top six of us that she never spent the hands on time with us. She never had it to share I'm sure.

When Dad died, she made sure that (probably all of us), but myself, anyway, was going to be special. She took over as the mediator if needed, the one to make whoever was down or not feeling well safe and loved.
    It was just amazing. My Mom was not a real patient person. But after Dad died, she became one.

And then 2 years later she was dix with cancer. She must of have been in so much pain that summer. We didn't find out she had cancer until almost October and she was gone November 1. And she had the courage to go back home after dix and die with only her children caring for her. Now to me that's courage. I spent my two weeks vacation staying with her along with my siblings. It was the best vacation and will always be the best I've ever had.

So anyway I'm sorry this was so long, but I just had to remind myself of the stock I came from. Maybe now I can at least try to be a part of what they each were and have the strength to cope with this DD.

Thank you so....much shannon. And all of you have a Happy Easter Sunday.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/16/2006]
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Shannon:
    My parents. They raised us well with love and patience and gave us values we never knew we had.

nyrofan
  4. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

Dalai Lama and anyone else who accepts the limitations of the human mind.
  5. RockiAZ

RockiAZ New Member

without a DOUBT, my hubby (and in part, 'me' too).

In short, he is my best friend, soulmate, my rock, 'nurse', soundboard & supporter; he encourages me, respects me and loves me unconditionally, and I him.

We've been married going on 12 years (married prior to this DD). He has seen me at my best & at my worst and no matter what, he has always remained next to me. He is the most optomistic person I have ever known. All of this, and then some, helps me to get through each day, let alone my worst days.

Live, Laugh, Love,
    Rocki
  6. daylight

daylight New Member

My Hero is Jesus. No matter what happens or how much I whine He is always there. I know that I can tap into the main Power source. Any boy howdy! Do I miss up alot.

His forgiveness power always amazes me
    D.

7. mom4three

mom4three New Member

She is 9 years old and is amazing..

she has to help me so very much because I cannot anymore.

She tells me "mom go sit down and tell me what you need"

YOu know what she did..

They had to do a state writting test and they had to write about what they would do during the summer if money was no object..
    She wrote she would find a cure for Fibromyalgia so her mommy would not be in so much pain...

Amazing little girl..
  8. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

is my hero and i tell him so :)
    he doesnt fuss or patronise but will see when i am struggling and take up the slack. he cooks every night as i havent the strength to lift the pots nor the control to master a knife. he will sit with the kids for homework or stories,takes full control over the garden and (only if its dire) will take care of the dogs for me :) he likes the cuddles and to spoil them he just doesnt like the donkey work with them :)

my husband the super hero - the only thing he wont do is scrub the tub lol
  9. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

Two heros...my dad for being such a wonderful father and his persistence through some hard times in life.

Also, Eric Liddell--who was the Scottish runner depicted in Chariots of Fire.
  10. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I guess I will say that mine has to be:

1. My mother In-law (deceased) from cancer but she hardly ever complained, about the horrible pain she was in.

2. My mom (also deceased) from cancer and she was very similar in not wanting to complain about her pain, also my dad used to abuse her and she rose above all of that and got out and went on to make a better life for all of us.

3. My son who has seizures and who has gone through so much but he never gives up and just keeps on being happy and loving to everyone.

I guess that is all, Pamela
  11. mahx

mahx New Member

...is without a doubt Jesus Christ. I know if it were not for the strength I receive through HIM, I would would not get out of bed most days. Not to mention the great sacrifice he made for me. I know whatever I face each day, whatever I may lose...friends,family,health...etc....that the one and only thing 100% guranteed...thing I have...HIS love.

MA