Poll Who Remembers Serious Stress before Getting Sick??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lolalee, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

There are different opinions as to what causes FMS and CFIDS. I am not suggesting that stress causes these illnesses, but I do agree that major stress can leave some people vulnerable to illness. I experienced some major life events and also a couple of bouts with bronchitis and the flu before I got FMS and CFIDS.

Anybody else???

Thanks,

Lolalee
  2. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

My 37 year old sister had a sudden cardiac arrest and was in a coma for almost a week, and survived with severe brain damage.

Shortly after that I fell and broke my foot and was about a year recuperating, due to a misdiagnosis.

Then, whammo, the fibro beast hit me!

Sue in Ontario
  3. dononagin

dononagin New Member

yup! I went through a brutal divorce, took care of my dying mother, lost an uncle, lost my grandfather, went through a custody battle, a cancer scare, my sisters brain surgury, lost my job with two young children to feed, relocated, started a new job working 12 - 16 hours a day starting up a new factory, met a new guy all in one year.
    Then.. I got the flu - turned to Mono - never fully got better.
    yup.. I think stress wore me down to the point that I had no immune system left.
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Lola,

I had 5 children, was doing home childcare, had one daughter driving me crazy and a FIL living with us with alzheimers. Got some kind of bug and then it started and never left !

Then it only took me 20 years plus to get diagnos me. How about that ! Is that stress or what?

More later...Sorry I have to leave for now.

Hugs,

Marilyn (that granni)
  5. Juloo

Juloo Member

I was 7 months pregnant with my (now) 10-year-old son when, the same week I was put on bed rest for PIH, my mother (widowed, four states away, I'm an only child) was diagnosed with cancer.

The next two years were a blur, but I can remember that it was almost constant stress until she died. Then there was another couple years of settling her estate, moving, renovating a house, etc. Then a couple of years later, a miscarriage -- and I went down, down, down...

I've tried to put my finger on exactly when I got sick, and all I can say is that it was a gradual decline, but I knew it was happening. When my son was about a year old, the two of us got sick at the same time -- a viral infection as my husband was driving us so that I could take care of my mother for a month post-surgery and while she started radiation. I dragged a recliner chair into my bedroom, and I slept there every night with my son on my chest, because he had difficulty breathing when he was lying down. During the day I'd do all the housework and chauffering. All I can say (though it's a big thing!) is that I survived.

My husband came back for us and we immediately drove to another state for a family wedding. When we finally got home (I'm five weeks out now) it took three rounds of antibiotics to tame the sinus infection I got.

And things haven't been the same since.
  6. azbubba

azbubba New Member

Yeah, I think I had a bit of stress...I went through a divorce from my mentally ill ex.

Bubba
  7. cct

cct Member

Big Stress!

My boyfriend of 3 years was diagnosed with a rare form of lukemia and 2 weeks later he was dead. He was only 32 years old.

I cried for an entire year.

At the end of that year, after I had finally stopped crying everyday, I got CFS.
  8. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

My stress wasn't as bad as everyone's stories that I have read so far, but I do remember I was in a lot of stress from school, because I don't have a very large peer group and those that I did have were liked about as well as I was.

I also pushed myself really hard because I expected myself to be the best (still do, really...). I ended up having to stay home from school at least one day a year due to a nervous breakdown (not including all the sick days I had.)

So, it's not really anything BAD but it was enough to push me over the edge I guess. I can't really recall anything else that would've influenced me like that.

Oh, well, there was when my cousin (basically my older brother) disengaged himself from the family and I was really hurt, but that doesn't bother me so much now. He's starting to come around again anyway. *knocks on wood*
  9. lptopcat

lptopcat New Member

I remember that it was around the time of my mom's death in 1990. I has lost a brother 3 yrs before and my mom was only 53 yrs olds....started feeling tired & achey...

Then remarried in 1991 to a man who abused me, physically and emotionally, divorced 2 years later, then dad died in 1993...tired, achey and depressed....

Remarried (again)in 1997 to a wonderful man, life was being pretty good to me, when he had a massive heart attack and died,Sept, 2001...downhill from there...

Have been a wreck on & off since then, and had neck surgery in apr., 2005 ....major flare since then.

Now have good team of Docs so maybe things will be looking up soon. I have to be optimistic, otherwise, I'd go crazy

I just reread this, sound kinda like a "soap"...LOL

Theresa
  10. Callum

Callum New Member

Yep.

Callum
  11. whoachief

whoachief New Member

In the weeks before I became ill my grandma was very ill and passed away & my father-in-law suffered a massive heart attack, was on life support for a few days and died 2 days after we removed him from life support. It was an extremely stressful time for my family & I had pnuemonia during all this so I definately didn't rest & take care of myself like I was supposed to with pnuemonia.
  12. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

I believe I was ill long before I was diagnosed (unfortunately a common thing), but there were some immediate stressors right before I finally received a correct diagnosis of FMS.

My marriage of ten years ended after a long and nasty divorce. The marriage itself was a stressful time in my life also, as my former husband has a borderline personality. I was coping with becoming a single mom and the emotional health of not only myself, but my children as well. Then I was laid off from my job and had to figure out how to support my family on unemployment benefits. My father became very ill, in fact he was dying - he passed away shortly after I was diagnosed.

Serious stress? I would have to say yes!

Interesting poll,
    Kat
  13. Pennygirl2

Pennygirl2 New Member

Boy isn't it telling to read these posts and see the trememdous amounts of stress we all seem to have undergone to weaken us and let the DD's in I believe. I was left by my "love at first sight" high school sweetheart husband after 18 years of marriage and two kids. He said he loved both of us so I let him see both of us to try and hang on for me and kids thereby depleting all my strength and there you go, first Mono---CFIDS, FM, etc and etc. Now feel like a ghost. Or a shell of a person. Penny
  14. abcanada

abcanada New Member

Mine began with a difficult 4th pregnancy almost 2 years ago now. It was all bad from the get go with severe morning sickness, severe varicose viens-resulting in 2 blood clots, then a postpartum hemmorhage just about leaving me dead. I never recovered from the difficultness of the pregnancy, except the morning sickness. That I'm thankful for. I do have 4 beautiful children, seemingly making it all worth while. Wishing you all good health, Laura
  15. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Just reading these posts makes me wonder how some of us have even survived...no wonder our bodies broke down.

I never had a strong immune system..Asthma from childhood and it seemed that each time I caught a cold it turned into Bronchitis, Pleurisy, Pneumonia and I had to stay in bed for days. I was never one who could go to work with a cold since it was always a really bad cold.

But despite that, I was a strong-willed person that would forge ahead as much as possible. My mother got very sick and was in a coma for 3 weeks. During that time, I took a leave from work and flew to her hospital bedside. It was a difficult, stressful time and I remember thinking...I hope I don't get cancer (I could feel the stress affecting my body in a way that I felt would make me sick). Mom survived, but 2 years later died in her sleep. Six months later, my mother-in-law, whom I loved dearly, died unexpectedly. I was already starting to feel the fatigue and pain of FMS when this happened. These are just 3 major stressors which occurred within a 2-year period.

I won't go into all the others, but there were at least 7 or 8 more intense, stressful events that I experienced within the following 3-year period.

Now, the only thing that helps me is to spend a lot of peaceful, quiet time getting a lot of rest.

Lolalee
  16. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

I cant pinpoint exactly when it started...Ive been in car accidents, had surgery , etc etc...but I found out I was pregnant AFTER my boyfriend and I broke up! Then i met a girl he had been cheating on me with. I was heartbroken and had a hard time dealing with it.
    Then went on Prozac for anxiety which made my body and mind go haywire so i stopped it, taking that made me worse big time too.
    A job i didnt like, a kid to take care of alone.....etc etc...it was a slow decline but got VERY bad. CFS....so they say.
  17. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I won't go into the details, but I think long-term chronic severe stress played a major role in me getting sick. Stress really does a number on our bodies.

Mary
  18. aubrygreen

aubrygreen New Member

I also was under quite a bit of stress when I first started experiencing medical problems. I was in the military and I hurt first my left hip and then my lower back; unfortunately, I was still in training and military doctors have a tendency to think that people who are hurt in training are faking it so that they can get out of the military. I kept doing all the physical training without getting any medical care or even a concrete diagnosis for what I believe was a stress fracture in my hip.

I tend to believe that that physical trauma was the primary cause of my fibro, but also, over the two year period where I didn't get better and didn't get better, I was in one of the most intensive training courses the military has to offer. I was in the Korean language program to become an interpreter, and the program required up to 12 hours a day of language study on top of regular military duties; there were Army Rangers in my class who swore they'd rather do Ranger school all over again. Anyway, I didn't get any medical care, and after I graduated (with honors btw) they mustered me out, for unexplained back pain. Didn't get diagnosed properly until I saw the VA doctor for my disability claim. I'm still working on getting some kind of medical care, 3 years later.
  19. Marta608

Marta608 Member

You bet your bippy, Lola.

I not only believe that stress contributes to our illness, I also believe that we may be genetically predisposed not to handle stress as well as others. That said, I came from a family that did stress better than they did Thanksgiving and way more frequently. I don't know if my reactions to stress are genetic or learned.

And coincidently, yes, I had many stressful events prior to diagnosis with CFS beginning in childhood and continuing like water on a stone. Finally a blinger of a bout with EBV seemed to be the final straw. I'm a huge believer in stress as a factor in our illness.

As long as I'm blathering here, I also want to mention that while we're all impatient for a cure, what we need as well or maybe more is a change in society's lifestyle - with better eating habits, insistence on quality food in our markets, exercise plans and learned behavior modification to help us handle stress. I think we need to begin these things very early in life, more so now that our country feels less safe every day. If I was King, I'd mandate it. OK, Queen.

*Off soapbox*

Marta
  20. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I was under some mental stress but mostly in the year I before I became ill I had a concussion, followed by a sinus infection and then another virus.