Pollen

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Betsy2, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

These past two days have been sort of nasty for me. I am having a horrible reaction to the pollen. I was okay when the flowers were blooming and the grass did its thing. Now the trees are giving off pollen and I can hardly tolerate going out. My nose, eyes and throat are so dried out and scratchy it hurts. When I was in Michigan I didn't react this badly to pollen. They say that you can grow into an allergy and grow out of it. I am used to being allergic to grass but never trees or flowers. Oh well, I will survive
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I first moved to Florida six years ago, the Melaleuca trees bloomed three times a year and I was allergic to the pollen. Over time, my reaction to this pollen has lessened to the point that they do not bother me anymore.

Unfortunately, the recent Red Tide outbreak made me more sensitive to all old allergies and I have been suffering from them for about a month or so.

Hope you get to feeling better. This too shall pass.

Love, Mikie
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

The more exposure you have to an allergen, the worse the allergy gets, so treating it is a good idea, and so is lessening exposure. I don't know where you live now, but if you keep the windows closed until the pollen is gone, that will help. Also, try not to go outside between 5 and 10 am. That's when the pollen count is highest, except for grass pollen, which is highest around sunset. If you are someone who hangs your clothes out to dry, you should stop that during pollen season as well.
    If you don't want to take drugs, you might try taking Quercetin (a bioflavonoid) and stinging nettle. You can find combinations of this at any health food store. It works best if started right before the pollen season, but may be worth a try.
    I know how you feel, as I originally moved to Florida because my allergies in Wisconsin got so bad they were considered intractable and I was told to move to either the mainland of Alaska or the southern half of Florida, based on my skin tests.
    Klutzo
  4. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Seems like pollen levels go up every year. I think there is
    atleast some link between allergies and FM.
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm pretty convinced that in my individual case, years of out-of-control allergies are basically the CAUSE of my FM....or at least the cause of my immune system breaking down to the point where FM "moved in"......now I am in the process of trying to correct years of undx'd food allergies & resulting "leaky gut"......tried to stem the tide of inhalant allergies my whole life, while not recognizing the food issues.....one of those instances where you wish you could turn back the clock a few years (or decades)! Yes, I think for many of us there's an allergy link, though probably not for everyone. The more you can recognize this early-on, though, the better.

Wish I knew then what I know now.....much of it learned from this board....

Good luck, all!

Hugs,
    Pam
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Are you a water drinker? If not, then start to drink half your body weight in ounces of water everyday.

I had allergies for years, worst was the headaches, last year I read a book called; 'ABC of Asthma, Allergies, and Lupus' by 'F. Batmanghelidj, MD.

Well, it took about a month, but I started drinking water, and taking a quarter teaspoon of Sea Salt everyday. I rarely have a problem with plant allegies anymore.

I live in Louisiana, in the countryside, right now I have Honeysuckle, Confederate Jasmine, Cape Jasmine, wild Dogwood, Wisteria, wild Roses, etc. all in bloom in my yard! I can honestly go outside without getting a stuffed up nose, itching eyes and worst of all, a sinus headache!

I have taken half the drugstore before drinking water and nothing really helped.
    I have a half a block of the Jasmine blooming on the fence right outside my door, the smell is all over the house and I am fine! I can hardly believe it myself. Next is the Magnolias.

Now, if I can just find what works for chemical allergies I will think I found heaven on earth!

Hope you feel better soon.........

Shalom, Shirl
    [This Message was Edited on 05/01/2003]
  7. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Have been a lot more brutal, here...and I thought I was getting over those problems with my natural new solutions...can we never get rid of these allergies???
  8. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

Thanks for all your suggestions! I found the natural remedies particulary interesting. I have a perscription for benedryl in my medicine cabinet but I can't take that during the day in case I need to drive some place. I see that the magnolias are beginning to bloom here so that could be part of the problem too. In Michigan it was so cold and snowy nine months out of the year, I didn't need to worry as much about pollen. I love the south and I am determined not to let this get me down. Again, I appreciate your kind words and suggestions.

Betsy2