POLLUTION.? Let's see a show of hands...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dojomo, Jul 8, 2003.

1. dojomo

dojomo New Member

I think many of us are starting to see that our environment is way too toxic for us. Why can't science and medicine converge on this?

I think that it solves all the question we have.. like

Why mostly women ?.......dioxins are estrogen disruptors and can cause endometriosis and endometrial thickening (did you know tampons have dioxins in them from the bleaching process?)

Why after 20+ years ...no common pathogen is found?.........Because it is toxins...that's why. Dr's don't test for environmental toxins, except heavy metal screens.....and only a biopsy will reveal bioaccumulation.

The facts are out there.......10 % of american women have toxic levels of mercury in them...( exposure limits that were determined for healthy males..not women and children. ) they just recently cut in half the safe exposure limits for mercury...so it is likely that more than 10% of women are toxic.

There are fish advisories in 43 states because of the dioxin and mercury content.

So here is the part I DON"T GET.....

The environment is polluted...... pollution causes health problems......

All of our symptoms can be attributed to the very toxins that exceed safety levels in our environment.........

Does 2+2 still equal 4.????????

Or.......is it cheaper to invent a bunch of syndromes and call us crazy.
    -IBS
    -CFS
    -MCS
    -GWS
    -FM

If something isn't done soon...... I don't care how genetically strong you are, It will eventually affect you.... DJ
  2. dojomo

dojomo New Member

Most illnesses caused by pathogens are identifiable....and generally scientists find the pathogen fairly quickly....ie West Nile AIDS SARS.

I think that they would have ID'd it by now. The toxins in our environment are PROVEN to cause autoimmune illnesses, and dysfunctions. Mercury can cause hypercoagulation....

Mycoplasmas can be a problem in some.....but not all. So I figure it is opportunistic ..... depends on how your immune system has been affected.

..............what do you think DJ
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am a firm believer that our illnesses are genetically predisposed. Pollution most likely does play a huge role in our illnesses. It may be a trigger and/or a factor, just like the pathogens.

Healthy immune systems can stave off a lot, but we were never meant to have to fight off all the pollutants in our environment.

Pollution has been acceptable for years becasue of the almighty dollar. Corporations have been allowed to dump their poisons into the land, air and water. I believe we are paying the costs in increased illnesses.

At this point, we just don't know the cause(s) of our illnesses which seem to be so complex, but one thing I know for sure: Pollution isn't a healthy thing.

Love, Mikie
  4. dojomo

dojomo New Member

As a matter of fact....I think relocating has helped me. I used to live in Fla and always had blackmold I couldn't get rid of, I lived near orange groves and gulf courses ( alot of pesticides) I worked in hospital ((probably very toxic)) and I used to use diazinon in my yard to kill fleas.....OMG !!!!!!

I moved to the midwest..... starting avoiding as much toxins as I can.....and I beieve it has made a huge difference.

Mikie......your right pollution isn't healthy....... I guess unless it is studied we will never now. The EPA site has a lot on dioxins and health risks, but they don't recommend that people get tested for dioxins, because there is no standards set as far as certified labs and drawning procedures and expected results...... They should get moving on that.....DJ
  5. dojomo

dojomo New Member

Maybe were on to something here... maybe everyone should just leave their state.... we can house swap..... Anyone with a mansion in Hawaii want to swap for a condo in Chicago LOL!!!!!........

Here is an interesting article I found at the NIH site.....thought I would add it to this thread,,,,,DJ

Reports from special environmental health issue explore links to autoimmune diseases - diabetes, lupus, multiple scleroris and arthritis

A study by scientists at Johns
    Hopkins University concludes that at least ten million Americans are affected by one of 80 known autoimmune diseases -- conditions such as type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetes, lupus, multiple sclerosis and even Takayasu's arteritis, which attacks the aorta and its branches. These conditions result when a person's immune system mounts an attack against one's own tissues.

Mild forms of the autoimmune response probably occur naturally in most people. But, for people with a predisposition to autoimmunity, environmental factors, such as toxic chemicals, drugs, bacteria or viruses, may trigger a full-fledged response.

The potential causes of this mysterious family of diseases are described in the October supplement to Environmental Health Perspectives, the journal of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. The supplement, titled Linking Environmental Agents and Autoimmune Diseases, contains updated reports from a workshop which brought more than 100 scientists to the NIEHS campus in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, to review what is known about the causes and underlying mechanisms involved.

Immunotoxic effects that result from prenatal exposure to environmental chemicals may be more dramatic or persistent than those from exposure during adult life. For example, prenatal exposure to the insecticide chlordane, or the aromatic hydrocarbon benzopyrene, produces what appears to be lifelong immunosuppression in mice.

Furthermore, when mice genetically predisposed to develop autoimmune disease were treated with the environmental contaminant tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD) before birth, their postnatal autoimmunity was increased.

A study of two large epidemics documents the potential of environmental agents to induce autoimmune disease states. In Spain in 1981, 35,000 people developed fever, respiratory problems, muscle/joint pain, peripheral neuropathies and other lupus-like symptoms following ingestion of denatured rapeseed oil. In a second case, a similar range of symptoms occurred among New Mexico residents who had been exposed to contaminated L-tryptophan, an essential amino acid.

Various autoimmune diseases found in both humans and animals occur predominantly in females. Recent studies with non-autoimmune strains of mice suggest that chronic treatment with the female sex hormone, estrogen, stimulates the production of antibody-producing B cells while suppressing the activity of helper T cells. This imbalance can result in unchecked proliferation of self-reactive B cells, which may lead to increased incidence of autoimmune disease.

To date, researchers have identified a host of environmental factors thought to be possible triggers for various autoimmune disorders. For example, exposure to certain dietary factors seems to contribute to type 1 diabetes. Other possible links include ultraviolet radiation and multiple sclerosis, ionizing radiation and systemic lupus erythematosus, stress and rheumatoid arthritis, and exposure to heavy metals and autoimmune glomerulonephritis.
  6. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Some of us, including me, are canaries.

We are sensitive to environmental toxins that other people don't notice.

But, if something is not done, over time others will be affected.

We are the canaries in the coalmine, warning others that there's a toxin they can't detect present.