polymylgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lilhobo2us, Dec 8, 2005.

1. lilhobo2us

lilhobo2us New Member

hi,what is polymylgia rheumatica.is this as serious as fibromylgiamy rheumy says i have poly.i know i hurt in back hip neck have sinus problems my chest around under both breasts hurts to breath hard,i havenot had any xys,but my sed rate was high.now what happens help.thanks debbie
  2. roseylisa

roseylisa New Member

my husbands aunt has had it for years. in away its like fibro except a blood test confirms it.she takes predisone and anti inflamatories
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For Giant Cell Somethingorother (can't ever remember the last word). It can cause blindness and can accompany PMR.'

My neighbor has it and has been in remission for a long time. You can probably do a web search and find out a lot about it.

Love, Mikie
  4. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

the great thing about polymyalgia is that it goes away!
    my grandfather had this and he really suffered with it, the pains just as bad as fm. he would be climbing the walls with it, but its all gone now and hes just the same as he was, on the go and not slowing down.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's Giant Cell Arteritis. Very important to eliminate this.

Most PRM does go into remission but there can be relapses. I think has to be careful and take care so as not to relapse.

Love, Mikie
  6. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

I found this on Yahoo Health:

Polymyalgia rheumatica is a rare inflammatory disease characterized by muscle pain (myalgia), stiffness, and additional generalized systemic symptoms such as fatigue, low-grade fever, and/or a general feeling of ill health (malaise). Polymyalgia rheumatica can be a relatively benign condition that is extremely responsive to treatment. In some rare cases, permanent muscle weakness, degeneration and loss (atrophy) of muscle mass, and disability may occur. The exact cause of polymyalgia rheumatica is unknown, although immunological factors and familial tendencies (genetic predisposition) have been mentioned in the medical literature.

Polymyalgia rheumatica is closely related to giant cell arteritis, another inflammatory disorder. Giant cell arteritis is characterized by progressive inflammation of many arteries of the body. These two disorders have been described in the medical literature as possible variants of the same disease process. Some researchers believe they represent different ends of a disease continuum. The exact nature of the association is not fully understood.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This has rolled over and I'm afraid you didn't get to see it.

Love, Mikie
  8. jake123

jake123 New Member

This is what I was diagnosed with. My rheumy looked me in the eyes and said people with poly. do not have pain.
    Last week the intern doctor came in to talk with me and he said you should be on some pain med. He told the rheumy and the r. said No not with this.
  9. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

ppl with poly do not have pain???!!!! yeah right!

i remember my grandad so desperate for relief he took the door of its hinges to lie on as the floor wasnt hard enough.

that man needs a slap. im volunteering first!
  10. kylesmom

kylesmom New Member

Well, I'll admit I've been out of school for a while, but it seems to me that "myalgia" means muscle pain, does it not? How could he say it does not cause pain? Geez...

I'm sorry I don't have anything useful to offer.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Can be very similar to FMS. That is why it is so important to eliminate things like PMR before making a diagnosis of FMS. My neighbor has this and it can cause very painful flares.

Again, with PMR, it is very important to eliminate Giant Cell Arteritis as it can cause blindness, but it is preventable when treated.

Love, Mikie
  12. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

My cousin was diagnosed with polymalgia rheumatica about a year ago. Her doctor put her on prednisone, I think she took it for about a year, and she has recovered.

I read back then about some natural remedies for it. If I were you, I'd do some research on-line to learn more about it. It is treatable, that's the good news, so I think it's a better diagnosis than fibromyalgia.

Mary
  13. sofy

sofy New Member

That was my second diagnosis. In early 90's at the flip of a switch I could hardley move and it got worse and worse. The pain was excruciating and sleep non existent.I tested positive for lyme disease but after 8 weeks of doxy I had made only a tiny bit of progress.

They sent me to big hospital rheumy, took one look at me, and said poly.

Treated my for 2 years with big doses of prednisone, mega antiinflamitories, bp meds, stomach meds etc. One pill led to another.

I did feel better on the pred. but who wouldnt with those hi doses. My bones now tell the permanant damage from that treatment.

Im back to chronic lyme disease now, which had I known it existed then and had access to the internet I would have sought a lyme literate doc and not be the disabled person I am now.

My only symptoms were excruciating pain, hi sed rate, and inability to sleep. All these symptoms got worse and worse during the 6 months it took them to come up with poly diagnosis.

IMPORTANT fact I forgot to say is I went back to same big hospital, few years later, but saw a different rheumy and she said she didnt think I ever had poly. Its one of those diagnoses they often give when they dont know whats wrong with you and pumping you with that much steroids will make anyone feel better temporarily but there is a hugh price to pay in the end.

[This Message was Edited on 12/12/2005]

[ advertisement ]