Poodle puddles

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by laceymae, May 31, 2007.

1. laceymae

laceymae New Member

Haven't used this board yet, but I feel like I have found friends finally.
    Anybody have a toy poodle? Mine is 4 years old and we are having a power struggle. He is paper trained except when he decides to be mad about something, then he hikes everywhere he can reach.
    Is it possible to break him? I won't hit or swat at him so that is out of the question. He has a crate and alot of times after he has marked his spot he gets in the crate himself. He always tells on himself when he does this.
    Any suggestions. Thanks, Lacey
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

I am Carla, welcome to the board. There are 2 Carla's here, the other one goes by Carla-NL, she is froom the Netherlands.

I have 2 dogs, both female but I have never crated them. We live in the country and they are free but ususlly stick close to home, they have to protect it you know.

My daughter crate trained their Border Collie and what I have read on crates, they are never to be used as "punishment". It should represent a safe place. I had a poodle once and he was a spit fire. He was really my MIL dog that we took care of for a while, then we gave him back because we put new carpet in the house and he marked his spot the first day!

How old is he? Soometimes it just takes longer for some to get it and some do a temper. Be patient and only scold him if you catch him. If you see him going to a spot he likes but is not the paper spot just pick him up and redirect him and praise when he does it on his own.

Hopefully, more will be along and maybe have more helpful ideas. See ya around Carla or CK sometimes
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Welcome to this side of the board...

If all else fails with your poodle...you can always put a belly band on him. Those with serious lifting problems often do this. It's a band that fits around that particular area so they can't just lift and pee at will.

Is your male neutered? I know once they begin lifing, it's usually a very hard habit to break.

And the reason he gets in the crate afterwards is because it's his safe place and he feels comfortable. He's done his business, marked his spots and he's ready for a nap now.

Few more questions...do you have him up with you constantly? Does he sit in the chair with you, sleep with you? If so, you want to put him down on the floor and begin the process of altering the pecking order.

And also, we have some seriously great dog trainers on this board so you should be getting some help soon. If not, you can always add 'training problem' to your title so the ladies know it's for them.

Nancy B
  4. pat460

pat460 New Member

had a Poodle named Puddles who died last year.

Male dogs are so hard to train, especially after they've begun marking their territory on the inside. Neutering sometimes does help.

5. laceymae

laceymae New Member

Freeway is four and he hasen't been neutured. Not by my choosing either. I usually do that the first thing, but the family says I am cruel for doing it. Should have all of them neutured.
    He only does this if we go outside and don't take him along or at night when we are asleep. Seems like he is just doing it because he doesn't get his way.
    He sleeps with me, sits with me, usually always with me unless I am working in the garden or busy and can't take him out with me.
    It has me stumped, he sure is tempermental.
  6. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

You need to sit your family down and have a talk with them.

Neutering is not cruel, in fact just the opposite. It makes for happier healthier companions.

I lost my beautiful german shepard that i loved when he was three years old, because i refused to neuter him and didn't understand the nature of dogs.

He became very aggressive towards others, and possesive of me. He wasn't letting my husband in the house and would kill any other pet that i showed affection for.

I did not dare give this dog away, because i was afraid he would harm someone else. He only allowed me to handle him, And when i got pregnant i choose to put him down. I couldn't take the risk of him harming my baby.
    It was heartbreaking for me, like betraying a best friend.

I know your dog isn't as large and dangerous as a german shepard, but do him and your family a favor, neuter him.

He will be much happier with out those male hormones driving him, and frusterating him, and it won't harm him. A couple days of being abit uncomfortable for a life time of less stress, not driven by "male" needs.

I will never leave a male dog unneutered again after my experience, it cost me my best friend.

[This Message was Edited on 06/01/2007]
  7. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Lucky you, having a poodle!

As a dog loving asthmatic, I have only had poodles or poodle mixes and, until old age brings on incontinence, I've never had a problem with urinating or marking inside.

I think your little dog might not be sure just what is inside the den and what is outside because he's paper trained. I would wager that he never goes in his crate because he understands that to be the den.

Healthy dogs, aka "nose brains", will not foul the den but if the house smells like pee because they've used paper, well, why not pee in the house? I'm sure it doesn't smell like pee to people but a dog's sense of smell is vastly different from ours. It sounds as though he views the house as his territory while his crate is the den.

He may not mark while you're watching because he has come to believe that you don't like to watch him pee unless he's peeing on paper. He probably thinks you're a little eccentric that way!

Were I you, I'd do whatever it took to get him peeing outside the entire pack's den and not just outside his own.

Every single place he's ever marked will have to be neutralized with some kind of product made for this purpose and all papers would have to be removed and the area around them neutralized as well.

Once that was done, you'd have to train him again to get him to understand what is den and what is not. This will only work if every trace of pee scent is eliminated and it will still be a learning curve for him. He's not gonna get it over night but poodles are incredibly smart and he will catch on eventually.

I find a horrified gasp to be the most effective way to discipline dogs. Followed by a lot of ignoring interspersed with looks that say: I can't believe you really did that, I can barely look at you.

I know everyone says don't "punish" if you don't see the act but, once all else is in place, if you take your little dog to the place he marked, even if you didn't see him do it, and you sniff it with him right there he'll totally understand what you're upset about.

I laughed at "tells on himself"! They are so funny. When I come home to find a sheepish looking dog, I know I have to find the evidence! In my case, it's always something that I've left in reach (my bad) that has been eaten. When I find the wrapper, my current best friend looks away and whistles! Ok, he doesn't really whistle but he would if he had lips! Not reacting to the evidence just because I didn't actually see him eating would make him think I was a total idiot.

He knows what he did, I know what he did so, brandishing the evidence, I gasp, tell him what a terribly naughty dog he is and pretend that I cannot bring myself to look at him. This is very hard because he looks VERY cute when he's guilty but I insist that he earn his way back into my good graces.

My little guy is so committed to not fouling the den that whenever he is sick and gets the runs he goes as close to the door as he possibly can. No gasping ensues when I see it as he did the very best he could under the circumstances. While cleaning it up and looking into that poor, dejected little face, I tell him that it's ok, he couldn't help it. He understands that I am not saying poop in the den. He doesn't want to live in a fouled den any more than I do.

Long story longer, I don't think Freeway knows where his den begins and ends.

And, as others have said, he should be neutered. I figure, unless he gets to use it, he shouldn't be tormented by it. They have urges and even brilliant poodles cannot be convinced of the benefits of celibacy.

A dog isn't going to pee in his own den to get back at other pack members when he's miffed. He'll wait until you go outside and pee on your leg ;~).

Peace and poodles to you,

PS If he does mark when he's miffed he may be doing so to feel better about himself. ie: I'm p'd off (so to speak)so I think I'll go mark some of my territory to boost my self esteem.

Cats, on the other hand, will poop in your shoes!

[This Message was Edited on 06/01/2007]
  8. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

Perhaps a call to your vet, or even a dog training school. Normally I would say neutering helps, but at 4 years I am not sure.

Did you know that poodles are #2 on the dog intelligence chart, #1 is border collie.

Because of the intelligence of your dog, I suspect he is manipulating you in some way, but I would hope he can be broken of that bad habit.

I hope that people reading this thread have males neutered at 6 months. Easier to prevent habits than to cure them.

Sign me proud breeder of shih tzu. I showed and bred them for ten years, stopped back in 1989. I had 27 litters over a ten year period. Incidentally, although they are soooooooooo cute, they rank #70 out of 79 on the intelligence chart!

The one I have now I currently purchased 11 years ago and had shipped from CA when I lost the last dog in my "line". We always laugh as we call her the Blonde bimbo from CA. She has a solid red pedigree, with only 2 non champions in the sixth generation. I have yet to see a pedigree that can match her. But alas she was born without a white collar and was sold as a puppy, immediately eliminated from the show ring and as a brood bitch.

Good luck to you. My son has two black sister poodles and my daughter has one of the brothers. Their eyes are so human, I can see the intelligence. I might add the dogs are training my adult children quite well rather than the other way around!
  9. laceymae

laceymae New Member

thanks for all the advice, Freeway is due at the vet this month and I will have him neutured, He has 2 baby teeth that have to be pulled also, not going to be a happy camper.
    I have a white german shephard that is 11 years-old and I had him fixed at 4 months and my cats are always fixed. I rescue them from our local University. I've had a few strays lately though. I live in the country on a farm and I have 3 strays that stay in my barn.
    Also good to keep the snakes thinned out, the first part of spring we had 3 in my yard. Well actually 2 and 1 in the driveway where I almost stepped on it. they were copperheads so I walked lightly for a while.
    have a good weekend all...