Pool, hot tub, water therapy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by survive, Aug 19, 2003.

1. survive

survive New Member

Has anyone found that Pool, hot tub or some type of water therapy can help the FM?
  2. j9miller

j9miller New Member

I did the warm water pool therapy for a month. I liked it and I felt a little less stiff. I would reccommend it if it is something you are able to get to easily and afford.
    The movements are simple and the water feels good.
    I am thinking of getting a hot tub just for the relaxation and the "before bed" benefit. I need to get some sleep.
    Good luck!!

Janine
  3. shoshi68

shoshi68 New Member

I was on vacation with my family and sat in the jacuzzi after the day out. The hotel kept the water very warm, not hot. I have to say that I don't believe that I could have done as well as I did without it. I know that it felt so nice and it was so important to my ability to do stuff with the family.

good luck!
  4. IgotYou

IgotYou New Member

I've done pool aerobics and they were great. I don't have the time for it now, unfortunately. I also have a hot tub, which I'd use a lot more often if my husband didn't always want to turn my relaxation into a romantic interlude! It's very therapeutic if you can get into it alone and just relax. You sleep better and your muscles are less sore. Unfortunately, I'm too weak to take the cover off ours by myself, so I can't slip away into it and relax. If you ever get one, get a cover that has a mechanical lift type of thing on it so you don't have to wrestle with it every time.
  5. wle

wle New Member

my pool and whirlpool bathtub. Feel so relaxed after getting out of either. And in the pool or tub seems like the only place that I don't hurt. It is easier for me to exercise in the pool too. Even if I just "float" on a tube and kick my legs bike style.......WLE
  6. JP

JP New Member

Hello survive and welcome.

I use the water frequently. I have a pool and hot tub in my backyard. My pool is solar heated and is pretty warm, which helps. More than anything, I enjoy the water. I don't know how much it helps because I have chronic persistant pain (never pain free).

Give it a try...it won't hurt.
    Take care, Jan
  7. KellyT

KellyT New Member

I've done aqua-therapy, and found it to be very pleasant. It was generally low-impact, and it was wonderful to do ANY kind of work-out, after so long. However, at the time, I was on an HMO, and the doctor gave me ibuprophen, and instructed me to report to work after sessions. The ibupfophen (as you probably know) did absolutely nothing, and the unsupported workouts made work and life in general much worse.

So, a couple of points, here...

Exercise is great for fibro. Start with very low impact - such as aqua-therapy of tai-chi. Then, you need to support it with some combination (preferably all) of adequate pain medication, physical therapy, massage, and acupuncture. If you don't, you're going to increase your pain, and you might not get very far.

In regards to aqua-therapy, you should work out in a pool heated to a minimum of 88 degrees. This is optimum for muscle movement, and the key to this therapy. Regular swimming pools don't provide this.

Then once you get started, slowly increase whatever you're doing. And, make appointments... schedule with a physical therapist, personal trainer, or exercise buddy. If you can't, then at least write it into your planner, or on your calendar. If you make appointments, you're more likely to actually show up and do it. When you're in pain and exhausted all of the time, it's easy to just blow it off.

Hope this helps. Good luck. Kelly