Poor balance and foot pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klarry, Aug 24, 2010.

1. klarry

klarry New Member

Is poor balance part of fibromyalgia? I am experiencing balance issues. I feel like I am walking with an ungainly gait - the way you feel when you've been on a boat and return to land. I am also having multiple issues with my feet - pain in the area where the foot and lower leg join, pain in the soles, etc. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so what do you do for it? Thanks for any help that you can offer. This disease is a big challenge!
  2. Tizz

Tizz New Member

Yoga is good stuff; I used to do it all the time. But if your balance is REALLY poor there would be positions you just can't do.

I, too, have problems with balance (the neuro doc called it "ataxia"). I have an uneven, widespread walk --with stiff knees, and sometimes I stagger backwards/sideways. I also have foot pain, especially in the soles of my feet.

Unfortunately, I also have THE SAME QUESTION YOU DO...

3. klarry

klarry New Member

It's reassuring to know I'm not the only person who walks strangely. I find myself occasionally brushing door frames because my walk is so ungainly. Do you find one kind of shoe better? I have orthotics, but they don't do much for my odd walk and strangely arched foot. Combined with ongoing lower back pain, general tiredness, etc. it's hard to stay positive!
  4. ellikers

ellikers New Member

That's a fairly common symptom of FMS from what I have read and been told.

I used to stumble and trip a LOT more than I do now ... I think the physical therapy I've been doing over the summer has improved it because I was moving my muscles in a really uncoordinated way, even when walking or picking things up and not trying to exercise or anything.

That might be something that a skills physical therapist could help with. I know strengthening but more importantly STABILIZING core muscles (abs, chest, back) and hips can help improve balance and moving around.
  5. Tizz

Tizz New Member

...with flexibility and, I think, helped somewhat with cramping/spasms.

It doesn't seem to have improved my balance problems or foot pain though :(

6. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

In your search to find the root cause of your symptoms, please consider that Borrelia and Babesia infections can cause balance problems and off balance/tippy feelings.

Bartonella infection is known for causing pain in the soles of the feet.

These infections are often found together.

Here is some info...symptom list pages 9-11 and coinfection info pages 22-27...

Also has very good info and symptom list....

[This Message was Edited on 08/27/2010]
  7. amomwithsickkids

amomwithsickkids New Member

I was going to say what Nanie did. Balance problems are a sign of neurological Lyme. Pain in the soles of the feet can be from bartonella and from what I have heard babesia as well. These symptoms can be from other things but it's important to rule out Lyme and the mess that comes with it.
  8. quanked

quanked Member

I have balance problems as well. Somedays it feels like I walk leaning to one side. I have not felt coordinated for some years now but some days are worse than others. I have times when I trip a lot. I have times that when I lean over, like to pull a weed, I start to fall forward. Sometimes it makes me laugh but most of the time I am a bit worried when it happens.

I also have been having lots of foot pain for several months now. My doc said it sounded like plantar fasciitis. I realized that she was right when she was speaking to me. I had the same problem with my other foot several years ago. I dug out my very expensive orthotics yesterday and WoW! I did all my walking yesterday without a limp! How I could forget the other foot I do not know. I know it will take awhile but my condition will improve now.

I have, over the last 12-14 years, had periods where the soles of me feet have sore spots. I have never known what causes these sore spots. It is odd to me but they go away only to return months or years later.

From what I have read the balance issue is part of the cfids/me/fm symtomology.

So you have a lot clumsy company ; )