Poor circuln. to feet and lower legs, feel cold?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jen F, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Hi.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so, do you find anything that helps or has fixed it?

Unless it is really really warm, my feet feel cold, and now it's my lower legs too.

During the heat wave I was roasting and feet were too hot, but now that it's a comfortable 25- 28 my feet are back to being chilly. Last night I was wearing wool socks, today it's knee socks and sweat pants when most people would be wearing shorts.

I had a long shower/bath in really hot water and then went outside into the sun and walked for a bit, which helped, but now they are chilly again and it feels uncomfortabled.

Could this be from overdoing it a bit during the blackout? I know my legs were sore from going up and down my stairs with ice and with stuff to carry to the barbecue, etc.

Maybe the circulation will improve as the lactic acid gets removed over the next few days?

But the problem with my feet has been a long term one.

Also, they sweat even though don't feel hot.

What's up with that?

A naturopath said that's toxins coming out. ????

Anyone else have such a problem with cold feet?

This past winter my winter wool socks [including mountaineering "30 below" wool socks] were not enough to keep my feet warm and I was just getting to the point of having to look into special very expensive thermal socks, like ones that are warmed with batteries, or Sealskins, or ones from Nikken with some sort of heat reflective material woven into fabric -- all very expensive. But then the weather warmed up, and my wool socks were good enough.

I am in my 30's. The only people I know with this severe of a problem are in their 70's.

Thanks.

Jen F.
  2. kgg

kgg New Member

of this DD. Some would suggest that you might have hypercoagulation from a stealth infection. Do a message search above on hypercoagulation and also on mycoplasm. It also is a symptom of hypothroid. Have you had any thyroid levels done?

I moved to Arizona from Maine because I just couldn't do another winter of cold. I'd get goosebumps in 85 degree weather! The 2 baths a day are what got me through.

I'd be interested in what others have to say. Let us know if you find something that helps. -Karen

3. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Whew...when I saw your reply indicator in my email and that those are all symptoms of...

my heart rate went up, worried about new diagnosis.

then I read "this DD"

oh. okay. Whew. sort of.

Yes, hypothyroidism is a problem for me. My blood test results all come back normal, but are LOW normals and my basal body temp is low, so I pushed for meds and they started to help a bit, but then I tried Naturopathy and took homeopathics instead which I didn't find helped me personally in this area. I want to resume thyroid meds but am afraid to do so while there is a chance of intense heat in the summer, as I know someone who was made more heat intolerant by the meds. I can't tolerate the cold, but neither am I good with the intense heat waves we get here either. So, I am trying to wait until fall to resume thyroid meds.

Maybe I should look into hypercoagulation more. I have heard it mentioned on this board, but I must admit I haven't yet managed to research it. So much on my plate right now.

thanks very very much for the response.

This is the first time I've had someone mention a cold butt. Sometimes my "cheeks" are ice cold and it's uncomfortable!

Congrat's on your move to Arizona. IIRC, PACKMAN from this board did the same thing.

Jen.
  4. EZBRUZR

EZBRUZR New Member

b
    u
    m
    p :}

eZ
  5. jofla

jofla New Member

My feet get cold too and they sweat when they are not hot.
    Pretty weird. I asked a doc about the sweating feet my hands sweat too and he said some people suffer from heat syndrome in the summer!?! I guess he didn't know either. LOL. Anyways doc said the cold feet would be due to circulation problem...Raynauds Phenomenon. Thats pretty common in people with fm.
    Have a good day, jen

Jo
  6. 2girls

2girls New Member

Count me in - I am comfortable in 30celcuis+ weather. Anything less, I must wear socks in the house because I just can't get warm. I wear heavy PJ's in summer for goodness sake. I dread September with it's season change as automn is my worst time adjusting to the temp change.

Jen - I bought ankle socks that heat up in the microwave at Walmart. I use these in automn & winter.

I have had my thyroid checked many times - normal.

I guess it's just another fibro thing.

2girls
  7. underwhelmed

underwhelmed New Member

Dear Jen,

You are definitely not alone with the cold feet thing. Mine have always been cold, regardless of warm weather. Now I seem to have the coldest hands in the world too. Doctors have recently said that it's Reynauds, but there doesn't appear to be an underlying cause for it.

As I also have low blood pressure, I wonder if this affects my circulation?

Afraid I don't have any miracle cures for it, but I do have to sleep with a hot water bottle at my feet - otherwise the cold would keep me awake!

P.S. I'm in my mid twenties, so not necessarily an 'oldies' complaint!

8. 2girls

2girls New Member

Your theory is certainly plausable - problem is not all docs are aware of this. I mentioned it to mine and I think he was insulted and flat out told me no, hypercoagulation is not the cause. It does make alot of sense to me and it sounds like you have a cutting edge doc open to new ideas. I wish they were all like that.

Is there a way to address hypercoagulation in a natural manner - ie no meds?

BTW - love your research!!

2girls
  9. 2girls

2girls New Member

Thanks for the info. I have in fact been taking OLE for about 8 months on & off (more on than off). The only difference I can actually notice is that it clears the excess mucous/less post nasal drip.
    I will try the bromelain along side the OLE. I'm guessing this is a very long process.

Thanks again,
    2girls
  10. Jen F

Jen F New Member

esp the one who said their upper body can be too hot, but their lower legs and feet too cold -- that's me lately, except when it's 38C lately and then I'm too hot all over, esp my head...

anyhow, thank you all for responding. I will definitely be addressing the thyroid and/or hypercoagulation in the future.

I also am interested in natural approaches to treating hypercoagulation as I would bet I can't find a doc in toronto treating it who would give me heparin. What are natural blood thinners??

Thank you so much everybody, including EZ for bumping for me!!

Jen F
  11. Chrissy3

Chrissy3 New Member

Hi Jen, my hot water bottle is my best friend and I am NOT allowed to put my feet anywhere near my Fiance at all!!

My hands are the same and my fingernails often look very bluish in colour. Also have low blood pressure.
  12. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Do they help?

I have gingko here, but haven't tried it yet since I got started with other stuff and don't like to try too much new at once.

Aspirin is easily available and cheap.

Jen
  13. Chrissy3

Chrissy3 New Member

Hi Jen Ive been taking ginkgo for a while and it doesnt seem to help at all with the cold extremeties. I have noticed I am bruising very easily and am wondering if it is due to the gingko.

Chrissy
  14. Jen F

Jen F New Member

yeah, I would suspect it might be cause of the gingko you are bruising easily...

disappointing to hear isn't helping with extremeties.

does it help your cognition?

thanks.
    jen F
  15. Chrissy3

Chrissy3 New Member

Hi Jen, I think it does help a bit with cognition although I go through phases and am bad especially if I dont get enough sleep.

Hope you are having a good day,

Chrissy x
  16. jjblessed

jjblessed New Member

ALTHOUGH YOUR CONDITION "MIGHT" NOT BE ANYTHING SERIOUS, IT IS "POSSIBLE" THAT IT COULD BE MIMICKING SEVERAL OTHER SERIOUS PHENOMENONS/SYNDROMES -- REYNAUDS SYNDROME, OR SOMETHING SERIOUSLY NEROULOGICAL, AND EVEN MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS. BE THOROUGHLY TESTED BY A NEUROLOGIST QUICKLY !!!
    I USE TO HAVE THE SAME SYMPTOMS MYSELF AND HAVE KNOWN OTHERS WHO DID TOO. SOME HAD REYNAUDS SYNDROME WHILE OTHERS HAD NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS, EVEN MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS. THE WARNING IS, BE THOROUGHY EXAMINED BY A NEUROLOGIST AND TRY TO GET A DEFINITIVE DIAGNOSIS!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/21/2003]
  17. lease79

lease79 New Member

asessed by a neurologist, so I know that it's not MS. My dr told me it is poor circulation. I have no idea why & with me it came on suddenly about 2 years ago.
    My legs are purple & mottled & my feet are freezing :(

Lease
  18. tansy

tansy New Member

even in my arms. Get a lot of blood pooling too and I always had low blood pressure. Problems have been compunded by postural intolerance and heatwaves this summer.
    At least being so bad this year it brought the whole thing to light.

I also find if I go beyond my safe level of physical actitivity my circulation gets worse instead of better as it would for others.

I am addressing this is many ways but one of the most important is using bromelain to break down fibrin.

I've ended up addresing most of the factors in my DD, started in one area then found this board and now on a very comprehensive and holistic programms including just a few prescribed meds.

Are you going to have your thyroid checked out again because that can affect all the problems you're having. Natural therapists can do wonders but in the past I've been concerned by their optimism over some treatments, persuading their clients to give up essential meds and then seeing unneccessary suffering as a result.

I'm a great believer in researching then going for that gut feeling when it comes to important decisions.

Good luck hope you get it sorted.

Love

Tansy
  19. lovereading

lovereading New Member

Hi,

I just found this thread and each comment has been so helpful -- if only to make me feel that I'm not alone in my "weirdness"! Wow -- cold butt, too! That's me.

I'm also curious, however, if any of you have trouble with extremely hot weather? I had thought about moving to AZ, too, because the winters in MD (and they're mild compared to my home, the upper Midwest/Central Plains!) are torture. Yet the summers here are, too -- but is it the humidity added to the heat? (usually really high for both)
    I know the heat in AZ is worse, but I've heard is dry. What do you all think?

Thanks,
    Mary in MD
  20. Solstice

Solstice New Member

What is natto-K?

Can you tell us more about how you have been helped with the circulation problem?

[ advertisement ]