Poor Man's Carwash

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Or, in my case, poor woman's carwash. As y'all know, I've been rundown for a while and have let unnecessary things slip. My vehicle is filthy and I have to get it to the carwash. Down here in SW FL, we are expecting heavy rain this evening, so I moved it out from under the carport to a guest spot to let the rain wash of one or two layers of filth. It won't be enough to get it clean but it will make it easier when I get to the carwash. I don't use the auto washes; I use the coin-operated, do-it-yourself bays. As I type, I can hear the thunder rolling, so I expect Mother Nature will be washing things here soon. I can't decide whether I'm resourceful or lazy---maybe a little of each :)

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I hear ya! The price of everything is going up. For those of us who have always been used to doing things ourselves, it's hard when our bodies can no longer do what they used to be able to do. I've been so run down with these sinus infections for months that my body just has no endurance. Of course, it's a downward spiral. When we get too tired to be active, our muscles atrophy and it makes it even harder to do anything. I go into what I call, Survival Mode, where I only do what is absolutely necessary to keep the health dept. from closing me down :)

It's our dry season here so a gully washer is a real treat. We need it. Even the jungle will catch on fire when it gets dry enough.

Take care.

Love, Mikie
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We are under a tornado watch. Maybe Mother Nature will simply take my vehicle away.

Love, Mikie
  4. jole

jole Member

Sorry, being from KS tornados are not funny, just the way you put it. Hope you're safe 'n sound! I love having the car washed by rain, but even better is snow. It gets the dirt off better and leaves it shine for some reason. I'm guessing that's not enough incentive to get you to head north though.......Jole
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

No, tornados are not funny. We actually get quite a few of them down here, often associated with our infamous hurricanes. I wasn't sure I was going to make it when I was curled up on the bathroom floor as Hurricane Charley destroyed buildings near me and wadded up bleachers at the high school football field as though they were made of paper. I once felt air moving fast under the door which meant that there was a terrific low pressure area on top of our bldg. I thought for sure the roof was going to blow off. The wall next to me shook like in an earthquake. Still, we use humor to try to distill our fear of what Mother Nature can stir up.

My Mom was from NE so she was no stranger to tornados either. I use to tease her and call her, Flatlander (at the time, I lived in CO). About the only thing the Denver area gets is blizzards but tornados are rampant to the East on the plains.

Ah, good times--NOT! Sorry, I didn't mean to make light of a serious condition; it's just how I roll.

Love, Mikie
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

I owned a BMW for a short while. I put a sticker on it that said, "DO NOT WASH Undergoing scientific research re: dirt" or something to that effect.

I only had women, ever, tell me they loved that bumper sticker. The guys just sadly shook their heads ... LOL. Some of them questioned me, they just couldn't believe I could have that attitude.

I still have that attitude. I have not replaced my bumper because I've had 3 different people hit it. Once it was in a parking lot and I didn't know who did it; second time also in a parking lot and I got a replacement; 3rd time, I was slowing to turn and someone rear-ended me- only hurt the bumper, but took off. So, it looks bad, the plastic bumper/cover is all torn apart. Everybody likely thinks I'm a terrible driver-- and stays out of my way, I hope!

<grin>
    Victoria

7. jole

jole Member

....and I love the car/boyfriend!! LOL....made my day, thanks!! :)
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have a new laptop and wiped out the post about the boyfriend and my answer to you both. Sooooo, I'm starting over.

The night of the big rain, there were 75 tornados in FL. One just east of us, in a nice little rural area, tore the roofs off of mobile homes. I had heard a huge roll of thunder and saw a big flash of lightening during the storm. Guess it was the one which shot through the roof of a home here in town and burned a hole from the roof to the rug. It hit right in the middle of the family room where everyone was gathered around watching TV. YIKES! They were lucky.

All I got was a nice carwash and that's all I wanted.

Hope you are both doing well.

Love, Mikie
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is still good; the water just beaded up. My Highlander is eight years old but still looks almost new. Only 39,000 miles on it. I intend to try to make it my last new car. Toyotas should run almost forever. My daughter's 4-Runner is about 14 years old and still going strong and she drives a lot more than I do. I use synthetic oil now. It costs more per oil change but I only have to change it twice a year. I still love this vehicle. For years, I only drove sporty drop tops but when I got sick, it got more and more difficult to climb into them. I just step up into this one. It's not as high up as the 4-Runner; it's just right. Call me Goldilocks :)

Love, Mikie