popping joints

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jetmek, Oct 4, 2002.

1. jetmek

jetmek New Member

anyone have this i get up and you can hear my hips and knees neck and spine pop very loudly to the point some times that people get grossed out and i sometimes need help popping them back into place but my tendons are fine according to the dr. If my joints are ok why do i have to wear knee ankle and wrist braces when it gets bad and i mean the heavy duty robo cop type?
  2. jetmek

jetmek New Member

anyone have this i get up and you can hear my hips and knees neck and spine pop very loudly to the point some times that people get grossed out and i sometimes need help popping them back into place but my tendons are fine according to the dr. If my joints are ok why do i have to wear knee ankle and wrist braces when it gets bad and i mean the heavy duty robo cop type?
  3. sean

sean New Member

I get joints popping, cracking, and clicking. In my left knee, shoulder, hip, and in my neck. I get a feeling as though the joints are out of place. I know they are not out of place and I don't need to pop them back as you do. I also get a cracking sound in the left knee, and clicking in the wrists and ankles. I think it is due to the muscle spasms associated with FMS, as your skeleton is supported by muscle tissue. I have hurt my ankles, due to this, a feeling of them being sprained.
  4. JP

JP New Member

There are many reasons why joints pop. You might want to follow up with another doc by the sound of your condition and need for braces.

Most of my large joints pop due to osteoarthritis (common condition), confirmed by x-ray. I also have it in my back. With osteoarthritis there is a deficiency in bone resorption. This causes excess bone growth (spurs) and other lovely things to occur. My knee would lock and pop, causing pain and swelling due to an injury. There was a coin size artifact lodging in the joint, causing the locking and popping.

Well, I need to pop along now...

5. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Me, too, for the popping sounds that are more like a loud snap or a wooden ruler slammed against a desk (maybe bad memories of elementary school?)

Mine have been determined to result from benign hypermobility syndrome & I've been told not to worry about the noise. Thing is, I can feel vibrations from the snapping. It's as if a pebble has been dropped into a pond & the water ripples outward.

The worst sound is when I turn over in bed from one side to the other; first the shoulder, then the elbow, then the hip, then the ankle. Talk about a symphony of nasty sounds. Bummer...

Best thoughts.