PORCH #1030 IS NOW CLOSED (1/8/18)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

room2.jpg

Hi, Kids,

It's time for a new Porch. Come on in and sit a spell.

After I posted this morning, I started to feel sicker and sicker. My ears were plugged and I started to feel dizzy. I did manage to do a couple of loads of laundry but had problems with everything I've tried to do. I ended up cancelling the doc appt. because I couldn't drive feeling dizzy. I'm not going to make another one until I'm sure this crud is gone. My friend, Claudia is still sick too. In fact, she's worse. Joe has bronchitis and the ABX have done no good. He went to the urgent care clinic and the doc gave him steroids. I think he's still smoking so that will make things worse. I don't ask about it because it's his business and I don't want to nag at him but I wish he would quit.

DOF called from his son's in Chicago. They were going to see the assisted living facility today. He sounds so good with his family all around. I think they are really glad to have him nearby. When they went outside the airport, it was only eight degrees out. The kids had brought the car right up to the door but he about froze just walking the few steps to the car. He called it culture shock. So, I heard from both my men today and all is well.

Duckie, I remember those slushy days with overheated rooms. Also walking on slick parking lots. Be careful.

Barry, yes I do know what you mean. Sounds to me as though you are cozy, cozy, cozy. What a lovely way to remember the pets. Very sweet.

Sun, so sorry about the head and neck pain and all the problems with mailing. I hope you feel better following your nap.

Love, Mikie
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    dmcduck, bct and springwater like this.
  2. springwater

springwater Well-Known Member

Mikie - woah. Interesting room! Look at that painting. Late 1700s kids? And that wheel barrow. Did they fix granite sink on it and make it a table? That sofa cover reminded me of Dennis the Menace comic strips. Balmy days, homework. School. Looking after me toddler brother. I want to read that book. I read Princess Diana's books, written by her housekeeper and a healer and her bodyguard...they showed a very different side to what was normally shown but they gave fascinating glimpses into Royal life. You know how some people are fascinated with Royalty and their lifestyle? Yep, I'm one of them. It was an eye opener to read Queen Elizabeth stood in the downstairs kitchens cutting up liver to feed her posse of corgis. And that the staff baked scones for tea which she mostly tossed to the corgis who whirled, yelped, jumped for them.

I hope this nasty cold and crud leaves you and your friends. My DD used to get horrible colds in the U.S. I think they have more virulent strains there. The only thing to do at the moment seems to be to rev up the immune system.

Dmc - I loved the snowy scene. You remind me of a cousin on DHs side. She is so talented and handy at artsy things, my house is filled with stuff she has given me. Table wipers, crocheted table mats, and a hand drawn and sparkle decorated Christmas card cum invitation to a Christmas dinner she and her sisters cooked up when she was 19. Complete with handwritten and created menu. Made a different one for each of us..me and my two kids.

I love the snowy scene. If you can produce so much and do so much even having a horrible thing like Fibro, it scares me to think what you could achieve being healthy!! I'm sure you could be President if you didn't hv to deal with bouts of Fibro pain and Fibro fog. When I look at Madam Chancellor of Germany, I feel a sense of trust. She looks so strong, unruffled, no nonsense and capable. I need one person like that in my family. Alas, we are all ....errr....mad.

Granni - I hope the testimony goes off fine. Will be a relief to get it over with. It's been going on for a while now..

Barry - very sweet about the doggie memorial board. I've never heard of that before.

Rock - hope the computer problem is solved. I lost couple of paragraphs because my battery finished.

Since it's cold. I'm avoiding going out. Im trying to read some books I bought and hv in stock. Also trying out hot drinks which aren't tea. Need to ration my tea intake. Which the cold weather is driving to unhealthy levels. Hot.lemon ginger. But it doesn't give the kick tea does. I will hv to make ginger ale if I am to make cranberry punch. Also think I have to buy soda. Never hv ever bought soda.

God bless
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    dmcduck, bct and Mikie like this.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Tuesday Morning, Dear Porchies,

Woke up with very stuffy nose and feeling dizzy. I need to go to the store but don't know whether I will. I probably have enough milk for tomorrow's coffee but will run out. I need eggs to because that breakfast pudding I make uses a lot of them for the custard. I am so inert and sleeping a lot but that's what I need to get well. My friend, Claudia, is also sleeping as much as she can. There's nothing else to report since I'm doing nothing.

Spring, yes, this room is interesting. People who love antiques like to use them in place of other things, like end tables and coffee tables. I think that is a wooden child's wagon with metal wheels. They make nice tables. I even think I can read the name, Coaster Express, on the side. Some also use old wooden sleds for tables. There is a wooden high chair by the window. I love the old wood chest in front of the two chairs. All in all, it's a cozy setting. I've been fascinated by the British Royal Family since I was a child. I think it's because my Mom and I went to a friend's house to watch Queen Elizabeth's coronation. My Mom, being Irish through and through, was not a big fan but it was a truly historic event. Everyone agreed that the queen looked so young and vulnerable. Evidently, her father's illness was far worse than people knew. His death came as a surprise to many but wouldn't have had they known how ill he was. She promised to devote her life to her country and certainly has.

I think Princess Diana was struggling with emotional problems stemming from her own family's upheaval and was thrown into royal life with no preparation. No wonder it didn't work out. Despite all the pomp, the queen is a practical person which always surprises people. She worked as a mechanic for the military during WWII and knows a thing or two about vehicles. I always get a kick out of seeing her in her rubber boots and a head scarf. It's wonderful to see that Prince Harry is going to marry Meghan Markle. I hope they, and Prince William and Katherine, live happily ever after.

I don't blame you for not wanting to go out in the cold. I didn't when it was cold here. It's heating back up so I have no excuse except for feeling crappy. I think I'll start drinking my Constant Comment Tea. I also like the fizzy soda which feels good on my sore throat. Stay in and enjoy reading. I'll be getting back to my book too.

Hope we hear from our other Porchies. Hope Granni's testimony went well. Also hope everydobby has a great day.

Love, Mikie
    dmcduck and bct like this.
  4. dmcduck

dmcduck Well-Known Member

Good morning everyone!

Gonna be another warm day in the office. It's already 79, and only 22% humidity. The warmth is making me drowsy, especially since I slept poorly last night.

Sun - Each of the small squares were embroidered individually. The most time consuming part is changing the thread for each color. Once they were done, I trimmed them down and sewed them together with the sashing and borders. The sets were meant to be individual wall hangings, but I put them all together. I'm going to finish the quilt in the cross shape. I love doing unusual things like that.

Wow...went up to 81 degrees while I was typing this. We might be cracking a window soon.

Mikie - good choice not driving while you are dizzy.

Barry - I love picturing you with a dog draped around your neck. I had a little black cat who spent every evening sitting on my chest. Fortunately, she was a little cat (~5lbs) so it wasn't uncomfortable, but it was hard to get anything done.

Granni - hope you stop in soon and let us know how things went yesterday.

Spring - I often laugh and say to myself that if I had been a gentleman's daughter in the 1700's, I would have been "the highly accomplished young lady" as there are few crafts I haven't tried.

Star - hope you stop back in soon as well. We'd love to know how the camping trip went.

Rock - hope the computer woes get over soon.

Hope everyone else is having a great day!
    Mikie and bct like this.
  5. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

Mikie: I'm sorry you and your friends are all sick. I guess with some colds they're brutal and can easily go into something else. Maybe you need to go to urgent care. Is there someone "healthier" who can drive you? The dizzies are no fun.....I've lived with them since the early days of meniers.

Love the pic. Looks like a pic straight out of Country Living magazine. Or may Victoria magazine. I used to take both of them and "craved" everything I saw.

Spring: I also greatly admired Princess Diana, but in the last couple of years I really see Prince Charles in a much better light.

Duck: Were the embroidered sections plain fabric to start with or did you do cut and sew/appliqué or what? Like I said a huge amount of work.

Barry: Next time I go to Lowes I'll see if they still have that grey plant and then I'll write it down.

I woke this morning with the pool a mess from the rain. The neighbor has a podocarpus that is a nightmare for my pool. It continually drops large berries the size of giant olives and the needle leaves. Then the pool sweep gears get choaked and I have to remove it, open the back up and take out the berries. This morning there was a huge branch that had broken off and fell into the pool and I must have picked up over 100 of these berries.....there's also maybe 25 in the bottom of the pool. Then the motor is not working right so called my pool guy who told me just to turn it off and he'll be here on thursday. Sigh.
    dmcduck and Mikie like this.
  6. dmcduck

Sun - they start out as individual pieces of fabric (with stabilizer behind them). Then the machine stitches the design on.
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

Was here early this morning, but couldn't sign in. We'll see what happens now. Thank you all
    for your messages in my absence. I especially liked the ones that said: Just noticed you haven't
    been around; missed you more than I expected; I suppose you'll eventually come back. :rolleyes:

Rained all last night and off and on today. I'm happy to report the cat has found a place where
    she can get out of the wet. Don't know where it is though. When it's raining I've been letting
    her in the back porch while she eats. She's very antsy. Needs a lot of coaxing to come in.
    Then keeps looking around anxiously and bolts outside after a few bites. Definitely a skitty kitty.

Duckie, I guess your little cat would rather be on a chest than on a hot, tin roof. Funny that
    it's so much hotter where you are than here. We had rain all last night and off and on all day.
    Supposed to be in the 60s and 70s the next ten days. Yes, in the past young ladies from
    well to do families had to learn to embroider and sing or play the piano as well as how to
    manage the servants and run a household. How to give a tea or a wedding party, etc. In
    other words how to act like Melanie rather than Scarlet.

Sun, I never heard of a podacarpus. It sounds like some sort of sea going mammal related to
    the walrus and seals that lives in pods. I admire your determination to keep the garden and
    pool looking nice. As Keats said, "A thing of beauty is a joy forever." This of course is
    complete nonsense, but poetry has its own requirements. Beautiful things wear out,
    or die, or age, or rust, or etc.

Thanks for starting us up with the nostalgic pic, Mikie. Reminds me of the living room of
    my mother's friend. It had several painted oil lamps and spinning wheels as well as some
    old odds and ends like candle sticks and snow globes.

We had a wagon when I was a kid, but it wasn't red. It was turquoise. Have no idea why.
    Maybe it was made by the same folks that manufactured our two aqua lawn chairs. I saw an even older wagon in Salt Lake City. It was the one that carried Brigham Young to Utah in the
    middle of the 19th century.

You think that fabric is gingham? Looks like the stuff the pioneers used; also pioneer
    pizza parlors. BTW, did you see the news. A woman taking a nap on the floor wound
    up with the roomba eating her hair. She eventually called the fire dept. (The story
    did not address why she was napping on the floor.)

Spring, I am so old I remember when the Dennis the Menace comic strip was new. I
    was in 5th grade. My favorites were Dick Tracey and Lil Abner. Like almost every
    thing else, the comics were better way back when. But some things weren't. For example,
    technicolor movies, recorded music and household appliances.

And speaking of electronic mishaps, I was playing a hand of solitaire on the computer a
    few minutes ago when it when went coco poofs cuckoo. Some of the cards that turned
    up had no numbers. Were just green or brown rectangles. And some of the cards had
    already been played. The standard deck does not have two Aces of Hearts. I was able to
    solve the problem in the traditional way. Turned the machine off for ten minutes.

Hugs Barry, Julie, Granni, Star, GB
    Rock

dmcduck, bct, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  8. dmcduck

Haha, Rock! It's only been 80 degrees in the office, where our climate control has a mind of its own. Outside has been in the 30s and 40s, although tomorrow we are supposed to rocket up to almost 60, followed by a plummet back to the 30s on Friday.
  9. sunflowergirl

Rock: I think the computer game was telling you "game over, sorry you lost". It's awful how we're being run by machines! My SIL has offered giving me his old Iphone but I've refused, I'm perfectly happy with my little flip phone which I only keep for emergency when I'm out and about. He keeps telling me that then I could just check the internet, etc. without having to be at home. No thank you. I see everyone walking around tied to their phone. People can't even walk down the street without texting, or checking for messages, etc. The big joke is kids can't carry on a conversation anymore.....they even texts their friends sitting right next to them. Actually not a joke, sad is the proper word.

I did a search on podocarpus....didn't know there were soooo many varieties.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podocarpus

My son had been feeding two feral cats at his house for the last 4 mos. He said NO way was he wanting a house cat, that they could live outside and catch all the rats and mice. So about a month ago when it was starting to get really cold the one would venture inside the house to eat from a bowl, but the other one was scared and wouldn't even get near my son. So a week later he tells me the cat is now living in the house....snow outside....but the other one still wouldn't get near. So this little guy has now relented and come inside ONLY to eat from a bowl my son holds. I'm laughing at the last picture he sent, the permanent cat, Blackjack, now has a little collar with her name and his cell # on it. And he tells me she is the most photogenic cat ever! HA. HA. HA. Hooked by a little cat.

My SIL picked up his dog, Savannah,last evening. I haven't talked to my DD yet other than to just call yesterday morning for a few minutes. They had gotten in LATE and she said she felt like a zombie. She fights adrenal fatigue. While there she got this bad cold and was down for the count in the condo for 3 days while everyone else went to have fun. Then because she has bad sinus troubles and with the cold apparently the landing was AWFUL for the pain in sinuses.

I've been so tired this past week so went to bed at 8 PM. So of course, here I am after 5 hrs. And up with FM pain and cant sleep anymore.

Mikie: I've got two of those wooden chests like in the pic. One is a painted one, probably from Penn. One of the hand fashioned hinges is broken so I need to search for some type of replacement. The other one is out in the garage, filled with legoes. Neither one can be used as a coffee table though. As I've mentioned before, I spent years running to garage sales, estate sales, flea markets, searching.....now here I am....trying to sell it all and lighten up. Looking back I should have spent my spare time and $ doing other endeavors. Although for the 5 years I've been selling on Etsy, I have been able to get my $ back plus but it's such work!!!!! Except.....antique quilts are DEAD IN THE WATER.

Duck: Maybe you could write a story centered around quilt making. What could help would be one of those popular fun movies where the set is decorated with antique quilts. ......think Diane Keaton starring in it. That's what would make people want to buy again.

Star: How are things going down there? Hope you're feeling better. I've heard there's a lot of HEAT in your country. Is it affecting you?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...bb1e4b0d614e48aa7a6?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000618
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    dmcduck, bct, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Wednesday Morning, Dear Ones,

My cold is trying to morph into a sinus infection. I'm going to fill a sock with rice and put it into the microwave so I can put it on my face. I've been using Nasacort and colloidal silver in my nose. The colloidal silver usually keeps the sinuses from getting infected. I hope it works so I don't have to take ABX. Claudia isn't feeling well yet either. I didn't talk to Joe yesterday so don't know how he's doing. I'm bored with TV and reading but don't feel up to doing much else. I'm going to take a shower and go to Publix today. I have to. That will be all I get done.

Duckie, I don't envy your being inside in the heat. That used to make me feel awful when it was cold outside and stifling inside. I like it cool. I'd rather layer up and keep it cool inside than run the heat like that. Some big office buildings are really difficult to keep at a comfortable temp. Keep your cool.

Sun, if I need to see a doc, I could go see my PCP; no need to go to urgent care unless it's evening or weekend day. I'll keep trying to heal this on its own. Mucus is still clear and that's a good sign. I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. Hope you are better. By law, can't you cut the branches which reach over the property line and cause so much trouble? You might ask the tree guy. Nothing wrong with the old flip phones but the smart phones are sooo nice. I have always had a smart phone but now have my DSIL's old iPhone and it's even better. There is so much you can do with them. They can be used as a flashlight, a calculator and a compass. I love the weather app which tells me, hour by hour, what the temps will be. I can also look up the weather for anywhere else. These are not super important things but are so very convenient. Can you give DS's iPhone a try? You might end up loving it. Do you ever watch Antiques Roadshow? Lately, they rerun old shows and let you know what those values are today. Some go up and some go down, depending on the demand for those particular items. Feel better. BTW, I'm smiling at the dear little kitty that captured DS's heart.

Rock, I play solitaire on the Surface notebook computer because that's about all it's good for. It often does crazy things. When it starts that monkey business, I sign out and sign back in again to clear it up. No need to even turn it off. I decided to read the Steele Dossier last night. It's a pdf file and the Surface worked well for that. I'm knocking on wood but the FPOC seems to be working better (til it doesn't :(). I'm so glad Miss Kitty has found a dry spot in the rain. Cats are very resourceful. Ones which live outside usually never get completely comfortable because they have to be alert for danger. They don't feel secure someplace where there is only one escape route. I used to feel old Simon outside where there were two ways he could escape if he had to. Still, he was ever alert to every sound and sight. What a sad way to live. SV, on the other hand, feels secure enough to sleep on his back with his legs splayed out and the hair on his undercarriage waving in the breeze.

OK, gonna go fix that rice sock. I hope everydobby is feeling well.

Love, Mikie

Starlight74 and bct like this.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Wednesday Morning, Dear Ones,

My cold is trying to morph into a sinus infection. I'm going to fill a sock with rice and put it into the microwave so I can put it on my face. I've been using Nasacort and colloidal silver in my nose. The colloidal silver usually keeps the sinuses from getting infected. I hope it works so I don't have to take ABX. Claudia isn't feeling well yet either. I didn't talk to Joe yesterday so don't know how he's doing. I'm bored with TV and reading but don't feel up to doing much else. I'm going to take a shower and go to Publix today. I have to. That will be all I get done.

Duckie, I don't envy your being inside in the heat. That used to make me feel awful when it was cold outside and stifling inside. I like it cool. I'd rather layer up and keep it cool inside than run the heat like that. Some big office buildings are really difficult to keep at a comfortable temp. Keep your cool.

Sun, if I need to see a doc, I could go see my PCP; no need to go to urgent care unless it's evening or weekend day. I'll keep trying to heal this on its own. Mucus is still clear and that's a good sign. I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. Hope you are better. By law, can't you cut the branches which reach over the property line and cause so much trouble? You might ask the tree guy. Nothing wrong with the old flip phones but the smart phones are sooo nice. I have always had a smart phone but now have my DSIL's old iPhone and it's even better. There is so much you can do with them. They can be used as a flashlight, a calculator and a compass. I love the weather app which tells me, hour by hour, what the temps will be. I can also look up the weather for anywhere else. These are not super important things but are so very convenient. Can you give DS's iPhone a try? You might end up loving it. Do you ever watch Antiques Roadshow? Lately, they rerun old shows and let you know what those values are today. Some go up and some go down, depending on the demand for those particular items. Feel better. BTW, I'm smiling at the dear little kitty that captured DS's heart.

Rock, I play solitaire on the Surface notebook computer because that's about all it's good for. It often does crazy things. When it starts that monkey business, I sign out and sign back in again to clear it up. No need to even turn it off. I decided to read the Steele Dossier last night. It's a pdf file and the Surface worked well for that. I'm knocking on wood but the FPOC seems to be working better (til it doesn't :(). I'm so glad Miss Kitty has found a dry spot in the rain. Cats are very resourceful. Ones which live outside usually never get completely comfortable because they have to be alert for danger. They don't feel secure someplace where there is only one escape route. I used to feel old Simon outside where there were two ways he could escape if he had to. Still, he was ever alert to every sound and sight. What a sad way to live. SV, on the other hand, feels secure enough to sleep on his back with his legs splayed out and the hair on his undercarriage waving in the breeze.

OK, gonna go fix that rice sock. I hope everydobby is feeling well.

Love, Mikie

dmcduck likes this.
  12. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Good morning, friends! Been a little crazy with Den home for two extra days, but we did get several things done. I just don't take time to get on the computer as much, although we have the laptop set up at the dining table in case we both need or want to check something at the same time...

Granni, I've been thinking of you. I imagine you are emotionally exhausted from your deposition...did you have to actually travel to where it was or could it be done by phone? I'm guessing it had to be done in person.

Mikie, I've been hoping you were feeling so much better by now. Sounds like a bunch of you in the hood have been affected with some form of the crud. Did I read that you and Barb got to visit? Glad she's doing better...

Rock, glad your kitty has figured out how to stay dry. A couple of our cats do slip inside when they get a chance...but I can get some kibble out and call them to come back to the door. They have lots of places to roam in here, but we just don't want permanent inside cats...although I did allow a couple of different ones in at times so Gpa could hold them since his "Kirby" kitty had to stay at the other farm (he wouldn't have gotten along with all the barn cats outside or Oreo inside.)

Barry, sounds like you have a comfy setup with your furbabies.

Duckie, our weather has been up and down also...although not as warm as yours. Weather site says a high of 45 today and 47 tomorrow...then back to highs in the teens for a couple of days (and a high of 9 degrees one day next week.)

Sun...what a shame to have so much trouble with your pool, due to your neighbor's tree. I remember the last place my grandparents lived in before Gpa retired from the railroad and they moved back to their hometown. Houses close together...Gma and Gpa didn't have a single tree in their yard, but ended up with leaves from several big trees of their neighbors.

Star, how are you holding up...is it the hot summer weather there now?

Spring, sorry you are dealing with colder temps. Yep, we drink more hot drinks in this weather, too. I made Den some tumeric tea the other night...supposed to help him sleep better...I drank some too. We were up several hours during the night, lol!

Diane, Linda, Judy, anyone else I've missed. Thinking of you guys.

Den and I managed to go back "home" to our master bedroom last night. He had insulated, foamed and caulked and filled all the air leaks...so it is much warmer and cozier now. Oreo goes wherever her little beds go, so she was just fine. I was happy because I can get in on my own side of the bed instead of crawling in from the bottom. It was much easier to move the mattresses, etc. with two people (we sleep on a king size, the guest room has a queen and I had switched them one day while he was at work)...Den told me to never do that by myself again, lol!

David had been thinking of coming up here over the weekend, bringing just Josiah (the three year old.) He was bringing his pickup to get their cedar table top, the frame (he and Den had made these over Thanksgiving) and an extra hot water heater that we have. But he started feeling sick and now Lindsey thinks he is down with a full blown case of the flu. So far, she has been able to keep the kids from getting terribly sick...but David is a cop and probably exposed to "who knows what."

Monday, I had to take one of our Amish neighbor kids on an emergency run to one of the Amish "doctors." Apparently, the boy was loading his pellet gun and it went off while he had his thumb over the end...so the dad called to see if I could transport. The thumb was still attached, but it sort of "pinched" and separated part of it...he wanted me to look at it, but I couldn't really tell how injured it was. Anyway, the Amish man who treated it must have pulled the skin, etc. back where it belonged then put some salve on it and wrapped it in Burdock leaves (they harvest and dry the leaves in the fall, then steep them when needed to make them soft and pliable again.) So, no ER visit unless it gets worse later.

Anyway, I need to do something about my sinus headache. Have already "steamed" my head and it's not helping that much. May help just to be upright and let gravity do it's work, lol!

Take care, everyone!
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  13. sunflowergirl

I talked to my DD this morning. She's doing better with the bad cold. What a way to go on a vacation and get sick. And she forgot to bring all her essential oils she uses. She had me in stitches re: their friends and their "ailing" DD who is 11 and definitely on the way to being "high maintenance". She has a gluten problem but the BIG problem is her parents going overboard with catering to her wants, needs, or demands. The dad is constantly shoving gluten free cookies or snacks to her, gets up first thing to make a full breakfast for the kids can't even go to a restaurant with just the adults because he has to fix the kids something to eat! He's really Mr. Mom big time. My DD told me she could see how this 11 year old pushes her parent buttons to make them do flip flops for her. OMG....I don't see it getting any better at this age though. So not a memorable vacation.

Mikie: Yes, you are allowed to cut up to the fence line HOWEVER this tree is huge and when I called the tree trimmer months earlier who usually cuts for the other neighbor, he came out and said it would be $800 for him to come then and cut it OR I could wait until february when he is scheduled for the other neighbor next to the owner of the tree. So I'm waiting. The way tree grows and the very small distance between my block wall /planter and the pool it must be cut from the other side with the guys in the tree. That reminds me....I have to call and make sure they KNOW to come here also.

Julie: Interesting about the burdock leaves. I'll have to do a search on it. Years ago I was very interested in growing herbs and their healing properties. Sooooo.....tumeric tea didn't work!
    Mikie and bct like this.
  14. dmcduck

Well, the maintenance people came and fixed our temperamental climate control. We are now at 72 degrees with 35% humidity.

My work the last 2 days has been "chasing squirrels" (one little thing after another, and sometimes 3 or 4 things at once. In fact, my lunch got cold today while I dealt with several things at once. Sigh. And in the background, I'm still preparing for the go-live on this big upgrade.

Julie - I heard this morning that some forecasters are predicting we will get 3-10" of snow Friday into Saturday. I wonder if you will get any of that? And yes, we are also supposed to get colder weather again next week.

Sun - I suspect that vacation will be "memorable," just not in the way one would like!

Mikie - yes, the heat did make me miserable. Fortunately, we are able to open windows, so we did and that helped considerably.

Hugs to Rock, Barry, Granni, et al. Have a great afternoon!
    Mikie likes this.
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Home again, home again, run to the john. Good grief. As though the cold/sinus crud weren't enough, I have nausea and the trots. I think my poor old bod is trying to purge it. When I got home from the store, I walked down to get my mail. I ran into another friend who is getting over her cold. The rice sock is helping. I haven't heard from Claudia yet today and I'm hoping she isn't worse. Nancy sent pics of her new bloodhound foster dog. He's only 12 weeks old and is all ears. So funny to see him run. Her DD has two other foster dogs, both hounds of one kind or another. I told Nancy I know there is already a place in heaven for them both. One of the DD's old dogs has 'adopted' one of the new foster dogs and sleeps in his crate with him. There's a couple of old cats and a couple of kittens. There are some rats in a cage. Lord only knows where they came from. Some days, it's all I can do to take care of SV and me.

I ran into Barb sitting out. She is always so nice and seems so happy these days. I'm sooo grateful that she has found this peace in life while she's still here. She has to use a cane but goes down and walks a bit in the hood by herself. I think her health has improved since her attitude improved. I can feel the angels smiling down on her now.

Duckie, so glad the heat is back to where it should be. It's great that you can open the windows. I'm in the habit of not opening mine here in the condo since the Red Tide got so bad. We lost a lot of shrubbery along the main road which runs on the side of the property from the hurricane. I can hear the traffic on the road now so that's another reason to keep the sliders closed. Every time I open and shut them, it reminds me that I need to call Sliderman to have them fixed so they run smoothly again. In the mornings, SV wants in and out and in and out again. If we get up early enough, I leave the doors open a crack so he can access the lanai. These new weather fronts seem to affect the whole country. Our warm temps will be dipping down again. Brrr!

Julie, even our temps down here in the jungle are up and down. It wreaks havoc with our colds and sinuses. Seems everywhere I turn, people have colds. Don't know anyone who has the flu full bore. I hope it leaves before it can spread further and make people so sick. I still sleep on a king size bed. Just habit I guess. It's nice that SV can sleep over on his own side. A lot of the time, he comes over and sleeps next to me. He's not shy about asking for some love. I'm happy to pet him when he does because it makes me feel good to run my hands through his lush fur. Yes, Barb and I had a nice visit. It's hard for her because the stroke destroyed part of her brain. She can't remember people's names. She has to describe which condo or house they live in so I can guess who came up to see her. We make it into a game. I'm glad people are visiting her. That was always so important to her when she lived here full time. The turnaround in her personality is nothing short of a miracle. I hope David doesn't have the flu. If he does, I hope he's better soon. That's scary about the kid's finger. Hope he's better too. Try the warm rice sock for your sinuses. It helps.

Sun, glad your DD's cold is better. I'm also glad the tree trimmer can take care of that limb which is such a pain in the neck. We had a live oak which the developer unwisely planted close to the pool. We took it out. The developer also planted one next to the tennis court. It dropped acorns all over the place. That's dangerous for anyone playing. They are like marbles. I once went over and swept them all up before we removed that tree too. A squirrel ran out on the branch and screamed at me. I piled them up in one corner; there was a ton of them. I told the squirrel to bury what he wanted because I'd be back the next day to haul them away. I must be getting squirrelly myself, thinking I can talk to the animals and they can talk to me. Even stranger--I think we can understand each other. That squirrel was using some bad language. Have you ever read any of the Outlander novels? The heroine is a doctor in the 1940's who is transported to the 1700's in Scotland. She has to use herbs to treat people. They are very good books and have been made into a miniseries but it's on a premium channel I don't get. How is Clair?

Rock, I hope your computer isn't on the fritz again. Such a pain when they don't work. I miss you and your wit and humor when you're gone. I have to laugh at my own jokes and I'm not that funny.

I'm glad I went out today but am back to being almost totally inert. I'm going to squirt some more colloidal silver up my nose and warm the rice sock. I'm about 60 percent through the book I'm reading. Nonfiction can be dry and difficult to get through. I need to open up one of my novels on the Kindle. Amazon keeps giving me freebies or ones for only a couple of dollars. I certainly have enough to choose from.

I hope everydobby is well and having a good day. Also hope our MIA's come visiting.

Love, Mikie
    bct, Starlight74 and dmcduck like this.
  16. sunflowergirl

Mikie: Actually I'm giving Outlander a try on the books on CD. A friend told me about it.....the DVDs were at the library so I checked them out.......around disc 4 it turned pornographic. (What's the word for visual?). I was a bit shocked to say the least. I've watched films that have nudity in it but......this was over the top. And the sexual violence! I'm a Christian and I felt I shouldn't be watching it so I returned them. Actually went on line and was reading about it.....and yes....it's considered soft porn. If the book becomes like that.....then I will return it. Shades of Grey is also considered soft porn. The pastor of a large mega church talked about the book one sunday.
    Mikie and Starlight74 like this.
  17. dmcduck

I read the first 2.5 books of the Outlander series. I know lots of people really like them, but they are rather...descriptive. And, after a while, repetitive in the descriptions. I mean, just how many times can the scars on the man's body be described? In the same book? So I gave up on them. I'm a 'fade to black' kind of person when it comes to that kind of thing. Not that I'm a prude, but really. Sometimes it's too much. I'll get off my soap box now.
    Mikie and Starlight74 like this.
  18. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

We had more rain today. I looked at the tomato patch. Some green tomatoes that never
    turned red and lottsa little yellow flowers.

Sun, Thanks for the info on the podacarpus bush/tree. I read the poda part of the name is
    from the Greek word for foot and karpus means "fruit". But that doesn't explain why the name
    foot applies. And the plant has cones. Does that mean people can eat them? Lots of pics on the
    net for the curious.

Blackjack is a provocative name for a cat. Kinda sounds like she might belong to a pirate. Arrr!
    I'm guessing she's not a calico. Hope you can get some rest as well as pain relief.

Mikie, (and other pun lovers). I am reading an autobiography of Bennett Cerf. He and some
    friends started the publishing house Random House. It took its name from Bennett's plan:
    We'll just publish a few books at random. I'm also reading his collection titled "Treasury of
    Atrocious Puns". Some by Bennett and various others like Victory Borge and Bridge expert
    Charles Goren.

Goren was playing bridge on a boat in Long Beach harbor when the table collapsed. Goren said,
    "The table went down with all hands aboard."

Here are more examples: In ancient Athens Homer was heard to say, "I love my wife, but Oh
    Ecluid." Clifton Fadiman was taking some friends to dinner at an Italian restaurant he'd
    discovered. Fadiman was an author, radio and TV personality, and member of the Algonquin
    Round Table. Unfortunately he had misplaced the address. Fadiman said, "I seem to have
    lost my Spaghettysburg Address." For some reason Random House did not publish Bennette's
    book. Harper and Row did.

Duckie, your office had humidity control? Amazing. Do the controls go from Gobi Desert to
    Amazon rain forest? Did you catch your squirrels? I read many years ago the a fisher can
    catch a squirrel, but a martin can catch a fisher. (Both members of the weasel family.)

Oops! Just got a pop up that said, "An error occurred" followed by lots of technical gobbledyegook. Better quit before I lose this.

Rock
    dmcduck, Mikie and Starlight74 like this.
  19. springwater

springwater Well-Known Member

Hiya,

It's still very cold 6 degrees Celsius last evening. Brrrr. It will turn warmer soon enough though. Gotta enjoy snuggling into warm blankies while I can.

Several relatives have arrived in town from abroad. But the others are doing the visiting. I'm wrapped up drinking more tea than is good for me.

I'm reading several books at a time. One is a.kind of travelogue.to spiritual places in Asia. Nepal too. The author tries to do a meditation course, in Buddha's birthplace, but finds the strigdnt rules too difficult to keep up. She goes to Africa, HkngKong and many others. Yet to read those parts.

Rock - if it rains here, it will become chillier and then the warm weather will slowly come.
    Goren reminds me of Nasi goreng, a tasty rice dish from Indonesia.

Mikie - what a miracle, Barb is being nice. There must be something to the NDEs.
    bct, dmcduck, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Thursday Morning, Kids,

Woke without the requisite sinus headache this morning. Woo Hoo!!! My head isn't as stuffed up and I feel just a wee bit better. I'm hoping this is a good omen that I'm on the road to recovery. Hmmm, that should have been a Bob Hope, Bing Crosby movie--The Road To Recovery. They might have had a difficult time getting someone to cough up the money to make the film. Did producers give them the cold shoulder? I know they didn't want to ague about it. Oh, I'm in a fever pitch here with the puns. I'll stop before everyone gets sick of it.

Rock, I remember Bennett Cerf from game shows in the 1950's. Was he on What's My Line? I seem to remember him from that. I always liked him. I loved the beautiful gowns the women wore for those shows. I was just a kid but longed to grow up to be a sophisticated woman like the ones on those shows. Good thing my desires changed and were replaced by more realistic ones and more meaningful ones, like spending my life making bad puns. Thanks for posting those most excellent puns. Maybe I can raise my game.

Sun, yes, those books have a lot of sex in them. There is a big audience among women for "torn bodice" books. Those are usually the Harlequin Romance types of paperbacks. My DMIL was a prude but devoured those books. I don't get turned on by reading or watching sex scenes but, if the story is worthwhile, they don't bother me. The stories in the Outlander series are really good. Like with so many, they lost their attraction as they went on. I haven't finished the last book I bought. They are a combination of love story, soft porn, soft sci-fi and adventure. Barb couldn't tear herself away from what I call, Filthy Shades of Gray. Years ago, one of the women in the hood got ahold of a dirty book and everyone read it. It's surprising what goes on behind closed doors in the homes of otherwise prim women. Sorry it made you uncomfortable.

Duckie, I'm sorry the story made you uncomfortable too. It's unfortunate because they really are good books.

Spring, our temps will be dropping again too and I'm gonna enjoy it. I love sleeping in a cold bedroom, snuggling up under my quilt. I leave my fuzzy-wuzzy robe on SV's side of the bed for him to snuggle up on. If I had the means, I'd love to travel to spiritual places. Of course, I consider my condo to be a spiritual place but ancient places of spirituality are fascinating. I could travel and write a book--Eat, Meditate, Eat More. Yes, I am thrilled to see Barb so happy. It used to feel toxic just being around her. Now, I don't feel any of that. I guess there is always hope.

I want to go buy flowers for our flower boxes but don't think I'll go today. My friend, Claudia, is feeling a tad better and wants to go out doing all kinds of things. Nancy and I tried to tell her to take it easy until she's sure the cold is gone. It is a tenacious virus. I never did get my dusting done so maybe I can do that while Roomba vacuums. Then, perhaps I'll feel up to buying and planting the flowers tomorrow. As Scarlett always said, "Tomorrow is another day." I'll wait to get the mulch until I'm sure I'm better. I broke out in a hot sweat last evening and now I'm sure my bod is trying to purge this crud.

Hope everydobby has a nice day.

Love, Mikie
    bct, dmcduck and Starlight74 like this.