Porch # 1033 is now CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by springwater, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Grace and Frankie are back on Netflix for the fourth season so I'm binge watching. I still marvel at how good Jane Fonda looks. Lili Tomlin looks good too. No wrinkles. I saw a special on Tonya Harding the other night. She is only 47 and has way more wrinkles than I. My ENT is also a board certified plastic surgeon. He does fillers which last five years. I'm considering looking into it for the puppet mouth wrinkles from my mouth to my chin. Wish I could afford another neck lift. It's probably too expensive even for just the filler. I did eat but am not able to do much of anything. I had an optical migraine. Psychedellic patterns without the drugs. Such a deal!

Nancy texted me with good news. Her eye surgeon says he can fix the eye which the eye doc here botched when she had her cataract removed. Then, he can do the other cataract. He said she should have great vision and perhaps only need reading glasses. I'm sooo happy for her and pray it all goes well.

Julie, it does sound as though you have the flu. Can you call the doc and get some Tamiflu? It might help if it's not too late. I'm not sick enough; I don't think this is full blown flu. It's just an old fashioned cold that refuses to leave. Out, Damned Cold! Hope you feel better.

Duckie, I feel guilt but not from doing anything. It's when I don't feel like doing anything and there are umpteen things that need doing. Good old Catholic guilt.

Sun, I had quit taking the Zantac and found an herbal med which works better for my acid reflux; however, my doc wanted me to switch back to the Zantac to see whether the pain in my midriff is from stomach acid. My stomach is so upset that I can't tell whether it's acid or this crud. We have a live oak by the mailboxes. There is an evil squirrel who likes to pelt people with acorns. They hurt when they hit. That little guy has some arm on him.

Roomba has one more room to go. I need to change the bed but it will have to wait another day. Hope I'm feeling exceptionally strong tomorrow. The bed skirt needs to be laundered which means removing the king size mattress and standing it up against the wall. Very challenging on a good day.

Love, hugs and prayers to all our Dear Porchies.

Love, Mikie
  2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

OMG, I think that I must have missed almost a whole PORCH volume. JULIE, MIKIE rest and get well. So sorry to hear that you are ill. Glad DEN is getting a little better and is playing nurse.

I just got on the computer and now it is almost time to go to my small group practices. We are going to keep our Broadway shows in our repetoire (sp) and will try and refine it more . Lots of work to do practice wise on our choral works. It will be a crazy program with lots of different stuff including some Handel (not the messiah) and another one in German. Will have to get my facts right to give to everyone especially DUCKIE :)!! More later. Need to keep an eye out for my ride to practice.

Went to our exercise class this morning. They have started up again with a different teacher, The other one got a sports injury and not sure when will be back at all.

May be back tonight or tomorrow . So sorry to be so absent. Seems lately I have been running around with my head cut off . Not sure how much I am getting accomplished. I did fill a couple of boxes with stuff for donation pickup on Saturday. I really a have a lot more but I hate to gte rid of stuff if I am not sure I will be using it esp clothes :)!!

SUN - Glad that your bladder issues are much better or was it kidney?

Love everydobby,
    Granni :)
    springwater and Mikie like this.
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

Tried to post here earlier. Got interrupted both times. Just woke up from a long nap.
    Went downstairs. Gordon was sitting on the floor surrounded by DVDs and CDs. Musta
    been 2-3 hundred. All Chinese music, mostly operas. He got them all free from
    the Chinatown library. It will probably take him a year or 3 to listen to them all.

Chinese opera sounds terrible to Western ears. The music is not written in the diatonic
    music system we use. And the singers have terrible voices by our standards. They do,
    however, have spectacular costumes and lots of symbolism. The status of the character
    is often denoted by the headdress. Somebody carrying a stick with dangling cords is telling
    the audience that he is on a horse. You can find lots of examples on Youtube including a
    Chines interpretation of Shakespeare's Hamlet. Forsooth indeed! (Pic below)

Granni, sorry to hear you're running around with your head cut off. If you go to Youtube
    you can hear the song about a lady who really had her head cut off: Anne Boyleyn. The
    song is titled "With Her Head Tucked Underneath Her Arm". There are several versions
    including one by Stanley Holloway who really is English. He played Liza Doolittle's Dad
    in My Fair Lady. Lisa, of course , was the little known Julie Andrews who suddenly became
    famous as well she should have.

Mikie, I never heard of squirrel who throws acorns, or anything, at people. Hard to imagine
    considering how short their arms are. Do you have a catcher's mitt around the house? Never
    heard of an optical migraine before either. Sounds interesting, but no fun.

Loved the Paul Ryan speaker joke, et. al. We only had one Ryan in our little town. Ma Ryan.
    She lived in a big house on top of a hill at the far end of our block. The local bootlegger. My Dad took me there one Sunday morning when I was about 5 or 6. The place smelled funny,
    and there were three or four men sitting at her kitchen table playing cards and drinking some
    beautiful amber colored drink. The color, of course, was caused by the morning sun coming
    through the windows.

Gordon just got a call from one of his sisters. Her son is getting married. He is a handsome
    fellow, probably in his early 30s. Never met the gal. I was thinking we should probably
    give them money because the couple probably already has stuff for the house. Which,
    it turns out, was exactly what his mother said. So we'll give them a lovely card with a
    100 dollar check. We are not going to the wedding though. It's in Orange County, south
    of us, and it's at night. Gordon doesn't like to drive at night, and I can't drive at all any
    more.

Hugs
    Rock

upload_2018-1-23_19-6-31.jpeg
    springwater, bct and Mikie like this.
  4. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone...just a quick note...wanted to feel like I am still part of civilization, lol! Sorry I can't stay and chat with each of you...headed to bed at 9:30 pm. Figured out it has been Tuesday all day...glad Den started his crud at the beginning of the weekend and only had to miss two days of work. I think he should stay home again tomorrow...he must have weeks of sick days built up...but he says he'll feel the same at work or at home, and I think he's getting bored. He told me if I get worse, he will come back home anytime.

So....and the thunder rolls...

Oh, I just remembered what that song is about...not what I meant at all. Just seemed like something to say, lol! What I meant was...life goes on, this too shall pass, etc., etc.
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

Got an e mail from my sister in Minnesota. She said they got 8 inches of snow. And then she
    added the most unbelievable sentence. "I don't have a snow shovel so I had to remove it with a rake."
    First of all, there is no such thing as a Minnesota home without a snow shovel. And secondly,
    trying to rake snow is like using a colander to carry water. Yumpin' yimminy! And where's
    that boyfriend of hers? Why isn't he huffing and puffing clearing a path?

Julie, here's a verse from my childhood that mentions rolling thunder.

The woodpecker pecked out a little round hole
    And made him a house in the telephone pole.
    One day when I watched he poked out his head,
    And he had on a hood and a collar of red.

When the streams of rain pour out of the sky,
    And the sparkles of lightning go flashing by,
    And the big, big wheels of thunder roll,
    He can snuggle back in the telephone pole.

By Elizabeth Maddox Roberts

Hope you and Den are much better soon.

I'm going back to bed. Hugs All
    Rock
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Wednesday Morning, Kids,

I'm late getting here this morning. I slept for eight straight hours, a rarity for me these days. I knew I was really tired yesterday from the crud. I feel so much better this morning. I hope it means I'm on the mend but I've been fooled before. I got a text from DD in CO. She said the Instant Pot arrived and she was reading the directions. I had told her not to use it before calling me so I could 'splain the strange button selection. I also texted and warned her about getting burned. She said the pot was 'awesome.' I'm relieved that it got there OK.

Joe called to fill me in on the board meeting last night. Thankfully, they said they are going to replace the dumpster enclosure on my street. I'll be glad when the improvements to the hood are done and it gets back to the nice little community I have always loved.

Granni, sounds as though you have a lot on your plate. Can't tell you how much I admire you for all you do to bring enjoyment to the lives of others with your music. Good for you for getting rid of things. I'm still working on it. The crud has set me back.

Rock, love the little ditty about the woodpecker. We have them here in our trees sometimes. We had one who kept pecking at the metal light pole. It sounded like a jack hammer and I can't believe it didn't injure his brain. The squirrel uses both paws, lifts the acorn and sends it toward his mark with as much muscle as he can muster. I should have said he has some arms on him. I remember all those guys sitting around Ma Ryan's place. She was only a bootlegger's daughter but they loved her still. Bada Bing! I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress. Geez, I can barely stand to listen to regular opera except for a few arias. Don't know whether I could take listening to it in Chinese. On the other hand, when I visited San Francisco, I really enjoyed listening to the cadence of people speaking Chinese.

Julie, I'm glad Den is better. Here's hoping you will be soon too. I am so much better today but, every now and then, I feel a bit lightheaded. I need to run up the street to Publix but think I'll give it one more day. I can find something here to eat. I've decided to keep my appt. with the gastero on Fri. I need to find out what is upsetting my stomach. Hang in there and try to find something to take your mind off of it. I noticed that Netflix has a lot of new additions. Binge watching Grace and Frankie helped me get through yesterday. Remember Talia Shire from the Rocky movie? She had a small appearance as Frankie's sister in one episode. Swoozy Kurtz and Marcia Mason were in another. It's kinda fun to see how everyone has aged, except Jane Fonda who looks better and better every year.

OK, Kids, I've read the real paper and need to go get into the shower. I hope everydobby has a great day.

Love, Mikie
    rockgor, springwater and bct like this.
  7. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

Rock:. Love the little poem about the woodpecker. Wish I could clip and paste on this ipad so I'll have to just look up the poem on the internet and copy from there.

Ages ago, before marriage, a date took me for drinks after a dinner up to the Hollywood Hills to a little Chinese Restaurant where the show was a Chinese Opera. It was most interesting???? That was a one time event for me....that type of entertainment isn't for me though. I wonder if that place is still there, the view of the city below was unbelievable.

Did I tell you my neighbors are Chinese....the older grandparents speak no english so the few times I've gone there I've had to pantomime. BUT.....OMG.....the wonderful smells that come from their kitchen wafting into my backyard are wonderful. I told the younger man to tell his mom that it smelled really good. He said it was his father who did the cooking.

Mikie: Good luck at the gastro doc. I've been having stomach pains lately, since my scope done last week. Can't figure out why so I've started taking a peppermint oil pill before eating. The oil is capsulated. You might check this out.

I've been busy sorting laces and doing some creating with them. Things seem to be multiplying around here and at times I just want to scream, but I'm diligently working to thin out this house. It's so beautiful outside today so maybe I'll do a little potting up of a mound of purple wandering jew cutting I broke off. I like to tuck these growing pots of them around my garden.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

I managed to get my shower and do my hair. I went to Publix and got a few things, including some Italian parsley in a pot. I have enough basil to make a bit of pesto sauce. I'll fix some seafood Alfredo pasta when I'm feeling better and put the sauce on it. I might ask Joe over when I fix it. He's Italian and loves Italian food.

Just going to the store wore me out so I'm crashing on the sofa, just like every other day. Whine, whine, whine! My new Country Living magazine is here so I looked through it. It's like the House Beautiful DD subscribed to for me. I can look through them in only a few minutes and am ready to give them away.

Sun, thanks for the heads up about the peppermint oil. My Mom swore by peppermint for upset stomachs. It would be really hard for me to live where food odors were wafting on the air. I'd want to go eat with them. Perhaps the man who cooks would give you lessons or is he the one who speaks no English? Well, it wouldn't require speaking English. All you would have to do is watch--watch and eat. Mmmm!

Think I'll finish binge watching Grace and Frankie. Then, maybe a snooze. Talk with y'all later. Til then, I hope everydobby is well.

Love, Mikie
    springwater likes this.
  9. dmcduck

dmcduck Well-Known Member

Good afternoon! Been a crazy day so far. The stress is starting to pile on for the upgrade Sunday. I'm trying to stay focused and not let the rampant squirrels distract me.

Rock - despite having been a music major in college, I can't say I've ever listened to Chinese opera. I did once eat in a Chinese restaurant that seemed to have the same song on replay, and it had actually gotten to the point where it was totally annoying by the time we left. It also kept playing in my head for hours.

Sun - I have heard you talk about the annoying podocarpus. Hope you get to enjoy some nice weather. It isn't nice outside here today (30's, damp, windy, cloudy), but it's supposed to warm up and be sunny and 50's next couple of days. 10-day forecast promises more roller-coaster weather, with cold followed by a warm day, then cold and snow. Funny story - I once cooked some stir-fry for a pot luck dinner. A little Chinese lady (a friend) mock-beat me because she said I made better Chinese food than she did!

Mikie - I, too, have witnessed squirrels throwing acorns at people. They are pretty crazy! Glad your DD got her Instant Pot. We had a beef pot roast made in ours last night. Very good.

Well, I have to get back to work now. Lots to do. Hugs to all I didn't mention!
    Mikie, rockgor and springwater like this.
  10. sunflowergirl

Mikie: We've got lots of squirrels around here, usually 3 or 4 running across the fence in back, but I've never seen a squirrel toss nuts. I'm going to youtube where there MUST be a video of that. Inviting Joe for dinner????? Better be careful that he doesn't think it's a date and for heavens sake don't invite him for feb. 14.

Speaking of Valentine's Day, I was at Goodwill the other day, my favorite place to shop, and I joined into a conversation with two of the employees. One was telling what he was going to do for his ladyfriend on the 14 and the manager, a woman about 55, said she was going to buy herself a Louis Vuitton wallet that cost $900. I asked if she was going to have any $ after that to put in it. I asked why a wallet where it would be stuck inside a purse.....because she was then going to buy a Louis Vuitton purse ....saving up $1,700. Double yipes. Well after that I had to come home and see just how much Goodwill employees were making.....she makes $35 an hr. Hmmmmm????

Duck: What spices do you use in your chinese cooking? And what did you make?

Rock: I did a search and found that that restaurant is still there......Yamashiro Hollywood. Ask Gordon if he's ever been there.

http://yamashirohollywood.com/
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Mikie and rockgor like this.
  11. dmcduck

Sun - I use garlic and ginger, and now McCormick's has come out with an oriental perfect pinch blend that is really tasty. I made sweet and sour pork that time...but it's nothing like the sweet and sour pork served in your average Chinese restaurant. Yamashiro sounds more Japanese than Chinese...
  12. springwater

springwater Well-Known Member

Squirrels throw acorns? I thought they were shy and retiring caps.

I just got up for a drink and decided to peek in. It’s cold. Rained yesterday.

My friend called and said she was eating mustard leaves grown in her garden..and why don’t I try. I told her if I had time, water and energy to spare I would grow flowers.

I’m glad to read Julie’s Den is better. I was thinking how difficult it would be with two people sick at same time.

Will be back at a more reasonable hour. It’s dark outside. And very cold.

God bless
    Mikie likes this.
  13. sunflowergirl

Duck:. Is this the spice you used? And you're saying that your sweet and sour was much better? The problem with most chinese restaurants is that the food is cooked hours before serving. That's why I don't go to any Chinese restaurants. Thai food is fresh! Full of flavor and not all those sauces.

https://www.mccormick.com/spices-and-flavors/herbs-and-spices/blends/perfect-pinch-asian-seasoning

You're right, it is a Japanese restaurant, but I know I saw a small production of a Chinese opera there.

Rock: If you go to the history of this restaurant you might enjoy reading about all the celebrities who lived on the grounds, etc. Most interesting place.

This morning I went for a walk and passed a neighbor's house, smelled gas so since no one home I called the gas company. He's been out now and found a leak and fixed it, but in talking with him I told him where I could smell it, so he checked with his meter and found a big leak right in the middle of the neighbor's yard...eeegad. He's dumbfounded since he said there's no pipe there. He's now waiting for more guys to check since he's thinking it's in the middle of the street. This whole area is nothing but bandaids put on to stop the leaks.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Mikie and rockgor like this.
  14. dmcduck

Sun - Yep, that's the one! Yeah, a lot of Chinese restaurants have food that sits around. I do have one right between my house and my work that is really good and I go there frequently enough that they know me by name. There is also a Thai restaurant right near it that is very good.

Past time to take my meds and hit the hay.
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Thursday Morning, Kids,

Not much to tell. I got soooo sick yesterday afternoon. I am gonna cancel my appt. with the gastero doc tomorrow. I'm too sick to go, especially since it's in the late afternoon when I usually feel worse. This crud just hangs on and hangs on, gets better and gets worser again. DD in TX is the same way with her flu. What I have seems to be somewhere between a cold and the flu. The headache is a killer.

When I got home from the store yesterday, I checked the flowers at the other end of the bldg. They were wilting and dry. Grace had said she would water them. I knocked on her door and asked her to throw some water on them and check them until I'm feeling better. She whines and complains every year for flowers. The least she can do is water them after she had said she would. Everything I started outside has come to a halt until I feel better.

Duckie, I've heard that when you eat in a Chinese restaurant, an hour later, you want to hear more Chinese opera again. Yes, I think the Instant Pots are made for pot roast. Do you brown the meat in the sauté mode before you cook it under pressure? I brown mine in the oven for a few minutes after it cooks. I think I'll try sautéing it first to see how that mode works in my pot.

Sun, that's scary about the gas leak. A woman I worked with had a son whose house blew up from a gas leak right after the utility co. had come out to check on it and said they fixed it. He was badly burned but survived. Nothing to fool around with. Glad you called. You're a good neighbor. I don't think Joe will get all excited about coming over for a casual dinner. I might wait til Barb leaves because he doesn't want to be anywhere near her. She still has her nasty side and it comes out around him. Barb and her kids will be gone by the end of the month.

Spring, hope you can come back to sit a spell.

OK, Kids, I'm outta here. Gonna take something for my headache. Hope everydooby has a great day. Think I like 'everydooby' better.

Love, Mikie
    rockgor likes this.
  16. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Good morning...I realize we are over thirty posts, but I have only enough energy to just say Hi on this porch. It took all I had in me to make a little pan of potato soup....between nothing sounding good and feeling like my crud was trying to add stomach/intestinal stuff to it....hard to know what to eat, even as Den has been trying to keep me hydrated and nourished.

I'm sitting at the computer, wondering how I'm going to make it back to bed...should try to go check on the wood furnace, too. Haven't been this sick, for this long...since two years ago and I was also trying to take care of Den's dad, without making him sick, too...and he kept begging me to not make him go home until I got over it. Feels like I keep repeating myself...forgive me, if that's the case. I don't know if this is influenza or not (diagnosed with type A last time, after I gave in and went to ER a week later) but too late to take the Tamiflu and I don't want to be exposed to anything else if I go in somewhere at this point.

Can't stay...hurts to even lift my arms to try to stay on the keypad.