PORCH 1065 IS NOW CLOSED (5/29/19)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, May 29, 2018.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

z-tropical-porch-hardwood-tiles-92517.jpg

Hi, Kids,

Time for a new Porch.

Love, Mikie
    rockgor likes this.
  2. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Oh wow! Very pretty porch, Mikie...thank you.

Hi guys...just checking in a minute. Sun, I'm so sorry for the losses...both situations so very sad.

Den is still home today, so we are hard at work. Except the full moon (I guess that's what it is) has been wrecking havoc on my sleep.) Hard to get up early to start working when one doesn't get to sleep till 3:00 am...

I'll stop by again later on. Den goes back to work tomorrow...we could both use a break...not from each other, but from the pace with which we are working. Went to the home supply store yesterday and didn't get home with everything we bought...I called over and we had left a sander in the bottom of the cart...out in the parking lot! But someone had seen it and turned it in to the customer service desk...a big surprise, in a way...but glad there are still honest people in the world.

Hi to everyone...hope to be back tomorrow.
    Starlight74, Mikie and rockgor like this.
  3. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

Julie: Color you LUCKY! So glad you got your sander back. The two of you were so overworked that the brain just wasn't working.

Mikie: I hope your test comes back negative, but then......it would be good to point the finger and say "ah ha, so that's the problem" and then be able to fix thing.

I got a call yesterday from a "friend?" I hadn't talked to in awhile, who basically didn't want to hear what I go thru...just wanted to BRAG about all she's able to do. She's 76, attends some type of class daily, goes to exercise classes and other things and constantly going on little day trips with the senior centers. When we hung up I wish I hadn't talked to her! We all live a different life, so many restrictions on our energy and capabilities. It's going on 3 weeks since I first got sick. This bug really zapped my strength but I sure didn't need someone to make me feel even worse.
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

Thanks for opening up, Mikie. Those ceiling fans suggest that porch might be part droan. Here's a post I started. Saved it. Then forgot about it.

Mikie, Are you making preparations for Alberto? I read the storm will be "Life threatening."
    Also read the expected path has shifted somewhat to the East. Hope you and SV will be OK.

Sun, I agree. A very sad week. In modern times we expect young people to be healthy.
    In the past the mortality rates for children were very high. But vaccinations and antibiotics
    and modern medicine have changed that. I think loosing a child must be the worst experience
    a parent can experience. The current news full of abuse to children is heart-breaking.

Granni, I read that the main problem with front loading washers is that they tend to leak.
    We had a washer repairman here a couple days ago. Gordon was asking about various brands of machines. He did say something that I've read before. The Sears Kenmore that had a great reputation is gone. It was never manufactured by Sears anyway. It was made by Black & Decker. Last year Black & Decker bought the name. Various companies will make also make the Kenmore tools.

Barry, "Our Affair Is Over!" Wasn't that the name of an old movie from the 40's? I think it starred Joan Crawford or Bette Davis. Either one of those gals had enough determination for a platoon of Marines.

Just woke up. Am all befuddled and blurry eyed as Barry says. Have to come back later.

Hugs
    Rock
    Starlight74 and Mikie like this.
  5. dmcduck

dmcduck Well-Known Member

Just dropping in to say hi, because I'm in Louisville (Churchill Downs, to be precise) and therefore have a good signal. Haven't read any posts, but from scrolling, looks like something sad happened in Sun's world. My sympathy for whatever it is. Hope everyone else is doing well.

So far we've had a good time. I'll drop in again when I can!

Hugz,
    Duckie
  6. springwater

springwater Well-Known Member

Dmc - nice you could drop in. Have a great trip!

Sun - praying for DS 's friend. That there be as less of suffering as possible. I pray he is wrapped in the loving light of source and His holy angels of light every moment of his life and after. Life is very hard to comprehend, most of the ti me.. The world could have still been an Eden...but something went frightfully awry.

I didn't know you were a country girl when young.

Julie - how lucky you got back your sander. I once lost my keys to my main cupboard when I went out once in the dark rainy evening. I remembered vaguely hearing a clink at a certain spot when walking. I woke early morning and scooted over to the part of that road. It had a big puddle in it but I dredged with mybhand and viola! My keys. How relieved I was.

Until you mentioned it I had no idea it was Full Moon.

Barry - that was funny about the cows.to be honest I'm scared of cows too. Lol! I hope mama cow got milked. We had seven dogs at one point of time after we moved to this house. Now down to four.

Mikie - that's a bright porch. The fans and plant suggest somewhere tropical. Hope you get to the bottom of your stomach problem. Yes, the hotel is beautiful. It's family owned by DHs cousin sisters husband's family. and DHs cousins children did their graduation in the US so they opted for earthy organic colours and designs.

I don't know if I'm good enough a writer to publish. We have some Nepalese authors who write in English and have been published in the West. Samrat Upadhyay is one.

Rock - Alberto will be life threatening?!! Argh. I hope it misses where all our porchies are. Even the weather gods are so angry these days.

It rained again. I don't remember it raining so soon. Normally monsoons hit in mid June. The garden is threatening to become a jungle again. The creepers and vines taking over. We seem to spend all our time trying not to let our garden take over us. If it's not the vines., it's the grass, or the trees.

I bought two avocado. The price made me jump. $2.00 for two medium. That's steep. There were huge sized ones in packets which they said were from France. I didn't even bother to ask the price.

Shout out to Star, Linda, Judy and all

God bless
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    Starlight74, Mikie, bct and 1 other person like this.
  7. sunflowergirl

Mikie: Pretty porch....I can almost feel the balmy breezes. I have one of those aspidistra (cast iron plant) in my FR. It's growing really good and now has white flowers on it such as they are. They actually look like leaves.

Spring: Thank you for your prayers for Drew. I'm praying that God takes him home soon. We all suffer on this board with so much so I think we're more attuned to the suffering of others. I've seen some youtube videos of him performing so I do kinda feel like I know him. Obviously my son is very affected and is going thru a depression this week. And I talked to my DD today....my DGS has healed from the loss of his friend, but then do you ever really stop missing them?

$2 for two medium.....that's about what we have to pay around in So. Calif. Yes, I grew up in the country. We didn't have any animals aside from mama cat giving us kittens 3 times a year and a dog, but everyone around us had something, including the people next door who decided to raise bees. That summer I stepped on a bee and got stung 3 times.....we would water our lawn and the bees came to get water.

Summer for me was very lonely until it was school time again. My mom didn't drive so once a week our neighbor would take me and her son to the library, so that's what I did all summer...read. And then help my mom with canning fruit or making jam. And my dad tried his hand at starting an avocado grove.....all those little seedlings didn't take though. But we had 8 large mature avocado trees. I always had a little stand in front, trying to sell them for my dad. And then once a month it was irrigation time. My dad would dig a lot of trenches around the seedlings and trees. We would get our water from the mountains at a certain time. My brother and I walked the trenches, making sure they didn't break. Then after about an hr. The water then went to the neighbor next door, the sluice boxes for us then were closed. I actually thought it was a lot of fun, walking with my shovel.

And YES, you are an excellent descriptive writer......try your hand at it.
    bct and Mikie like this.
  8. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Dear Ones,

Not to much time to type. Got home not to long ago after singing at to places with a salad lunch inbetween. It is out last gig until fall except for singing at the beginning of the program at our club, just part of our normal program since they already had a speaker. Hope that goes OK since we hadn't for our club in some time but music is easy enough and it is more like a sing along. We had a good time and so did the residents where we sang. Some groups charge a fee but we don't. It is more like a ministry to us.

We will be leaving soon for our Birthday Celebration at our club. Every few months a bew of us go to the club. today is Pastabilities, not really on my lists of things of I should be eating but I love it anyway. They have a pasta table where the guy or guys fix it to your specifications whatever sauce and pasta and stuff to go in it. I always loved pasta of any kind, comfort food, I guess. At home it was just spaghetti and meatballs or meat sauce.

MIKIE - Is Alberto coming around your place? I have been to busy sto really check it out but I keeps seeing or hearing about it around FL someplace. Thanks for the pretty PORCH. Hope you are feeling a little better. Have to try and go back and re read some of the posts since I am writing almost before I have read them all. Hard when gone most of the day. On to the dentist tomorrow for the cleaning. Luckily however, my appt was changed to 11 instead of 9. Wish it was 10 but can't be to picky.

SUN - How interesting to hear about your helping your dad farm and the canning with your mom when you were young. We didn't do lots in the summer either except once in a blue moon we went to the beach or something but that was rare as mom didn't drive and dad was always working crazy hours or sleeping. So many prayers to go around it seems. DH and friend went to see a fell K of C member in the hospital. He was not doing well and it looks like now he had a stroke or something as he wasn't speaking when they went to see him today. He had had heart surgery sometime ago, maybe a month or so. He was trying to heal from that but was having problems with the leg in which they removed the veins to use for the by pass. It was very upsetting to see him. Again so sorry for all the sadness going on in your family and friends at this time.

JULIE - Take it easy kiddo and try not to wear yourself out, Dem too. I am sure that is easier said than done when there is so much to do. Hope you get a chance to rest a bit after Den goes back to work. So glad you got your sander back. I am sure that was not cheap.

Gotta run. Almost time to go. HUGZ to SPRING, ROCK, DUCKIE ( who seems to be quite the traveler), BARRY, JUDY and everydobby else not mentioned.

Love to awl,
    Granni :)
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

I can't believe it's a full moon. I usually feel better and more energetic when the moon is full. Not now. I'm just existing. Whine, whine, whine. DD called from TX. She and DGS went back for the Cheer Banquet. Andy will wear the lion suit and then remove the head to surprise all his old friends there. The coach set it up.

Nothing going on here. I emptied the dishwasher and cleaned the ceramic top of the stove. That's all I'm up to doing. I feel hot and sweaty. Should have washed my hair but am not going to do it until I'm not all warm and sweaty. AACCKK!!

Julie, so glad some honest person turned in the sander. It made my day just hearing about a kindness. We all benefit when someone is kind. Hope you and Den can get back to normal after this whirlwind weekend.

Sun, I almost hope the doc does find an infection because some ABX would clear it up. I'm so sorry for all the sadness in your life and your family's life and I pray for God to being peace. I also pray for the man with ALS. Such a cruel disease. Feel better, my friend.

Duckie, so glad you could drop in and I'm glad you are having a good time.

Spring, yes, that hotel has understated elegance. I really like it. I think you have all the talent in the world to be a successful writer. I think it's because you see with your heart and soul and are able to communicate what you are seeing and feeling. Our avocados here cost about the same. People with trees can't give them all away they are so plentiful. I hope you enjoy them.

Rock, I think any storm can be life threatening but tropical storms usually aren't described that way. It made landfall just where expected, in the FL Panhandle. Of course, flooding can always be bad. In Maryland, there was not only flooding but fast moving water rushing down streets. That's dangerous. It looked almost like the water that rushes in from tsunamis. Scary. Are you bleary eyed befuddled and bewildered? Isn't that a song?

DOF just called from Chicago. Tomorrow, they will be getting rain from Alberto. Weatherman says it will be cloudy for days here. Depressing! Hope everydooby else is having sunny skies.

Love, Mikie

bct likes this.
  10. rockgor

Hi Kids

Just woke up from a nap. Gordon just lay down to take one. Although I got lots of tomatoes
    yesterday, I only got 4 today.

We had lots of noise this morning. Don't hear any now. Last week signs were put up to
    prohibit parking on our side of the street. Nothing happened for days. Then some
    orange paint was sprayed on the street. A rather crude rendition of a ladder. Couple
    days later the orange paint was replaced with blue. Still no action. This morning a
    truck appeared and parked in the middle of the street. Two men in white appeared.
    They walked up and down the street chatting.

A hour or so later Gordon went out to garden. Saw the guys standing around, still doing
    nothing. Talked to them. They do not work for the city. They work for AT&T. They
    are going to dig up some sort of electric cable and replace it. Maybe our TV reception.
    will be more reliable. Just looked outside. The truck and the men are gone. No sign
    that anything was actually accomplished. Reminds me of the old saying: Good enough
    for government work.

Sun, I have never had a bee sting; wouldn't want one either. I wouldn't go near a bee hive.
    I bees too beware of them beasts. Ever See Laurel and Hardy's film Bonnie Scotland?
    At the climatic finish the boys save the day by throwing bee hives at the rebel army.

Spring, I don't know what avocados cost here. I seldom go shopping anymore. Used to
    know the price of all the stuff I bought regularly. But all those prices have increased by
    leaps and bounds. I used to get free avocados from my ex-wife. She had a tree in her
    back yard.

A shame about dropping those keys in the water. Two bad Duck-ky wasn't there to
    assist.

Duckie, did you have a mint Julep at Churchill Downs? I read they serve a hundred
    thousand a day or something like that. Is it true that when the British Prime Minister
    visited the Derby he said as he went to bed the night before the race, "I won't get myself
    up if I can't have my Julep."? Saw an article that said Juleps are now being made with a
    variety of liquors; not just Bourbon.

All for now
    Rock
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    bct likes this.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Wednesday Morning, Kids,

Not much to tell. It has been pouring all night. These are not from Alberto, just lots of moisture coming up from the south in the Gulf and Florida straits. SV is out on a chair on the lanai enjoying the morning rain. A neighborhood just down the road flooded before and after Irma last year and everyone is nervous that it will flood again. The county dredged one canal but refused to do the whole job.

I'll come by later. In the meantime, I hope everydooby has a great day.

Love, Mikie
  12. rockgor

Good morning, Kids

Went to the weather channel to see what to expect. What I didn't expect was the report
    that it will be 81 degrees today in Baltimore, Maryland. Apparently during the night
    a mysterious force moved me almost 3,000 miles East. The weather page also advised
    me not to roast marshmallows over a volcano. This valuable bit of information was
    illustrated with a video which would not play.

Visited Youtube during the night. Anybody remember a song from the late 50's
    titled "When"? It was sung by the Kalin twins. A number one tune in the United
    Kingdom and a top ten hit here. I have no recollection of them or the song.

Wikipedia says at one of their concerts Cliff Richards was also on the bill. His
    career lasted longer; he is now Sir Clifford.

Mikie, good to know SV is enjoying the rain. Animals seem to live in the present more
    than we do. Still, they often exhibit that they remember. Lots of videos in the news
    and on Youtube of dogs, gorillas, elephants, horses, etc. greeting former owners
    or care givers.

Oops! I'm being called to duty. The trash truck will be arriving today. Must make
    the necessary preparations. Oh yeah, it's raining here. And our weather page has a
    new format but no info. Probably what led to the Baltimore- gate.

Rock
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    bct likes this.
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Rock,

I have a weather app on my phone which tells me what is supposed to happen hour by hour, day by day. It's pretty accurate and I can also get weather elsewhere. There is likely a place for you to enter your location to get your local forecast. Typically, the computer knows where you are but that ability may be blocked. Our little pond is beyond the banks now but it has never flooded, even during the hurricane. They keep the swales and ditches pretty much cleaned out and the water flows away from us.

Dogs seem to remember their previous humans better than cats. Seems to me that cats love to be loved on but I'm not sure they develop the deeper loving relationships that dogs do. Cats seem to be content to be taken care of by whomever will feed them. The other night, SV was lying on top of a pillow next to me on the bed. He rolled off and it was so funny that I cracked up. He looked humiliated and reached out his paw and smacked me on the hand for laughing at him. That only made me laugh more. Poor kitty.

I'm trying to live in the present more but it's hard to do when one lives alone. Nothing but TV and the cat to stimulate me in the present tense. All kinds of other thoughts play through my pea brain all day long, thoughts about the past, thoughts about the future. Oy! Playing sports and learning new things is a good way to be so involved in the present that one has to live in the now.

I saw just a bit of America's Got Talent and there were two women who had ten trained cats. The cats did all the same tricks as trained dogs in circus acts. It was amazing and such fun to see them. The judges and audience were thrilled.

I gotta go. Still working on getting info on flood insurance. Big pain!

Love, Mikie

bct and rockgor like this.
  14. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Good morning, everyone! I slept in a little bit this morning and am taking my time with my first cup of coffee before I do some "inside chores" then head to town.

Sun, what a rude "friend." I wonder if she even realized what she was doing? I have such a minimal social life these days...I think partly because I would never be able to keep up with many of my friends and acquaintances. I'm sorry she made you feel worse...at times when I'm sick (with "normal" things, not the M.E./CFS) I try to remember that it will eventually pass and I'll be back to my normal. I pray you start feeling like yourself more each day.

Spring, how neat that you found your keys in a water puddle! I definitely think you are a wonderful writer. You and Star. Speaking of, I hope Star is okay and will be back to visit soon.

Rock, when you started telling about them blocking off the street, etc...I was thinking someone was going to start filming a new movie, lol!

Mikie, I don't think I mentioned how nice it is that you and Joe look out for each other. And you have your "friends helping friends" group. What fun for your DGS to go back to his old school...did I understand that he got to dress up as the mascot?

Duckie, so glad to hear from you. Sounds like a great trip.

Granni, what a busy gal...two performances in one day! Probably nice to have a little break during the summer now?

Judy, thinking of you. Did you get to see Vicki yet? Thinks okay?

Hi Barry...hope things are back to normal in your neck of the woods.

Star, hang in there, Dear One.

Oreo and I slept in the living room last night...initially, because I knew I would be tossing and turning from muscle aches and I wanted to give Den a chance to get some quality sleep before starting back to work today....but glad we weren't in the bedroom when it started storming as Oreo was pretty restless for a couple of hours. Not sure if the rain kept Den awake or not, but at least I tried...

Today has been two years since Den's dad passed away. Yesterday I just happened to get a voicemail on my phone...when I listened to it, I also listened to some I have saved. One is from Grandpa, telling me that he "is okay and doing good." I don't remember how old the voicemail is...I just keep "saving" it after I listen to it. I think it is from a time when I was coming back from Tennessee (one of the two times Grandpa went to the care center while I was out of town and Den was working.)

The new voicemail was from one of my dad's nurses. I called her back and found out that Dad had a choking spell yesterday, must have been at lunch. The nurse (actually, the assistant DON) told me they think Dad got everything coughed up and expelled, but they were going to keep a close watch on him...if he runs a fever, they will do a chest xray to see if he inhaled anything into his lungs. And they are going to have the speech therapist do another study (Dad had one in the hospital last year and one in the care center in February) to see if they need to adjust his diet again. Right now he is on "mechanical soft" where his food is just ground up a little. He may eventually go to "pureed" or something.

Not sure if this is a progression of Dad's Alzheimer's, or his false teeth were too loose, or just a "fluke." In any case, the nurse said Dad was okay...even though the staff was a little shook up. I imagine I will hear the full story from Dad's table mate when I go in today...I always find Ken to say Hi, even if I'm not there at mealtime. And to let him know I filled the bird feeders...Ken usually figures it out, though...he watches the birds out his window a lot.

Keira is in full swing with a couple softball games per week. She is pitching tomorrow night, but I think I'll wait to drive that far until I get my new glasses lens...hopefully by the first of next week.

Lindsey and family plan to come towards the end of June. Not sure if they will be here for my 60th birthday on the 30th...we usually try to have a "summer birthdays" party...the twins will be 6, Lorraine will be 8, Josiah will be 4. Lindsey's birthday is in June also. At any rate, it will be a quick trip...only a couple of nights. I asked if this would be a good time to leave the twins here...they haven't gotten to have their "own time" at Grandma and Grandpa's. Of course, then I'd have to get them home or at least part way. A lot of things are just "play by ear" and be "flexible and portable" :);)

I'd better get myself "town ready" and do a little housework before I leave...usually too tired to do much when I return home. Den has to take some vacation time before their work "new year" starts, so he will be off a whole week (11th-15th.) Plus the two weekends...I am already getting a new list made, lol! We really need to clean out his shop (the original shop, where he does mechanics, etc.) still lots of "stuff" shoved in one whole stall...we may be at this clean-up/organizing for awhile yet, lol. Glad we have a new, deep burn pit...

One of the main projects we did over the weekend, was take down some dead maples...there is a whole grove of them down where we have our bonfires and cookouts. I've been so afraid of a huge limb falling and hitting someone. Many dead limbs and several actual trees that had fallen over and were "hung up" on other trees...Den cut them out of the way and pushed them into a pile so we could burn it. After it burned down a bit, we had a little mini bratwurst roast...wouldn't the grandkids have gotten a chuckle of Grandma and Grandpa sitting all by themselves, roasting brats over the coals?

Anyway...I do get disgusted at my body because I get so worn out, so quickly. But I try to give myself some grace and some rest...and honestly, I am more the "supervisor", lol! But, baby steps, right? It might seem that I do so much, but nobody sees all the times I have to just come in and literally "crash" on the floor...so I hope it doesn't sound like I am some sort of "over-achiever", lol! Den, too...he has to have his regular naps and breaks (usually watches a woodworking show on TV or the computer :)) I try to keep him hydrated, and I can tell when he's getting too tired, so I make him stop and rest. But, I'm thinking we need to get this stuff done before we are no longer able...

Anyway, sorry to ramble...better get going.

Starlight74, Mikie, bct and 1 other person like this.
  15. sunflowergirl

Rock:. That song sounded a little familiar but not the twins. So I hit youtube....I could remember a lot of the words too. I would have been in 8th grade when it came out.

Julie: yes, I guess she was very inconsiderate. She didn't use to be that way, it was almost like she was "rubbing" it in all that she could do and how much better her life was than mine. She left such a "bad taste in my mouth" and I found I had to pray that God take away my anger towards her because we all know anger isn't a good thing.

Fun that grandma and grandpa had a little hot dog roast!

Mikie: If I didn't have my art and my gardening I would be a very very unhappy person. My life is very small, though I try to stay continually busy. Yesterday I had to buy some jewelry glue to repair some old things. Eeeegads, I'm sloppy with it. Got some on my fingers which spread to more fingers, and I have to confess I didn't use some good language!

It's drizzly this morning and I woke hurting everywhere. I'm wearing all my neoprene and heated rice filled things, and hope to do a little sewing repair this morning. I REFUSE to give in.
    Starlight74, dmcduck, rockgor and 2 others like this.
  16. sunflowergirl

rockgor and Mikie like this.
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Just stopping in between small chores. My stomach has been so painful and upset that I finally took some Pepto to settle it down and it's better. I lugged some newspapers down to recycle and picked up my mail. Ran into a neighbor who is on the big board. Hadn't seen her in a while. She said the board approved making the landscapers reimburse me for the plumbing bill. I talked with our mgr. today and she said she would be following up on it. Good grief! This has been a pain. I managed to paint my toe nails but did a really sloppy job. I can soak my feet and removed what got on the skin easily. I showered and did my hair and it turned out great again. It doesn't have to be colored as often when it's short. The layers hide the roots and I can use my Joan Rivers root powder to color them in if need be.

I'm watching the Property Brothers. Drew and his fiancee bought a beautiful old house in LA which was built in the 20's. They are doing a beautiful job redoing it, keeping the 20's flavor but updating everything. Lots had to be redone and they dug out a basement so they must be spending a fortune on it but it should be well worth it. They didn't mention the neighborhood but said it was just north of the La Brea Tar Pits. The neighborhood is full of beautiful big old well kept homes. This is an all afternoon marathon so I'm binge watching. Seeing construction makes me want to strap on a tool belt and go to work. Well, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. Ooh, ooh, they are framing, one of my favorite things.

Sun, I would say your old friend just can't understand what our lives are like but if she's always been trying to act better than others, I'd say she hasn't changed her spots. I no longer stay in touch with a good friend because she's a drama queen and I just can't take the nonstop drama. It saps all the energy from everyone in close proximity. My life is also small but I have a lot of interests when I feel up to doing things. Just haven't felt well for quite a while. I know it's been the same for you and I hope we both feel better soon. I hope the endoscopy will reveal something which can be fixed. Those 3-D printers are truly amazing. The medical implications are miraculous. I saw an entire small house made by a huge industrial size 3-D printer. It can't be lived in because they haven't figured out how to incorporate the wiring and plumbing yet. Sorry about Gluegate. I've had my struggles with glue too. If ever there were a time for swearing...

Julie, how nice to see such a newsy post from you. I don't think you are an overachiever. You guys are building a home. That's a big challenge for even the most fit and youngest among us. You and Den both have limited energy and he has an outside job. Your job as wife, mother and grandma are very demanding. Whatever it takes is what we all have to do. I know Spring has mentioned taking breaks and I'm taking more and more these days. I'm just grateful that I've felt up to doing a couple of small things today. The condo needs cleaning but it's not filthy or overly messy except for one room where I'm cleaning out the closet. I'd like to run things to Goodwill but it rains every other hour so that's on hold. Sometimes it feels as though all my life is on hold. Whine, whine, whine.

Andy was the mascot at his old school so the kids will be surprised when he walks in and takes off the head. The banquet is for all the cheer squads and those who support the athletics. The cheerleaders fawn over him. He's in seventh heaven. He's doing really well at his new school. He got all A's and B's except for one C despite having ADHD and being placed in advanced classes. I think he's learning how to focus better. Hope you get to enjoy your kiddies.

Gonna go clean off the kitchen counter tops. Nothing on them but I need to pull things out and clean under them. My stone counter tops don't show the dirt which is nice but they still have to be cleaned off every few years. HaHa!

Hope all y'all are doing well and hope we hear from Judy and Star. Duckie too when she gets back. Barry, we like to hear from you too. Spring and Granni, stop in when you can. Rock, hope you will stop in again soon. Hope I didn't forget anyone. If I did, I'm sorry. The pea brain isn't working well.

Love, Mikie
    Starlight74 and bct like this.
  18. sunflowergirl

Mikie: So nice that your DGS got to return to his school. They're living in colorado now, right? You sound like you're feeling a tad better. Yes, I do hope that your test shows something where the doc can fix it. HA. Clean your counter tops every couple of years! I have granite, a very dark, kinda black and green which I love, but I do need to do a deep cleaning and then a polishing of them.

Thanks for that info about property bros. I get HGTV but forget to watch it so I'll have to turn it on. I LOVE those remodeling shows. My dad was a carpenter and I learned a lot from him. I used to love looking at his blueprints for houses, pretending I was walking thru the rooms. That's a great area they bought in.....super rich houses. Go a little further and you'll hit Sunset Blvd, and then Mullholand Dr. Lots of movie history in that area. Rock and Gordon live even further north, another wonderful area for old victorian homes.

Speaking of movie star homes, my SIL's little company bought a home down in San Clemente, about a block from the pier and beach. Gloria Swanson owned a home just down the hill, and her view was straight out to the ocean. There was only one house kinda to the side in front of her's, a sprawling spanish home on a cliff. It's soooo run down now but it would cost a fortune to fix it up and because it's historical it can't be torn down. Gloria's home sold a few years ago, as is, for well over 1 million, probably closer to 2.

I did some jewelry glueing this morning, still not the easiest of glues to handle though. Then I went to a new Whole Foods market close to me. OMG. OMG....the crowds, 100s of people in this store, lookie loos like me, wanting to see everything this store has. Lots of organic veggies and fruits, grass fed beef and a small lamb roast I bought to fix for dinner. This market has quite a lot of hot food bars, so how could I resist. $7.99 a lb. I ended up buying some roasted asparagus, sweet potatoes and those little mexican bananas and a piece of chicken Tika, should have passed on the chicken because after I ate it I weighed the bones.....4 oz. and it just tasted like plain chicken. But I also bought a chocolate babka which I thought looked good. OMG....I cut a piece of it after lunch and it's amazing. Turns out my mom and grandma used to make what they called nut rolls.....but really it was small babkas. My mom never put chocolate in hers but this is soooooo good.

Oh yes.....a big chocolate brownie.....boy am I going to be flying from the sugar which I don't consume anymore.

Barry: The mushrooms were also outstanding! A lady was shopping for mushrooms and we discussed them...I picked out maitake (hen of the woods) organic and also a bag of bunashimeji (beech mushrooms) also organic. I'm going to stir fry some this evening and do a taste test. Ever had these?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypsizygus_tessellatus#Cooking

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grifola_frondosa
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Mikie, dmcduck, bct and 1 other person like this.
  19. dmcduck

dmcduck Well-Known Member

We just had a BIG thunderstorm. We're getting the tail-end of Alberto. Fortunately, we had several indoor things on ito list of activities. Today we went to a museum of vintage fire equipment. As I was a firefighter in "once upon another lifetime" (as I like to say) I was in seventh heaven. Then we went to the Louisville Slugger museum.

Rock - No mint juleps for me, as I'm not a fan of bourbon. It amazes me how much stuff revolves around that drink.

I'd stick around to say more, but my phone keyboard is being exceedingly uncooperative and I am getting correspondingly more frustrated. I also don't know when my signal will drop again....

Hugz to all!

-Duckie
    bct, Starlight74, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  20. rockgor

Hi Kids

Not much news here. Yesterday was another of those days where I was asleep most
    of the time. After I had been up for 2-3 hours I went to the kitchen to get a drink.
    Was surprised to see how dark it was in the back yard. Turned out it was PM. I had been
    thinking it was morning all along.

Duckie, I discovered the Louisville Slugger museum on line a couple years ago. Posted a picture of it here. The giant bat is leaning against the old factory that used to make them.
    Bat is 120 feet long. Weighs about as much as 11 bull elephants.

If I could still travel I'd go there and see it. I love museums. Tiny local ones and vast
    national ones. Went to the Smithsonian over 40 years ago with a college friend. The two
    items that I still remember are The Spirit of St. Louis and the Hope Diamond. There was also somebody's office, but can't remember whose. Mark Twain?

Also saw an old "fire truck" somewhere. It was a hose wrapped around an axle. The
    axle had two huge wheels. It was pushed by the firemen or pulled by horses. Judy Garland would run alongside and yell, "Clang! Clang! Clang!" Is that the way you remember
    it, Duckie?

Sun, yup, there are lots of Victorian homes nearby. Ours was built in the 20s. Too old
    to be Victorian. Even too old to be Edwardian. King Edward was Victoria's son. He only
    reigned for ten year. Here's a pic on one of Gloria Swanson's homes. In New Jersey.

Mikie, glad to hear that Andy is doing well. Great that he had a good time being the
    mystery mascot. I can't go to Youtube to watch his magic trick anymore. Youtube has
    a new format. Inferior to the old one. Can't find some of my favorites. Funny that you had
    a Pepto Bismo day yesterday. So did I. First time I ever used it. Worked just fine. From
    its color I would expect that it is made by melting down Double Bubble Gum.

Julie, I talked to the fellows working on the AT&T project yesterday. They finally
    got some work done. It looks like they removed two squares of concrete from the sidewalk
    and then covered that area with tar. There is something in the center of the tar. Maybe
    a wood panel? Whatever it is, it's brown. Paper? Left over quilt scraps?

So you were taking Pepto too. The other drug of choice seems to be Kaopectate which
    is named after it's inventor, a college boxing champ from Finland. "KO" refers to 'knock
    out'. "Pekka" is a Finish first name. "Tate" is the name of the college (taken from the
    college of the same name in the movie Good News which starred June Allyson and Peter
    Lawford. 1947)

Hope some good news comes to all our porchers pronto.
    Rock

upload_2018-5-30_23-0-34.jpeg
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
    bct and Mikie like this.